Topic: comparing tactical shooters

Page 1 of 1
SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:25 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Rogue Spear is far better than the original Rainbow 6 on DC with improved graphics and includes the Urban Missions pack . I think you might like it. Another similar game is Omega Squad which is a good in principle but it's a very shoddy port so I'm loathe to recommend it.

Chicken Run is a good stealth game Smile Seriously ! Metal Gear with fowls.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:00 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Rogue Spear is definatly awesome, and even has mouse and keyboard support! Dare I say the greatest Dreamcast tactical shooter available.

Spec Ops 2: Omega Squad - I recently got this game. Its major flaw is that you can't invert the Y axis for aiming. There are no control configuration options that I can find at all. Does this game support any mouse / kb controls?
Posted:
Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:42 am
quote : #3
No, Spec Ops2 hasn't any control configs or Kb/mouse support. At least the yabc work as per usual. Still it would have been nice for those options to be included. The shortcomings of the control system are offset by having 5 different camera settings-very useful. Both Rogue Spear and Spec. Ops2 are VGA compatible btw.

Special Ops2 is a decent game, it's just that technically and aesthetically it doesn't really come up to Dreamcast standards. Launched at the end of the DC's original lifetime, it smacks of a rush job. The huge enviroments and decent gameplay overcome this. Just about Smile

Toy Commanders is a fantastic strategic shooter. A magical and timeless experience, it belies it's cutesy looks(some of the best graphics on DC), by delivering one of the trickiest games on DC.

Posted Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:49 am:

It may be worth trying a keyboard/mouse on Spec Ops2. It doesn't say anywhere that the game supports it though.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:29 am
quote : #4
Toy Commander isn't really a tactical shooter. The category for a tactical shooter, is usually a military-esque shooter played in first or third person perspective, involving stealth, and making precious shots.

There arn't that many on the DC. I think the total comes out to:

Spec Ops 2: Omega Squad
Rainbow Six
Rogue Spear
Hidden and Dangerous

...and I can't remember any more. I think this might be it.
Posted:
Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:37 am
quote : #5
Type: PAL
lordnikon wrote:
Toy Commander isn't really a tactical shooter. The category for a tactical shooter, is usually a military-esque shooter played in first or third person perspective, involving stealth, and making precious shots.

There arn't that many on the DC. I think the total comes out to:

Spec Ops 2: Omega Squad
Rainbow Six
Rogue Spear
Hidden and Dangerous

...and I can't remember any more. I think this might be it.

Don't have and never played any tactical shooter (at least the ones mentioned) for Dreamcast Embarassed . So which one of those are the best bet? Maybe Rogue Spear?
unknown
Posted:
Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:00 pm
quote : #6
Well I agree with nikon about Rogue Spear being the premiere Tactical shooter, with Omega Squad being the easiest to play. Hidden and Dangerous is very atmospheric, amost filmlike. Think of the great WW2 movies. The great characters, stirring music and suspense culminating in Victory ! Or defeat....! Like most of these games, a Keyboard/mouse setup helps though all are playable with a pad. Get used to the controls and they are very enjoyable.

The only other game I can think of is Army Men: Sarge's Heroes. Similar to Toy Commander in that they are strictly Toy Soldiers, it's gameplay is more in line with the above.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:23 pm
quote : #7
i think rainbow 6 falls into this and maybe solder of fortune but thats a maybe . if you wish to streach it a bit you could include games like alone in the dark 2 and resident evil code v how ever you wont find all the same elements in these as the other games how ever i wouldnt place rainbow 6 in any other place. im a moron sorry didnt see R6 in the list but these others are shooters with more strategy than army men and toy comander
Posted:
Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:55 pm
quote : #8
Resident Evil is considered an action series. And Soldier of Fortune falls into the First Person Shooter category as far as gameplay is concerned. It is a fast paced FPS, rather than a slow methodical tactical shooter.
Posted:
Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:22 am
quote : #9
lordnikon wrote:
Resident Evil is considered an action series. And Soldier of Fortune falls into the First Person Shooter category as far as gameplay is concerned. It is a fast paced FPS, rather than a slow methodical tactical shooter.
and i agree to all of that. i only intended to say if you remotely consider army men or toy comander to fall under tac shooter. then other games would beter fit. such as the few i named SOF is a fps and it is fast paced. but its not like others such as Q3 and UT but still that dosnt make it fall into any thing new. the only thing that sets it apart is the story to it and the long load times lol. res evil isnt like tac shooter much other than the fact that you do shoot things but i never had a one shot one kill in it like in rainbow6 and other fps. toy comanders and amry men fit into actoin to if you ask me. i do see that i called the games i siad shooters i should have said that their games you shoot in and not shooters as for res evil and alone in the dark any way

Posted Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:33 pm:

if you want you can posibly count MGS for bleem its realy a psx game but it can be played on DC
Posted:
Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:19 pm
quote : #10
Based on my own category system for games, MGS doesn't fall into the tactical shooter genre. MGS is an action-adventure title. The games cinematic cut-scenes, item collecting, humor, and gameplay directly conflict with your average tactical shooter. While stealth and slow plotting movement can be used in MGS, they are optional. Players are free to push the boundries of MGS, and move at a much faster pace making it almost like an arcade game when you start engaging in open combat with multiple enemies. It is possible to alert everyone in the entire game of your presence and still kill them all and make it out alive. This has always been the charm of the MGS franchise. The game also has Bosses and is non-linear. It is at this point that the game ceases to become tactical at all.

Tactical shooters are visually dry military-themed shooters, with no bosses, and a very linear mission path. Capture these enemies, save these terrorists, make your way to the supply depot, etc etc. If the action is slow and methodical, it is a tactical shooter. However if you are running around unloading clip after clip into people, like you do in Soldier of Fortune it falls into the FPS category if in the first person perspective, or the action-adventure category if in the third person perspective.
Posted:
Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:01 pm
quote : #11
i agrre with you on this as well .the army men and toy comander games are both 3rd person i think you can change the views in them both army men you can bring up cross hairs at a first person view. in toy you can out right change the view so i say thay are action. and i want to point out Q3 can be made to have a 3rd person view but that dont make it a non fsp shooter the game was intended to be 1st person. all in all it can be and should be said that there is not many tac shooters for DC. wich is why i started to reply to this to say the army men and toy comanders are not a tac shooter but it was never out right claimed that they are so take it as you may.

while im here i will talk some on the games that are tac shooters. the games for DC are good ones but they all need a key bored and mouse to be played with ease. im pretty sure one or 2 dont suport key bored. even if they did i do not own a DC key bored and mouse so the games are less fun to me. learning all the joy pad comands is a head ache. i got H&D cuz i do like war games and i like real life style of play. but after having to go back and read the book just to see how to do some thing a few times that should have ben easy to pull off i got frustrated and gave up. omega was not so hard to learn to play i found it easy to pick up and have at it .rainbow6 was much like H&D for me and i didnt play long before puting in back on my desk. to each his own, if you like the learning of what seems to be endless comands then hey go for H&D and R6. i do not own rogue spear and have not played it but i wouldnt mind checking it out is this a NTSC-U game?