1, 2, 3  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:10 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I just found out this morning. Phantasy Star Online will be terminated world-wide on March 31st, 2007. This will impact not only the Dreamcast versions of PSO, but GameCube PSO episode 1&2, as well as episode 3. The termination is not specific to Japan, it will be a worldwide server termination. Sonic Team specifically notes this on the news listing. This is a crushing blow to the OC community as a whole and OnlineConsole gaming at large.

Let me first say: Please do not panic.

There are multiple alternative server options available. I will be taking steps to ensure that members of OC have a place to play legit, uncompromised Phantasy Star Online.

Until then please enjoy Phantasy Star Online, and take advantage of any official holiday events while you still can.

I will obviously have more to say about this down the road, but for right now I need to collect my thoughts. One thing I will say, is that the Dreamcast Online community is having fewer games to worry about as time goes on. PSO going officially offline was inevitable. The one good thing that comes from games being terminated is no more stress and worrying about when the game is going to go offline. Atleast now we know, and can make preparations for the future.

You can read the official news posting at the Dreamcast JPN PSO news page here:
http://pso.dricas.ne.jp/pso_dricas.html

Note: The Xbox version and PSOBB for the PC will be remaining online. However since these do not pertain to the systems covered here at OnlineConsoles, please do not discuss them on the OC forums. Thank you.

Last edited by lordnikon on Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:55 pm; edited 12 times in total
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:19 am
quote : #2
Type: PAL
It's really sad, this game is the best online game for Dreamcast and soon we will not play it Crying or Very sad

RickBB
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:27 am
quote : #3
Come on, everybody knew this was gonna hapen someday, but thanks to people like lordnikon and schatck, we do not have to worry. Very Happy

Thanks for all you do for the DC comunity lordnikon. Mr. Green
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:57 am
quote : #4
This is sad news Crying or Very sad , I've played DC and GC versions before and is sad to see them go...though we knew this was going to happen sooner or later like you said Lordnikon. So it's good to have a official announcement almost 4 months before it happens.

I need to go online with Ep III before it shuts down, since I've never done it and say a good bye to Ep I & II as well. Shame I can't go online with my DC since I have no Dial-Up...

I now see that probably a decrease of the Dreamcast Broadband Adaptor price will happen...I was thinking of getting one to be able to play PSO DC...

The good thing is that we may see an increase of population of both DC and GC versions during this period, hope this happens, PSO deserve a good farewell.
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:06 pm
quote : #5
Yea I think people should get online during Xmas for sure to get pictures taken with the Christmas decorations on DC PSO. I know I will. (DaMan I promise!! I promise!!! hehe)

Also, it is interesting to know that PAL Dreamcast PSO will have been online for 3 years and 3 months after the US version was originally terminated. Most of us figured it would be terminated sooner than that. So I guess I am gratefull it has been up as long as it has.

I do have a sneaking suspicion about these server terminations. My current theory is that Sega is terminating the games to force users to migrate over to Phantasy Star Universe. It hasn't been selling well (Amazon slashed its price to 19.99), and the fact that there are still hundreds of people playing GameCube PSO in Japan, makes me think Sega is pulling an Electronic Arts here.

For shame... For shame...
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:43 pm
quote : #6
Well I'll have to spend the rest of this month on PSO for the Dreamcast. I'm sad to see it go. I got about a year and 2 months in on official sega servers with the Dreamcast, and I got some time in on Gamecube as well. So I have no regrets. I've had a lot of good times with it. And, I got S-Rank on Cmode before server termination! A big WOOP to that! I'll have to be very certain about the strict maintainance of legit play on any alternate servers before I'll ever go online with it, or perhaps I may play in locked teams with only people I know. Ok PSO players, let's fire up our Dreamcasts and do some item hunting while we can! I definitely won't be playing PSU as much until after the this is over with, that's for sure. And you know about the whole PSO-PSU thing, I remember thinking many times that the Gamecube version actually has more people on it. I have only seen 2 universes full at any given time, and many times I've only seen Universe 1 full. I kind of thought we'd see a PSU shutdown before a PSO shutdown, but I guess I was wrong about that.
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:09 pm
quote : #7
i remember back about a month ago when the japanese version went through its problems i asked what is keeping sega from terminating the pal servers, and well apparently nothing even if it means going against all of its loyal fans that still play their final console. did they even state a reason for doing this? i cant read japanese otherwise id look at that link. this makes me wonder what has happened to sega, its almost as though they have become EA. bad sega! no, you do that outside! Mad
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:33 pm
quote : #8
Type: Pal
We cant really grumble about this its happened such a looong time after even the most optomistic person would have expected it too. I think its been in the planning for a while though the end of JP hunters licence's not so far in the past is no coincidence. The best part about this is we know its comming like the end of seganet its not going to be a shock overnight loss with no explination like Worms world party for example.

I sure will try and get on PSO before then end but dont know if i can, my PSO DC has a resetting issue that I cannot seem to fix and it always erase's my chars quite often. ITs not resolved by the normal reset fix so am at a bit of a loss. Worth another look though with this event looming.

Laters
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:37 pm
quote : #9
Every gaming company I know would choose profit over keeping their fans happy,
sadly that's just the way things are...

SEGA hasn't been getting anything to keep those servers up (specially now that japanese PSO is free),
so they had to cut some expenses. I don't think they're BAD though, because they did let their fans
have fun for several years. There are other companies which don't even let their games up for 2 years!

I think we should rather be thankful.
rank 19
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:55 pm
quote : #10
yes if pso was run by most companies it wouldve been down probably 3 years ago, but sega isnt/wasnt most companies, they made their games for the fans not for the money, they made games quality gaming experiences and not the same thing weve seen over and over again to make a quick buck, the sega i knew wouldnt have cut off the servers to get people to play phantasy star universe. i do however respect sega for keeping the servers up years longer than they probably shouldve and for giving 4 1/2 months notice, i can understand sega taking the servers down but the fact that they do it supposedly so that their fans would move onto psu is why i am angry about this. now unless they have a better reason for shutting down the servers than wanting people to move onto psu and give them money i may lose all respect for what sega has mutated into.
DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:58 pm
quote : #11
lordnikon wrote:

Also, it is interesting to know that PAL Dreamcast PSO will have been online for 3 years and 3 months after the US version was originally terminated. Most of us figured it would be terminated sooner than that. So I guess I am gratefull it has been up as long as it has.

That made it worth it for me, I was usually playing like I was on borrowed time.
Even though we knew this day would come, its still surprising to hear.
I Hope to get some serious time on C-Mode multiple S-ranks maybe? (1 per character)
Starwalker
rank 14
Posted:
Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:16 am
quote : #12
I don't think they are closing the DC and GC servers to get people to move to PSU only, what they want is that people move to more recent versions, like PSO BB, or PSU. It’s comprehensible that the Dreamcast servers close, it will be more than 6 years of PSO DC. About the GC version is harder to understand because people had to make a big investment to play the game. Though probably not may people played it now, except for the Japanese people; Episode III is an exclusive GC title but only a few people play it anyway. So it’s sad to know that they will close, but this had to happen sooner or later, at least they told us when.
rank 44
Posted:
Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:03 am
quote : #13
id like to hear what sega-europe have to say on the matter, still quite sad.
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:08 am
quote : #14
Yeah, very sad...will have to see if I can get on and play a bit after Christmas, havent played PSO online for months to be honest...but hey, we have had it for a long long time, and at least we do have options for this particular title....the future is taking a temporary fade in brightness, but the future will be bright again, have no fear Smile

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:41 am
quote : #15
I have mixed emotions. While I'm very sad to see it go as it will be the final official Sega server to go offline, I'm also very happy because soon I'll be able to play PSO online with you.

I've worked really hard and spent a great deal of time on my NTSC character and was always a little put off by the thought of having to start all the way over with a PAL version character. I never wanted to play on the unofficial servers because I didn't want anything to happen to my character, but I know that everything possible will be done to ensure OC's ship is legit and I'm really looking forward to playing.

Fortunately, there's not much to be upset about since we knew this was borrowed time. Keeping the PAL / NTSC-J servers running for this amount of time was an incredible showing of respect towards the players on Sega's part.

So make the most of the time you have left with it and don't fret too much over the details. Just enjoy it for all that it's worth.