Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
RobJohnson
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:53 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Well, after reading a previous topic I though "damn, my DC is loud as hell and it's annoying." so I decided to find out how to make it quieter.

I first thought of how someone said that older systems get louder so I thought maybe the track that the laser moved back and forth on just gets dried out and needs to be lubricated.

Soooo....I took apart my DC, looked under the GD rom and saw the two little bars the laser moves on so I took some WD 40 and sprayed it on a Q tip and rubbed it back and forth on the tracks, put the case back on, popped in NBA 2k (one game my DC is really loud on) and BAM! Problem solved! It's quiet as hell now! I can hardly ever hear it make a noise....now my DC is just like new..

I suggest you try it if you are not afraid of breaking your DC...

Peace.
Posted:
Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:33 pm
quote : #2
Fuck ... Im not taking my DC apart for that but FUCK I really do that its noise.... O well I guess ill do it.. thanks for the info

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:34 am
quote : #3
that is the sweetist avatar ive ever seen.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
-=Pennywise=-
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:20 am
quote : #4
sorry but whats a Q tip?
Posted:
Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:50 pm
quote : #5
A Q-tip is that little plastic stick with cotten on each end that you clean your ears with.

Looks sorta like those things they used in American Gladiators for stick fighting.
Posted:
Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:31 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTSC-U
there is a slight problem with that. it wont last long though. stuff like WD-40 attracts dust. so it will kinda screw it up after awhile and you have to open and clean it again. there are lubes that you can get that wont attract dust. I think one of em is called "white grease", no to sure though.

-=Pennywise=-
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:09 pm
quote : #7
oh yeah i know what a Q-tip is! My laser has abit of dust around it would it be ok to carfully clean it with a Q-tip?
Posted:
Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:41 pm
quote : #8
yeah be cautious tho.
rank 19
Posted:
Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:40 pm
quote : #9
FINALLY my DC shuts the hell up.
Posted:
Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:35 am
quote : #10
Well did the Q-tip thing and it really is quieter, but when cleaning the laser be carefully and make site its wet with water! Im guessing you could scratch it with a dry one, but that’s just my guess.

lanzarlaluna
rank 10
Posted:
Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:45 pm
quote : #11
I apologize to all who now recognize the loudness of their Dreamcasts and didn't before. RobJohnson, thanks for being bold and daring by spraying and rubbing shit on your Dreamcast. I'm looking around for some grease that will hopefully last longer than WD-40. I can't wait to silence that noisy nonsense.

aflyingcow
rank 15
Posted:
Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:09 pm
quote : #12
Nice avatar, nice tip! Thanks!

Holiday
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:19 am
quote : #13
Type: NTSC-U/C
You might wanna try something like Teflon.
They sell pens of it as radio shack, and it will probable work much better then WD-40

If I am thinking of the same thing that "white grease" is a type of wax, it might be to heavy for this sort of thing, but ifnot it will atract less dust then an oil based lube