Topic: TRI IRC Server Source

Page 1 of 2
REALfreaky
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:39 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Well, I'm not sure if this is legal, but I'll remove it if it isn't.

Here is the TRI IRC Server source code: http://freakonaleash300.googlepages.com/4x4_Evolution_Server_Source.zip
If that doesn't work, try: http://tinyload.com/gMN3T
The server can be configured for either Evo1 or Evo2.

The UDP Ping Perl scripts will be coming soon...

Anyways, the IRC Server is obviously made by TRI.
The UDP scripts are made by Chewy, also known as Jigga and TKVortex.

Also, if you need any help setting up everything, you can email Chewy at tkvortex [at] gmail.com or join the (non-Evo) IRC channel that he (and I) are usually on: irc.efnet.net #r00m (It may take awhile to find a good server on that network since some of them banned the channel name #r00m. Neutral)

Anyways, I hope that someone still has enough interest in this game to host this on a nice, reliable server. Smile

EDIT: Also, if anyone has any information on the trackQueryUrl:tracks.4x4evolution.com/cgi-bin/trackquery.cgi, it will be greatly appreciated. Even if all you can do is describe how the in-game track browser worked, we will be one step closer to figuring it out and, eventually, replicating it.

Last edited by REALfreaky on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:15 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ok fantastic. This has finally been released. I have been trying to get people to release this for the longest time. After all we Dreamcast Online users have been through with many of our favorite games going offline, putting software in the hands of the people is very important.

Is this the complete chat server for 4x4 Evo? So now a completly independent 4x4 Evo chat server + lobbies can now be run with this correct?

Who uploaded it to wikiupload? Was it publically available at another location prior to this? (I need information on this to accuratly record it for historical purposes)
Posted:
Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:22 pm
quote : #3
Yes, this is the complete server. With a few modifications, you can make it run for either Evo1 or Evo2.

I uploaded it to WikiUpload, but Chewy originally got it from someone (I'm not really sure who he got it from...) and he sent it to me.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:34 pm
quote : #4
Do you have a real name you want associated with this release from a historical standpoint? You can remain anonymous and have just your nick associated with it, or your real name. So far this is the only known public location to acquire it that I know of. Vortex was here before, and I desperatly tried to convince him to release it but he refused. He didn't understand where we Dreamcast players were coming from.

Sure, 4x4 Evo is already online forever because of its direct-ip capabilities, but the addition of the full blown chat server is a huge bonus. Plus it will enable us to setup an alternative playing environment that is more catored to the Dreamcast player since the PC community is so centered around mods and game tweaks. However the real reason would be to set up a chat area that wasn't so restrictive on language rules. The current 4x4evolution.com chat server is so strict on anything remotly close to a curse word that people get K+B'd from it left and right. It is such a haphazard playing environment.
Posted:
Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:39 pm
quote : #5
Well, my first name is Shane, but the only name I go by on the internet is REALfreaky so I shouldn't be hard to find. Wink

Also, you can give pretty much all the credit to TKVortex. He's the one who secured it in the first place, and who sent it to me. I told him to post it here, but he had to go so he told me to do it.

EDIT: And yeah, the rules of the "family friendly" environment suck. Confused

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:45 pm
quote : #6
REALfreaky wrote:
Well, my first name is Shane, but the only name I go by on the internet is REALfreaky so I shouldn't be hard to find. Wink

Also, you can give pretty much all the credit to TKVortex. He's the one who secured it in the first place, and who sent it to me. I told him to post it here, but he had to go so he told me to do it.

Before you said Chewy got it from someone. Who acquired it first? Vortex or Chewy?

You say "he had to go" as in Vortex had to go. Is he no longer involved with online gaming? or he had to go do something else in life? (ie military, new job, etc)

REALfreaky wrote:
EDIT: And yeah, the rules of the "family friendly" environment suck. Confused

Yea I respect how other admins want to run their communities, however the 4x4 Evo online environment is so rediculious, because you have NO idea what is banned or not. So you will be having a conversation in a room, and then all of a sudden are dropped and have no idea what curse word you used caused you to be banned. We don't even bother user rooms anymore and always end up creating a game instead because having a conversation in a main room will result in people getting kicked / banned.

So frustrating.
Posted:
Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:55 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
Before you said Chewy got it from someone. Who acquired it first? Vortex or Chewy?

