segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:35 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi guys,

You may or may not have seen my two posts recently, one about a Quake server and one about a PC-DC server? Well I have now got them setup ok or so it would appear, but only when directly connected to the internet via my broadband modem.

Now, what I need to do next is get it working from behind my two linksys routers, but I am having trouble with knowing what to do with the settings, please help me out..here are the two threads for some background info:

Quake 3 Server thread

PC-DC Server via Winodws ME thread

OK, this is the interface I am faced with on the wirless router and the wired router is pretty much the same:

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/7637/untitledeg3.gif

As you can see I have Quake in there at the moment, but it doesn't seem to work like that Sad

So any suggestions?

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:38 am
quote : #2
Behind two routers? That's going to cause a problem. It needs to go like this:

[CABLE / DSL]
^
|-> ROUTER 1 (192.168.248.1)
   ^   
   |___ ROUTER 2 (WIRELESS) (192.168.248.2)
   |___ PC / DC SERVER (192.168.248.3)

Make sure the IP of your PC / DC server is right. The IP ending in '1' is usually the router's address, not a DHCP assigned address. You also might want to make sure that the PC / DC server has a static IP. Not sure how you do that with a Linksys. Look for an area to assign static IPs addresses by MAC address. I think I remember Linksys not having that ability, though.

Go to start -> run -> and run "winipcfg" (I think ME has that) and get the IP address of the PC / DC server. That's what you need to forward to in your router.

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:42 pm
quote : #3
Hi, thanks for the reply Smile

OK, well have tried what you have suggested, but as soon as I change the IP address of the second router to 192.168.248.2 it just dies and there is no connection at all Sad

Kinda getting the feeling this is never gonna work, not with me doing it anyway...I'm ok with htis stuff up to a point but I feel a little out of my league here..lol

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:57 pm
quote : #4
What is the model number on the wireless router? It may have what's called "bridging mode." In Layman's terms, that basically means it's going to act as just a wireless communication device. There's no configuring or anything. You're basically building an imaginary electronic bridge from the input to the output and bypassing the router's security / DHCP / and internet connection software.

If you can set your wireless router to that mode, you'd be good to go as far as my configuration is concerned.

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:36 pm
quote : #5
OK, this is the current setup:

Surfboard modem (SB4100) Arrow Linksys wireless router (WRT54GS v2) Arrow Main PC & Linksys wired router (BEFSR41 v2) Arrow PC-DC server/Quake server PC & Dreamcast, PS2, XBOX

Haven't seen any mention of a bridgin mode on my travel..lol...but will take a look next time I dabble Smile

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:12 pm
quote : #6
The wireless router has three extra ports you can use (since the wired router is taking one). I'd suggest running the PC / DC server directly into the wireless router.

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:06 am
quote : #7
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
The wireless router has three extra ports you can use (since the wired router is taking one). I'd suggest running the PC / DC server directly into the wireless router.

I could do that, but the trouble is then I have nowhere to plug in my DC, PS2 and XBOX...DC being the most important of course Smile

The course of action I have currently taken is to plug the line for the wireless router into port one of the wired router, the PC-DC server machine into port 2 of the wired router and plugged the DC into port 3. This then leaves me space for PS2 or XBOX.

This means I have completely cut out the WAN on the wired router so I am (I think) now basically just using it as a hub? I have also changed the PC-DC PC to a static IP in the network setting, dunno if this is any good? but that is now set as 192.168.248.3..so I have:

Wireless router: 192.168.248.1
wired router: 192.168.248.2 (DHCP disabled)
PC-DC server PC: 192.168.248.3

I can access the internet with the PC-DC server like this and I can use the DC online, havent tried PS2 but sure it will work.

However, I have still been unable to get a quake server to register in the master list like this, I have tried forwarding the port in the wireless router to both 192.168.248.2 (wired router) and 192.168.248.3 (PC-DC server PC) neither have worked as of yet.

Bear in mind I also have winroute pro running, have tried it both with and without the port registered in port mapping?

lol, this is just for the quake server, havent even tried to forward anything for the PC-DC server yet..lol

Posted Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:38 am:

UPDATE:

Just a quick update on this.

I now seem to be able to play both max pool (tested in full) and 4x4 evo (not fully tested but can sign in and access the lobby) over the PC-DC server, without forwarding any ports on the router. I do not seem to be able to connect the starlancer or Quake 3 Arena however, Starlancer tells me it cannot contact gmaespy and Quake simply freezes...any suggestions?

The Quake 3 server will still not show up in the master list when behind the router...more ideas please...I currently have it setup at listed in this post

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:38 am
quote : #8
You really need a switch to replace that wired router. Going through two DHCPs screws everything up. Just temporarily connect the PC / DC server to the wireless router and forward the necessary ports to the IP the wireless router is assigning the PC / DC server. Don't just unplug / plug the cable into the wireless router. You need to restart or "ipconfig /renew" the PC / DC server so the wireless router registers it and leases it an IP in its range.

Also, in Winroute, make sure you forward the entire range (1-65535) to your Dreamcast. I think the IP is 192.168.55.2 on a 98 machine, and 192.168.1.2 on a 2000 / XP machine.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:56 am
quote : #9
segadreamcaster wrote:
I do not seem to be able to connect the starlancer or Quake 3 Arena however, Starlancer tells me it cannot contact gmaespy and Quake simply freezes...any suggestions?

