Topic: L.O.L. Lack of Love

Page 1 of 2
X
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:14 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
After watching the consolevania vid this game has taken my interest. Does anyone here have it or played it? Worth buying?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:13 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yes I have Lack of Love. This game is incredible. It is a real hidden gem on the Dreamcast. Ryuichi Sakamoto did the music in the game and even colaborated with the developer on some of the gameplay elements.

This game can best be described as an "experimental" rpg. I place this game in the same category as Rez when it comes to pushing visual asthetics. There is barely an interface in the game and there is little to no text at all.

L.O.L. takes tons of risks that other games refuse to take. This is a very atmospheric game, and the intro personifies this more than anything. You really feel like you are an organism on an alien planet.

I recommend anyone who is looking for a truly enriching game experience to get this game. It is not cheap though, and can be somewhat hard to track down.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:17 am
quote : #3
nikon, you say it has minimal text. I assume that means it's playable for non japanese speakers ?

X
rank 10
Posted:
Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:31 pm
quote : #4
Thanks Nikon. I will probably try to get it when I have some extra cash.

Posted Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:36 pm:

Oh yeah and there were 2 copies of Lack of Love last night on eBay, now they are gone!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:00 pm
quote : #5
SNK 47 wrote:
nikon, you say it has minimal text. I assume that means it's playable for non japanese speakers ?

Actually no I was not referring to langauge barriers. I was specifically saying there is NO text in the game. The only place you see text really is in the options menu.

As far as the language barrier is concerned, the game is easy for anyone to play, because it focuses on interaction and exploration rather than text. Instead of there being an elaborate text tutorial, the game has visual cues which hint at something you should do to progress.
X wrote:
Oh yeah and there were 2 copies of Lack of Love last night on eBay, now they are gone!

Yep, this is the general trend with this game. It is available in brief bursts. Sometimes months go by without it being available on ebay at all. And then suddenly a few copies will pop up. Its definatly a tricky game to find, but its not impossible.
Posted:
Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:47 am
quote : #6
I'm very interested in playing this game. Would it work on a UK machine if I used a boot disc?

I remember listening to the OST for this game, composed by Ryuichi Sakamoto, back in my music student days. Ryuichi Sakamoto was, and still is, my favourite contemporary composer. Did you know he actually composed the intro music you hear when starting up the Dreamcast? Smile

Kannibal
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:17 am
quote : #7
wow...it's like if this game is almost a myth worth busting...

How much would this game average financially?

and yes, I have a question...are there any other games like this?

I have almost never seen a game where there is no text at all!

they must've worked out this game so that people don't get lost!

how much time would've it tooken to create each quest/mission/etc?
Posted:
Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:16 am
quote : #8
Best vid Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pARffij0KaA

Neoblast
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:09 am
quote : #9
Type: PAL
Hmm, I've tried this game and I must say it's great.
But I don't know how to save the game...
Vmu screen is white all the time, I went to level two, it did not save anything, I made a reset to see if there was any data butt there was none...
Does this even have vmu support?
How can I save the game here?

Thanks

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:42 am
quote : #10
Yes it has VMU support. There is an option to save I just can't remember off the top of my head what it is.
Posted:
Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:00 am
quote : #11
Type: NTSU-U
there are save points in every stage. they are the glowing diamond like things on the floor. You just stand on them and rest.
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:51 pm
quote : #12
Just scored the soundtrack for a sweet 26$. I doubt I'll be able to play the game anytime soon.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:00 pm
quote : #13
I think track 5 is an actual live recording of someone playing the accordian. You can hear the instrument being played by the brushing movements in the background.
Posted:
Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:15 pm
quote : #14
Im having damn problems with this game D: I burned it a couple days ago, and played through the first evolution. On the second level, i had two major glitches, one where the bug that was supposed to run all the way to the top of the tree glitched and diddnt go all the way to the top, and 2nd i couldnt get the bug that was sleeping to wake up when i called him D:. Also, does anyone know where im supposed to be for the fish to come out and communicate with me? I cant find the damn spot lol

Neoblast
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:31 pm
quote : #15
Type: PAL
Its a pretty good damn game...
probably you need a FAQ, that is not a bug, it's justnot the correct way to do it.