Chewy is Vortex, lol. He goes by Chewy now, but I thought you would recognize him better as TKVortex (since that's what he is registered under). Sorry for the confusion. Confused

lordnikon wrote:
You say "he had to go" as in Vortex had to go. Is he no longer involved with online gaming? or he had to go do something else in life? (ie military, new job, etc)

No, I was just talking to him in IRC today when I came across this site, and I noticed that he posted here once. He had to go help a friend move a stove or something, lol. He'll be back tonight I'm sure.

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Tue May 01, 2007 11:40 am
quote : #8
Always nice to come on and see some good news like this...thanks a lot Smile

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Tue May 01, 2007 3:10 pm
quote : #9
Excellent, thanks for informing us about this REALfreaky Smile

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Wed May 02, 2007 6:25 am
quote : #10
Type: PAL
thanks for the news! it's awesome Surprised

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Thu May 03, 2007 12:57 am
quote : #11
Type: Pal
How would this server be linked to a game that you have created? Good news I just dont understand how it works Embarassed

Laters
Posted:
Thu May 03, 2007 5:44 am
quote : #12
You now how you see the "Lewisville, Texas" server when you first enter the multiplayer screen? It's one of those servers.

TkVortex
rank 1
Posted:
Thu May 03, 2007 6:30 am
quote : #13
Hi, That is the 4x4 Evolution 1 and 2 ircd, have fun compiling it, And getting the UDP service for the in game ping to the "server" coded. Just for the "record" This is just a plain hybrid-ircd that is open source code, The person that edited it works or worked for TRI, doing programming, Fletcher Dunn is his name. He has some programming books actually online, not hard to google for him. Anyways, if you grep through the source code you'll notice his comments on his code, he comments on pretty much all of it. cat * | grep @FD inside of the src/ directory will show you his comments. I obtained this source code from KC Vales vales.com. I pretty much asked him if I could have it, and he promised me not to give it out, I did. But when I got the source, it was all mangled from being on a DOS disk with ^M carages in every file, so of course I took the time to clean it up and fix it. Then I noticed, that the UDP service did not come with it. No answer from KC about it, so I decided to make my own.

I thought that one file in there did not belong there, and I'll let you figure that out for yourselfs. Find a UDP service in that package, let me know. This service actually plays a VERY important part in the entire game. So, my work was very important to me when I had to learn how to program something from scratch.

Let me knows if you guys get a server up and running. And how you'll be redirecting the "master server list" that contacts the backend text file. I'll come and join if I can get the lame game to run in wine.

-chewy AKA TKVortex

bomb78
rank 8
Posted:
Sat May 05, 2007 2:25 pm
quote : #14
I've never been able to race against someone with this game, either race is full, or modded tracks i don't have, are there many dc players from here, i'm not sure to have understood everything in this topic i'll reread that several times (may be my english os just too poor Smile )

TkVortex
rank 1
Posted:
Sun May 06, 2007 2:02 pm
quote : #15
I'm willing to work with people in getting there ircd's (server) running on there unix computer. Right now I've had my own running on a FreeBSD 5.4 box for over a year now. I also have compiled it on a FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE Operating system. I haven't had luck compiling it under Linux, and haven't tried Mac OSX due to the fact I don't have xcode that comes with the compilers gcc, etc.. Which you have to install in order to compiled it on the Mac OSX, But I know it will compile if someone takes the time to do the steps. OS X is based off a BSD kernel.

So if any body is interested in getting a 4x4 Evo1 or 2 server running, Just contact me, my e-mail is tkvortex (at) gmail dot com. Or just have any questions about it, feel free. The Dreamcast players should be able to join any server that is hosted, as long as you have some way of pointing the hostname of the master server list url (the hostname that is contacted for the server text file lists) to another hostname that can contact a different list. There might be some other methods of doing this, instead of "hacking" the game it's self, which probably isn't legal anyways. You can force domain names to resolv different IP addresss. In short you basically need 3 things in order to get your console game onto the multi-player server. 1) Web server running the backend text file for server names 2) The UDP services that plays a major roll in your NICK name resolving to your IP and port the game hosts on. And contacts the server for player count, ping reply, etc.. It's the part of the screen you're at when you haven't joined the server yet. 3) You need a server to join!.

Basically that's it.

-TkVortex