Page 1 of 1
noonotthat
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:02 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I allways thought about this, if someone could some how convert one end into an ethernet plug then run it into a router, and then maby some one could make some sort of program like x box connect, then we could play all the vs. link cable games online. Of coarse this would take alot of time and work, but hey it's just a thought Rolling Eyes
Posted:
Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:14 pm
quote : #2
I always hate to bring someone down like this, but there's no way you're going to be able to tack an RJ-45 connector onto the end of a VS cable.

First reason: The VS feature operates (I believe) under the maple bus architecture. There is no TCP/IP protocol communication between the two. It's a pure point -> point connection, but I think it runs under Sega's own proprietary communications transport protocol.

Second reason: Cat - 5 = 8 strands / 4 twisted pairs... Actually, wait, the VS cable does use about 8 / 9 wires, but it still wouldn't work. There's hardware in between.

With that aside, there's always the "coder's cable." I have tried using Hyperterminal and a coder's cable to dump communication packets, but I think it stopped at the LCP initialization because I wasn't returning an ack command.

There has been a couple people who have tunneled Virtual On: OT's VS capabilities, but it was with a piece of software that ran as a shell and tunneled the data from the serial over to the BBA / 56K modem and then through a server. It's still unknown whether or not this works. I have all of the files, but am still looking for someone to test this with.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:19 pm
quote : #3
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
There has been a couple people who have tunneled Virtual On: OT's VS capabilities, but it was with a piece of software that ran as a shell and tunneled the data from the serial over to the BBA / 56K modem and then through a server. It's still unknown whether or not this works. I have all of the files, but am still looking for someone to test this with.

I have already debugged this but havnt had to time to put up information on it. Long story short it is buggy, and barely works. The network software won't even boot up on any of the Dreamcasts I own. The programmer is too busy and does not plan to work on the project further. It also does not run over 56k good, or at all. This would be only for BBA users.
Posted:
Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:28 pm
quote : #4
Yeah, I found your original post through Google about a week ago when I started looking into this a little more. Very Happy

That's a shame to hear it's that bad. Perhaps he'll release his work as an open source project in the future. It'd be interesting to see how he did it. Too bad F355 uses a different protocol.

noonotthat
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:13 pm
quote : #5
well if you ever want to test somethign that u need bba for count me in, I have one Very Happy
Posted:
Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:50 pm
quote : #6
Just out of interest i decided to burn the dc side of this software just to see if it would boot on a PAL dc and to my surprise it did and booted voot no probs either.

This was using the cdi i found on the site, didnt try the nero file as i can never get nero to burn dc stuff properly.

Shame this is supposed to be really buggy as it looks like the guy as put alot of effort into it.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:17 pm
quote : #7
Yea but, what are you using? Cust Plus? Or the network debug driver. Cust Plus is just for testing customized Virtuoids. Cust lus will boot. However the network debug driver has problems, which could be hardware related depending on the Dreamcast model. Even Cust Plus has some bad bugs in it.
Posted:
Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:15 am
quote : #8
Type: Pal
lordnikon wrote:
Dreamcast ™ wrote:

I have already debugged this but havnt had to time to put up information on it. Long story short it is buggy, and barely works. The network software won't even boot up on any of the Dreamcasts I own. The programmer is too busy and does not plan to work on the project further. It also does not run over 56k good, or at all. This would be only for BBA users.

Why do people start things if they cant finish? seems kind of pointless and a real waste of the persons life during the time he was working ona project that would never be finished (By him/her anyway). What bugs more is a lot of the times its not that life circumstances got in the way and they had to leave it or have a break they just move on to the next program leaving one unfinished. The programer version of by a game a week man I suppose.

Laters
Posted:
Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:06 pm
quote : #9
I have spoken at length with the programmer already. Trust me, it is indeed life getting in the way. He has an almost obsessive interest in such things, and is actually forcing himself not to mess with the code. He stresses that he has to concentrate on school, job, etc etc.

I am in exactly the same boat. I have things that are unfinished in relation to Dreamcast Online. At the moment I have no choice but to prevent myself from working on intense Dreamcast Online research. Lately I have been tying up loose ends, and in a week or so, will not be touching Dreamcast Online research for quite a while. Probobly 1 to 2 years. I will be playing online games of course and interacting with everyone, but my research days are on pause.

Why? I spent 3 years just working on all of this. I havn't done much else. I had very little regular employment. I only made money on the side from client projects, but that money just went to fund game purchases, barely cover my taxes and to buy hardware for working on game console research. I now have to get a job, and get back to college and wrap up my degree at all costs. I have sacrificed and put as much time into it as I can. I have to FORCE myself not to mess with moe research right now, because I am completly obsessed with it. If I do I will only delay getting my life back on track.

This is the same exact thing the programmer for this software went through. If he messes with this software he could end up missing work, classes, or other responsibilites. He won't touch the software right now at all. I will contact him again in a year or so.
Posted:
Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:06 pm
quote : #10
Type: Pal
Fair enougth, I shouldent tar everyone with the same brush but I was only stating how some people are.

Some of us take the obsession things in a different way, mine was always with the actual playing of the games. I use to participate 95% in one game at a time and play that for 3-7 hours a night. At times I played BMO til 4am or later every morning getting up to drive 5 to 100 miles for work at 6am. As I have said before I was even on BMO on the day I got married at 05.30 am and pi$$ed as well. Luckily I didnt have an early morning wedding. AFO was my next worst offender I would quite often play that for very long stints of 11pm ish til 3-6am on weekends.

Now I have managed to get everything under control and learn that I cannot sacrafice my well being for the sake of a game. PLay for an hour a night now 23.30 to 00.30 with Segadreamcaster and we vary the games also.

Laters
Posted:
Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:02 pm
quote : #11
like i said i dont know how to program, but im just wondering, maby since you wont be workign on your projects with the info you have collected, maby you caould pass it on to some one else with experice so that progress would still be made while you were taking a break.
Posted:
Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:46 pm
quote : #12
noonotthat: I have nothing that is available to release to the public. I am not saying I have stuff that I won't release. I am saying, there is nothing available for me to release. I have no mystery projects that I have not told anyone about. All I am doing is wrapping up some stuff that I had already been working on before. I won't be getting involved in any new endevours for quite a while. I don't have anything to release on such things because they were merely Hunches or Leads, which I have not explored at all. So I have nothing to release.
Posted:
Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:52 pm
quote : #13
Yeah it was Cust Plus that i burned

I think what made me think its was the software is because when u boot Cust Plus there is a net interface logo in the bottem right corner on the sega screen. i got all the other files from the website and i'll give them a try just outa sheer intrest plus its give me something to do and hey i mite learn something new about my DC too lol

Topside
unknown
Posted:
Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:53 am
quote : #14
Blast wrote:
lordnikon wrote:
Dreamcast ™ wrote:

Why do people start things if they cant finish? seems kind of pointless and a real waste of the persons life during the time he was working ona project that would never be finished (By him/her anyway). What bugs more is a lot of the times its not that life circumstances got in the way and they had to leave it or have a break they just move on to the next program leaving one unfinished. The programer version of by a game a week man I suppose.

Laters

I deffinently here you. This is too common in the DC community. It seems like to me sometimes these ppl create these projects just for the point of us getting our hopes up. its like they get a retarded rush from having us depend on them. Nikon knows the guy so I believe him when he says life issues are interfering, HOWEVER, that excedingly generic excuse these days becomes noll in boid when he stops the project yet doesnt release its source. I talk to a guy on MSN who knows a chanka crew member. He was informed the group broke up yet the group hasnt told us this on their site nor released open source info. That is why this is growing old. How much time could it take to post on A site that your threw?! If he doesn't want to release the source just because its his why make it for public use? Atleast he could sale it to someone like Nikon or Schthack, someone who communicates with their followers. I think everyone aggrees he has a right to his life but taking us for a ride aint cool. Mad