Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2, 3  Next
Nightmare a la DC
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:41 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I haven't played very many of them, but the DC has one of the best libraries of 2D fighters made. Are there any big players out there, and which titles did you enjoy most? I need to pick up a few more myself before I can decide on a favorite (currently I just have Capcom vs. SNK).
rank 21
Posted:
Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:31 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
Marlvel vs Capcom 2, definately. I love to play this game with my friends Cool

Raz1r
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:14 pm
quote : #3
How is Capcom vs. SNK?

The only 2D fighter I really got to play was the first Marvel vs. Capcom at my friend's house. So I guess that one is my favorite (even though I would get pwned. For some reason, I'm always getting pwned at his house).
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:38 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
My favorite would have to be King of Fighters 2001. This is my favorite King of Fighters game. The Dreamcast version is a perfect port of the arcade original.

While all of the KOF games are worth picking up on the Dreamcast, here is a side note: KOF2000, 2001, and 2002 are all arcade perfect; but fhe dreamcast releases of KOF98 (Dreammatch 99) and KOF99 (King of Fighters 99 Evolution) feature 3D backgrounds. While they arn't sprite based backgrounds, they are still very good. They match the games much better than the backgrounds in the capcom developed CVS2 for instance.
Posted:
Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:48 pm
quote : #5
ive only played marvel vs. capcom 2, and i dont really like it.
mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:39 am
quote : #6
Type: PAL
You can't go wrong with Street Fighter alpha 3 or Garou: Mark of the Wolves Smile

(all though you need a decent arcade stick to get the most out o' em)
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:55 pm
quote : #7
CvS1 is good, again, you need something other than a DC controller to get the best feel for the game. I'm probably going to look for a few controller converters and just use my Saturn controllers for it and other games.
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:00 pm
quote : #8
Playing Capcom fighters with a Dreamcast controller is a real problem because using the triggers on the DC controller for a fighting game is HORRIBLE.

If all you own is a Dreamcast controller, and you do not own a DC Arcade stick / PS2 to DC Convtertor + PS2 Arcade Stick, then I would recommend sticking to the SNK games on the DC such as:

Garou Mark of the Wolves
Last Blade 2
King of Fighters (any)

They use a 4 button control scheme. Smile
Posted:
Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:51 pm
quote : #9
Well, the CvS games also have a 4-button control scheme, the triggers are just used for button combinations; usually one is the combo for rolling, and the other is for charging with the SNK groove.
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:25 pm
quote : #10
Nightmare a la DC wrote:
Well, the CvS games also have a 4-button control scheme, the triggers are just used for button combinations; usually one is the combo for rolling, and the other is for charging with the SNK groove.

No, actually the CVS games have a 6 button control scheme, with LP, MP, HP and LK, MK, HK. To innitiate grooves you use a combination of buttons.

You seem to be using the default control scheme setup for using a Dreamcast controller. The real way to play it is with a 6 button control scheme, preferably with an arcade stick.
Posted:
Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:00 pm
quote : #11
They do have a 6-button control scheme? why didn't I notice that before?
rank 33
Posted:
Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:47 pm
quote : #12
Yep, pretty much all of the Capcom 2D fighters use the 6 button control scheme.

Nikon's approach to controllers was dead on though - using a PS2 arcade stick with controller adapter is the best way to go. It's a more cost effective solution than seeking out an official Dreamcast arcade stick, and I think there's better sticks available for cheaper for PS2.

Also, another alternative is to get an ASCII style 6 button gamepad, which has the proper button configuration along with a D pad. Actual ASCII Dreamcast pads are expensive, but again, there are cheaper ASCII style pads available for PS2. A couple of years ago Capcom released some Street Fighter 15th Anniversary fighter pads for PS2, and you can sometimes find them hanging around Gamestops for $9.99. I picked up a pair, one Chun Li and one Akuma, and they're great. A final cheapie solution is to pick up a Mad Catz Dreamcast controller. They're easy to find for around $5, and they have the 6 button fighter scheme as well.

Anyway, back to topic. I have pretty much all of the Dreamcast 2D fighters, and my favorites include Capcom Vs SNK 2, Street Fighter III: Third Strike, and King of Fighters 2001.

There's a huge selection of 2D fighters to choose from on Dreamcast, and you pretty much can't go wrong with any of them. At this stage of the game, if you find a good copy of one, you might consider picking it up.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Nightmare a la DC
rank 7
Posted:
Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:09 pm
quote : #13
That seems to be the attitude about the library, there doesn't seem to be much in terms of bad 2D fighters on the platform; just varies on the player's tastes. Well, I'm going to pick up a pair of converters and just use my Saturn pads for the games, and I'm thinking MvC2, SFA3, and one of the later KoF games will be my top priorities right now.
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:49 pm
quote : #14
Personally I can't understand how anyone would want to play these games with a standard controller. Fighting games are impossible to play with anything else than a good arcade stick.

Other than those which have been mentioned, I recommend Street Fighter III: Third Strike, Super Street Fighter II X and Vampire Chronicle. Garou: Mark of the Wolves has to be the overall best one though, while Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Guilty Gear X are great but seem to be overrated - then again I probably haven't played them enough yet to really judge them.
Posted:
Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:39 pm
quote : #15
well, i never have a problem playing fighting games with the pad, arcade stick are the ones that give me trouble.
and my favorite 2d fighters is..... wel just read my signature!.