Page 1 of 2
X
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:20 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi,

I am using a VGA box with my DC, and I downloaded the Utopia boot disc image to use to load my US version of Quake 3 on my PAL Dreamcast. However it says that the 'game' (which is the boot disc) does not support the AV cable.

Any way around this? Or alternative boot discs for PAL DCs which will work with VGA?

Thanks.

MK
rank 16
Posted:
Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:55 pm
quote : #2
Codebreaker is compatible with VGA. I've gotten non-VGA games to work on VGA with the Codebreaker.

But you could still use UTOPIA with the VGA. Just turn the monitor off, listen to make sure the disc loaded. Swap... wait till all the reading noises are done, and press whatever button you need to press to run the game. Ta-da. If it's a VGA compatible game you're booting with the Utopia, it [to my theory] should work.
Posted:
Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:35 am
quote : #3
Utopia is crap and illegal.. better use the Xploder demo;

http://www.segaonline.nl/downloads/xploder.zip
Posted:
Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:16 am
quote : #4
Why is it illegal? Did they use code from official discs? I know Utopia did some DC rips, but that doesn't make their loader illegal...

Another option is getting a backup of the game, which selfboots. I don't see any moral problem in having a backup of a game you already own.
Posted:
Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:44 pm
quote : #5
Thanks for the help but I give up burning cds. I've ordered one of these.. http://image4.play-asia.com/170/PA.01099.004.jpg

SNKy
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:56 am
quote : #6
phredreeke wrote:
Why is it illegal? Did they use code from official discs? I know Utopia did some DC rips, but that doesn't make their loader illegal...

They're using Sega libraries without their permission.. For the biggest part Utopia is a hacked techdemo from Sega themselves..
Posted:
Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:13 am
quote : #7
X wrote:
Thanks for the help but I give up burning cds. I've ordered one of these.. http://image4.play-asia.com/170/PA.01099.004.jpg

From what I've heard, that's the best boot disc there is. It allows you to select whether it should run at 50 or 60hz, and allow running many non-vga games in vga.
Posted:
Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:55 am
quote : #8
Type: PAL
X the one you have ordered is the best I know of. Its at great value aswell.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
mehrsein
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:40 pm
quote : #9
I have both DC-X and Xploder. Both have their pros and cons; biggest con on DC-X is, it doesn't display on VGA Sad Actually it works, but you'd have to blind-control it, as MK explained for Utopia. I usually use Xploder for VGA and DC-X for RGB.
Posted:
Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:12 pm
quote : #10
My DC-X came today and it works fine with VGA.

mehrsein
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:57 pm
quote : #11
Oh! That's interesting. I've just retested it with mine, it doesn't display on VGA for me, neither with an NTSC nor with a PAL DC. Maybe there are different versions of DC-X out? I can't find anything like a serial number on the disc or case. It's one of those playstation type black discs. I will try to find some version info on the cdrom part with a PC later.

Posted Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:30 pm:

No version info to be found at all on the DC-X disc. It appears empty on a PC drive. But I found another clue, suggesting that mine may actually "work" with vga too, it just puts out a signal with an odd frequency that my TFT (or VGA box?) cannot handle.

X, do you use it with a CRT or TFT monitor?
Posted:
Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:36 am
quote : #12
Hey dude. I use a CRT monitor, a real old one (getting new one soon just for DC).

I bought my DC-X from Play Asia, this link http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-w-49-en-70-uj.html

Where did you get yours just out of interest? And how long ago?

Quote:
It's one of those playstation type black discs.

Do you mean the non-label side?

mehrsein
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:55 am
quote : #13
I think I got mine off ebay years ago Smile It's exactly the same packaging as in the link you posted, and even the item code listed there is exactly the one printed beneath the barcode on the back of the cover. And yes, the non-label side is black. The label side is printed black on standard CD silver.

Well actually not seeing the controls of DC-X on VGA is not a big deal after all, since there are not many. And those that are there are irrelevant for VGA mode anyway (PAL/NTSC mode, RGB/RCA/VGA connection).
Posted:
Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:13 am
quote : #14
My non label side is like this

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:43 am
quote : #15
lurker - is that the backside of your dc-x? Intresting coz mine is black - like it was written here. Seems there are different versions out.