This looks like you need to use the line swap trick. I can't believe I never explained this in-detail in the Win98 PD-DC guide. You have to hit dial on the DC with the phone cord plugged into the wall, then after a few second unplug it from the wall and then into the PC modem. I have to do this for both Starlancer and Quake 3 Arena, and if I do not, I get the same exact results you get. Starlancer can't connect to GameSpy, and Quake 3 Freezes.
Posted:
Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:05 pm
quote : #10
Thank you both for your replies Smile

Dreamcast ™ wrote:
You really need a switch to replace that wired router. Going through two DHCPs screws everything up. Just temporarily connect the PC / DC server to the wireless router and forward the necessary ports to the IP the wireless router is assigning the PC / DC server. Don't just unplug / plug the cable into the wireless router. You need to restart or "ipconfig /renew" the PC / DC server so the wireless router registers it and leases it an IP in its range.

Also, in Winroute, make sure you forward the entire range (1-65535) to your Dreamcast. I think the IP is 192.168.55.2 on a 98 machine, and 192.168.1.2 on a 2000 / XP machine.

OK, I am pretty sure I have already pretty much tried this in amongst my messing about but will give it a go later Smile

However, I cannot forward all the ports to the DC because otherwise I won't be able to access the net on the machine at all, which would presmably mean that a Quake server won't run at the same time?

lordnikon wrote:
This looks like you need to use the line swap trick. I can't believe I never explained this in-detail in the Win98 PD-DC guide. You have to hit dial on the DC with the phone cord plugged into the wall, then after a few second unplug it from the wall and then into the PC modem. I have to do this for both Starlancer and Quake 3 Arena, and if I do not, I get the same exact results you get. Starlancer can't connect to GameSpy, and Quake 3 Freezes.

The method I have been using, is to set the dreamcast to dial a series of zeros and actually have the main phone line connected at all times so when I have been testing this the phone line is never actually removed, I suppose this could be the problem, but I do know that Quake did connect once with this method...perhaps I will try by swapping the phone line, however I thought starlancer supported blind dial anyway?

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:52 pm
quote : #11
segadreamcaster wrote:
however I thought starlancer supported blind dial anyway?

We have found that it also depends on the modem you are using. DreamcastTM can connect with starlancer without the swap trick, I cannot, and need to swap the cable in order to get starland online via a PC-DC server.
Posted:
Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:14 pm
quote : #12
Ah ok, thats interesting...will definately give it a try later on and report back, but I still would have thought that having the phone line plugged in (at the same time) throughout connection would be just as good wouldn't it? The reason I am doing it this way at the moment is to supply the line voltage as I have yet to make a simulator or get and external modem Sad annoyingly this does still obviously tie up the phone line, but a least im not being charged for it Smile

UPDATE:

actually...lol...just thinking about it, what I have said there is pretty stupid...lol...I can't try it this way at present as I have no way of supplying the line voltage without the phone line....duh...lol...ok that will have to wait then I guess Sad

Posted Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:16 pm:

UPDATE:

OK, here is the latest in my PC-DC server and Quake 3 arena server epic Smile

Quake 3 server:

Now working behind both routers Smile yipee, took me ages but at last it works (Not totally sure why but it does)...not sure how regularly it will be online in the future but would like to have it running to some kind of set opening/closing times...ideally I would like to be 24/7 but can't see that happening Sad so yeah anyway...it's currently called "SegadreamcasterUK" and will most likely be popping on and offlie for the next few days as I fiddle...lol

In realtion to the quake 3 server, I need some advice, tips and help..lol...I have no idea on console commands and posspible mods so feel free to help, I don't even know how to send a message from the server command prompt at this stage Sad

I would like to add some information for when people logon, short welcome and request for PC users to leave and possibly list opening times if I can ever get anything solid...think I heard there was a mod for this!?!?!?!

PC-DC Server:

This is also now working from behind both routers, but only for Maximum pool and 4x4 Evolution, Quake simply freezes and Starlancer tells me it cannot connect to gamespy, although it does connect to the PC/internet ok. have not tested PSO.

I am however unconcerned about both Quake and PSO as I have the BBA, but I really do need to get starlancer working, I have tried forwarding all ports in winroute to the DC as DreamcastTM suggested, but this had no effect. I have not yet been able to try swapping the phone line as Lordnikon suggested as I currently have no other way of supplying the phone line voltage, but I find it difficult to believe that this could be the problem anyway as I currently leave the phone line connected throughout any connection as it is supplying the line voltage. Surely using this method is as good or even better than line swapping?

Any more advice or ideas are very much appreciated, I feel I am starting to get somewhere with all this now and would really like to get this all finished and get my room back in order...lol

Cheers guys Smile

PS: Thanks to everyone who has helped so far, very much appreciated Very Happy

Please Note: When I say that this is all working from behind both routers I am not using the second as a router at present, I am simply using the LAN ports so that the router basically becomes a HUB, I have switch of port forwarding and disabled DHCP

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:35 am
quote : #13
Could you split the line in two, one carrying the voltage ? Then again, you say you want to get your house sorted and I'm not sure of the intricasies involved, so maybe not.

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:51 pm
quote : #14
well I would if I could, but I don't think its possible as the two main lines that are required carry the voltage so I would still be tyoping up and using the phone line etc...nice idea though

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer