Page Location: Home > Support > PC-DC Server > Topic
Avalach21
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:55 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
To the best of my knowledge, I'd say I'm pretty close to getting my DC->PC connection working.

Alright here is what's going on:

I dial-up with my dreamcast, using the "Sega Dreamcast Web Browser." To be honest, I never really looked into this until just now, and after reading through the guides, I remember "2.0" being mentioned and don't see a "2.0" any where on the jewel case. Well anyways, I dial up and then go over to my Windows 98 PC and click "Allow Caller Access." The modem makes all sorts of noises like it should (I think?) Then the Dreamcast goes from "dialing modem" to "Modem connecting" and then says "modem disconnect." Then the process starts all over again.

On my PC, the status in the Dial-up server goes from "monitoring" to "hanging up" right as the dreamcast goes from "connecting" to "modem disconnect."

I'm using windows 98 and have tried both winroute lite and winroute pro. I don't think that winroute has anything to do with this problem, as the exact same situation occurs regardless of having winroute running or not at the time.

Some things that I have noticed that don't seem right:

When entering the settings into the dreamcast browser, I don't get a "modem int" option (where you enter AT&F0)
When I open up Winroute pro, there is no RAS medium in the interface table.
As I just realized, I don't think I'm using the 2.0 version of the browser.

Again, if there are any further clarifacations I can provide, please ask! I really want to get this working, and I feel like I'm so close. If anyone can either A. help me out or B. tell me that I'm not as close as I think I am, I would appreciate it either way. Thanks!! I hope someone reads this!!

tylorwalls
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:18 pm
quote : #2
Id like to know if this is possible using an XP based system. I too recently bought a dreamcast on eBay and I would LOVE to get online and play with some of you guys! I am an avid fan of gaming, and as for right now, and I may get funny looks for this.......but the Wii just isnt enough for me, so I went back to my Sega roots. Is it possible any other way than buying that ridiculously expensive BBA? or does anyone have a spare they would like to sell?? Very Happy Very Happy

Tylor.

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:17 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
tylorwalls wrote:
Id like to know if this is possible using an XP based system. I too recently bought a dreamcast on eBay and I would LOVE to get online and play with some of you guys! I am an avid fan of gaming, and as for right now, and I may get funny looks for this.......but the Wii just isnt enough for me, so I went back to my Sega roots. Is it possible any other way than buying that ridiculously expensive BBA? or does anyone have a spare they would like to sell?? Very Happy Very Happy

Tylor.

You can use an XP based system, but it's not easy.

http://www.consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/

SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:56 am
quote : #4
I tried and failed to get it working despite the helpful threads around here. I even tried getting my ISP to help me through it. It went something like this:

"What's a Dreamcast ? **** off wasting our time" etc

There is a guy who advertises in the local rag who states he can solve any PC related problem for $50. I may try that if a cheap BB doesn't appear soon.

Avalach21
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:00 pm
quote : #5
OMG OMG OMG OMG I GOT IT TO CONNECT I THINK.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The status box says in the Dial-Up Server says

"avalach21 connected since 10:56 PM on "

The Dreamcast though says "Unable to contact Host. Could not look up its name."

What I did was, since the thing kept hanging up, I went to the registry and changed the string in hangup to the same thing as answer - ATA. After doing that, Windows acknowledges that it connects. The dreamcast seems to be having some problems though, and I will look further into it. If anyone can help me out PLEASE DO!!!! I am SOOOOO CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:12 pm:

AHHHH

What does this mean? "unable to contact host?" Please if anyone can address this, I would be forever in your debt. I've been trying to get this to work for the past 3 days!!!!

Posted Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:21 am:

Alright I indeed did get the web browser to connect.

Haven't tried any games yet. I'll probobly run into a few problems getting games to work. I have never even played any of these games before, so am I an absolute noobie when it comes to setting these up (Phantasy Star Online.) I just hope you guys will answer my questions if I run into any problems. Thanks guys!!!

Wow, and my dreamcast's battery or whatever just crapped out. I keep having to reset my ISP settings. What does this mean. I'm guessing there is a battery in there that saves the time/ISP settings etc, but I think it's dead. How do I replace this? Again, thanks a lot guys. I think most of you guys are in Europe, while I'm in America, so usually it takes a nights sleep to accumulate some responses.

Sorry to post so much, but now I'm getting that unable to contact host error again. Hmm whatever i'm tired now, so i'll look into it tommorow. If anyone can address any of these concerns I'd appreciate it. Good Night.