Page Location: Home > Support > PC-DC Server > Topic
RadioSpade
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:05 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well, I've been trying to set up my DC-PC connection for some time now (unsuccessfully!). So yeah, it's not working.
A couple questions:

1. Will it work via a wireless network?

2. Is there a way to test if my self-built 'line voltage inducer' is working? (I bought brand new phone cables to build it with)

Here's the setup:
.....Dell Latitude c400 running windows 98SE
.....PCTEL 2304WT V.92 MDC modem (the original internal one that came with it)
.....linksys PCI wireless card (WPC11 ver.4)

The problem:
Windows can't hear the dreamcast calling (dial-up server stays in "monitoring" status, dreamcast times out)

Note that my laptop does connect to the net. I've tried both guides (this site's and mterlow's). Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!!

-RadioSpade

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:34 pm
quote : #2
I think the PCTEL modem is the problem. I had a PCTEL in my Win98 SE rig and I experience the same issues you had. Make sure you can get a VOICE compatible modem or splurge for an external USB modem. While you could probably get an internal PCI modem able to connect with the voltage inducer, I would highly suggest you go for the external modem if you can, just for piece of mind. You can find them on eBay/Amazon for around $10-20.

RadioSpade
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:02 pm
quote : #3
hmmmm, alright, I'll look into getting an external 56k. Any specifications I should look for?

And also, does it work over WLAN or only on a LAN (wired vs. wireless)?

-RS

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:18 pm
quote : #4
RadioSpade wrote:
hmmmm, alright, I'll look into getting an external 56k. Any specifications I should look for?

And also, does it work over WLAN or only on a LAN (wired vs. wireless)?

-RS

The important thing is to make sure the modem is VOICE compatible..if it has that you should be ok. As for being on wireless...it's not advised, may not be as reliable but you will probably ok with it if you have no option, if you do have the option however, it's wired all the way.

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:19 pm
quote : #5
Running a PC-DC server over wireless NOT recommended. Your connection speed will be almost zero. There is packet loss with wireless, and since the max upload rate for a 56k modem is 33k, this is the max speed a Dreamcast can download at.

The only way I would run a PC-DC server is hardwired. Using wireless will result in tons of lag, and disconnects.
Posted:
Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:33 am
quote : #6
Thanks for the responses, guys!

I found a cheap Zoltrix external on ebay, should be here by next week. I'll let you know how it works out.

-RS

EDIT (04/17/07): working out the details with the seller, will keep you updated

Last edited by RadioSpade on Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:18 pm
quote : #7
RadioSpade: Did that Zoltrix arrive yet? I'm currently looking at a Dynex external modem myself. Let us know if you have any luck with your modem! Smile

EDIT: I have just won a Dynex external modem through eBay. Will update my topic at a later date as soon as the product arrives.

RadioSpade
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:33 pm
quote : #8
well, the first seller I tried is falling through, so now I just bid on a Robotics. Hopefully this one will arrive within the week.

Mytho, did you ever get your modem? If so, got it working ok?

-RS

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:35 pm
quote : #9
RadioSpade wrote:
well, the first seller I tried is falling through, so now I just bid on a Robotics. Hopefully this one will arrive within the week.

Mytho, did you ever get your modem? If so, got it working ok?

-RS

Ah, that sucks when you get a difficult seller. I had one with my first eBay experience. Confused Hopefully you'll get a refund.

My Dynex came in about a week ago. I was able to connect to PlanetWeb and every online game I own (Q3, 4x4, and StarLancer). For the games, I had to use the swap trick in order to connect. I would suggest you look into a Dynex modem if the Robotics deal falls through.

RadioSpade
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:25 pm
quote : #10
Surprise! the first modem I ordered arrived today (sans serial cable, but thats ok I got one for $10). Soo, now I got 2 modems. o well (anyone, let me know if you wanna buy an external 56k off of me).

My Zoltrix is hooked up and ready to go! Great News! bad news: Planetweb cannot find local host. I'm not exactly sure what that means, maybe planetweb's website is down?

So I wanna try to enter a URL, but can't figure out how to do that. Anyone know?

-RadioSpade

Edit: let me show you the real error message:

"Unable to contact host. Could not look up its name."

Any idears?
Thanks!

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Wed May 02, 2007 6:27 pm
quote : #11
RadioSpade wrote:
"Unable to contact host. Could not look up its name."

Any idears?
Thanks!

Make sure you have WinRoute properly configured and running. The computer you have WinRoute installed on should not be able to access the internet if you have WinRoute running correctly.

If all else fails, go through the guide again and eliminate as many variables as possible. Start off with the Dreamcast's settings, then check your PC, beginning with the configuration of the dial-up server, and work your way towards WinRoute.

RadioSpade
rank 8
Posted:
Fri May 04, 2007 12:05 pm
quote : #12
Indeed, it was the WinRoute Problem. (I needed to find a serial online). But now, it works!!!!
I have web browsing, and PSOv2. I still hafta try starlancer, quake, and 4x4.

Thanks for all the help!

ps. one thing i don't understand, why can't you use the computer's internet while winroute engine is running?

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Fri May 04, 2007 12:18 pm
quote : #13
RadioSpade wrote:
Indeed, it was the WinRoute Problem. (I needed to find a serial online). But now, it works!!!!
I have web browsing, and PSOv2. I still hafta try starlancer, quake, and 4x4.

Thanks for all the help!

ps. one thing i don't understand, why can't you use the computer's internet while winroute engine is running?

It's all about the ports, forwarding all the ports to the DC ensures its getting everything, it is possible however to simply forward thw required ports...this is what I have done....which means it can run server at the same time...works like a charm.... Smile

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com