Topic: PSO Cold Turkey Remedy

Page 1 of 1
SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:01 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
So what to play now PSO is off the menu for the time being. I'm talking 'realtime' Hack'n'Slash Rpg's here. What are the alternatives whilst Ragol is temporarily off limits ?

I'd suggest Dragon's Blood and Record Of Lodoss War for starters.

Raz1r
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:08 pm
quote : #2
I've never tried those, but one of the reasons I am looking for 3 more controllers is Gauntlet Legends. I remember having lots of fun with friends on that. It's pretty cheap nowadays too.
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:33 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
I own Record of Lodoss war, and have been waiting to sink my teeth into that game ( not literally since I don't want to scratch the precious GD-ROM). I don't think this game has multiple from what I recall. It is supposed to be an awesome game though with almost no end just like PSO.

Dragon's Blood / Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm isn't really a hack and slash rpg. It is an action-adventure game.

Record of Lodoss War and Gauntlet Legends both definatly qualify as Hack 'n Slash RPG's though.

I still need to get Gauntlet myself.
Posted:
Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:28 pm
quote : #4
Type: PAL
I know that this game Isn't a hack n' slash.... but, Daytona USA 2001 has really taken my mind off the whole PSO thing Smile

just trying to get a nice precision drift is all the buzz I need Laughing

As for hack and slash.... E.G.G ? I know its not one strictly speaking, but it certainly has that feel to it.
unknown
Posted:
Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:43 pm
quote : #5
I totally agree regarding Daytona's therapeutic qualities.

You can play Draconus/Dragon's Blood as either a male or female character, you level up, collect, hack'n'slash, cast spells and fight the biggest Dragon this side of Ragol at the end. It may not strictly adhere to the Guild's description of an Rpg, but it has a lot of the elements of that genre within the game.

Record of Lodoss War is PSO meets Diablo. Maybe.

I think Silver qualifies ?

I should play E.G.G. sometime. So far I've just sat open mouthed, gawping at the lush graphics. And then I get lost.

Posted Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:47 pm:

Gauntlet is cheap nowadays ? I must try and pick that up. I thought it was rare/expensive.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:10 am
quote : #6
grandia2 for sure. yeah maybe its not much of a hack n slash. but its great fun and a good story

i have silver, E.G.G, lodoss war and gauntlet legands. if i must recommend only one im going with lodoss war. its a pretty damn good game "thats a mighty spell" if you havnt played it you will get the quote after you do. that damn lil guy says that way to much

how about evolution 2?

sword of berserk, guts rage. thats about as hack and slash as it gets but not much on the rpg end
Posted:
Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:29 am
quote : #7
Type: PAL
Record of lodoss war is an awesome hack and slash/RPG.
Its your classic RPG really, goblins,trolls and all that.

I don't reccommend swords of the beserk though.
Personally I think its terrible.

Last edited by lozz on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:47 am
quote : #8
It just came to my attention that there is one game that i couldnt stop playing and thats soul reaver. i dont know if you would call it a rpg but its got some of the same elements to it. you dont level up like in RPGs or buy any new wepons. but you do get to use magic and you do get to gain abilities and ther is lots of hack and slash

i played soul reaver for hours at a time. some nights untill dawn
Posted:
Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:33 am
quote : #9
Soul Reaver is also not considered a hack n' slash rpg. There are 3 different game genres which must be distinguished from one another:

Action-Adventure
Hack n' Slash
Hack n' Slash RPG

Draconus and Soul Reaver are action-adventure games. These games have "exploration" elements, and frequently involve finding "keys" to unlock doors, and other mundane tasks.

Pure Hack n' Slash games are like beatemups, but with blades. Sword of Bezerk qualifies as a pure Hack n Slash game.

A Hack n' Slash RPG is like a Hack n' Slash game, but with RPG elements. It has the same procedural level progression and waves of enemies, but with weapon upgrades and character levels. Phantasy Star Online and Record of Lodoss War are some of the best examples of this on the Dreamcast.
Posted:
Sat May 12, 2007 4:47 pm
quote : #10
gary_b wrote:
grandia2 for sure. yeah maybe its not much of a hack n slash. but its great fun and a good story

i have silver, E.G.G, lodoss war and gauntlet legands. if i must recommend only one im going with lodoss war. its a pretty damn good game "thats a mighty spell" if you havnt played it you will get the quote after you do. that damn lil guy says that way to much

how about evolution 2?

sword of berserk, guts rage. thats about as hack and slash as it gets but not much on the rpg end

Grandia 2 thumbs up here aswell AND skies of arcadia, god i was sooooooooo happy to get those games on my DC! Evolution 2 was nice aswell but twas not as good.

Grandia 2 has possibly the best spell animations, usually for big ones you get a nice anime-cut scene!