Page Location: Home > Classic Sega > Topic
Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:49 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
My goal was to see if you could use a Saturn Mission stick as a hidden Twin Stick. My story is as follows:

When I originally bought my Saturn lot, it came with a joystick known as the "Saturn Mission Stick." I payed little attention to it until the day I noticed that it had a strange secondary input port on it. I tried to find something that could fit in there, and found that Genesis controllers fit, but don't really do anything. It's similar to a COM port. Not sure if it'd do anything by hooking it up. I might try that later on, but anyways...

The Mission Stick has a really unique swiveling base that allows you to use the joystick part on either the left or right. It's also removable, and what really caught my attention was how it locked in with enough room that you could fit another one in there, so I decided to track down another one to see if I could turn a Mission Stick into a Twin Stick.

I got the secondary controller in the mail and quickly cleaned it off and set it up, but much to my dismay, it was broken. Someone had taken it apart and there were parts missing. Even worse was the hack job done inside on the wires. I had to strip / resolder and insulate them. Sad

Luckily, a few wires shorting each other out was the only problem so I was back on my way to testing.

My finidings:

Virtual On: Netlink Edition - Won't even recognize the controller as being valid. When I inserted my Netlink cartridge and booted the game up, I was told that an "unsupported peripheral was detected."
AMOK - recognizes the controller, but the added left joystick unit only can change the view with the trigger and B / C button.
Cyberia - absolutely nothing. same as Virtual On.
Cyber Speedway - same as AMOK
Mechwarrior 2 - nothing
Solar Eclipse - nothing

I'm hoping a game like Wing Arms (which is meant to be used with the Mission Stick) offers some added functionality.

Here's my controller and what it looks like when in "Twin Stick" fashion.

Last edited by Dreamcast â„¢ on Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:05 pm
quote : #2
Very interesting research you did there.
maybe in the least you can have a two player game on equal terms for games that support it.
Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:15 pm
quote : #3
Yeah, but I'd rather have a "Twin Stick". Very Happy.

How do the joysticks on the Twin Stick move? Are they analog or do they work like the d-pad? That may be my problem. The mission stick is analog. When you want to play VO with the NiGHTS controller, you have to switch it to the digital pad.

I might still get a Saturn -> Dreamcast converter to see if it would work with VO:OT.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:21 pm
quote : #4
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
I was told that an "unsupported periphereal was detected."

You should know I hail you for that project - but the message is 2 funny Smile - simple true.
Posted:
Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:33 pm
quote : #5
Laughing Thanks (spelling error corrected *peripheral)