Page Location: Home > Archive - PAL PSO > Topic
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
MysteryMan
unknown
Posted:
Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:52 am
quote : #76
profile : pm
"well, another factor could be the fact that no one can conveniently get online with 4x4 or starlancer anymore leaving max pool as the only game left basically and there has been little discussion about that for a long time. "

you raise a very good point, with the closing of the official sega servers and this temporary, or permanent problem with conecting to gamespy on 4x4 and starlancer there really isn't much life left for the dreamcast online. Another thing I don't understand is how exactly do you plan to host a "legit only" pso server? Wouldn't this raise a problem when the only real way to get on an altenative/homebrew server is to modify the game ie a "cheat device" Don't get me wrong I think it's very nobile of you to take this on, but I mean the only real way for legit players to get on a homebrew server would be to buy a broadband adapter which is very rare and expensive.

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:53 am
quote : #77
Type: PAL
MysteryMan wrote:
the only real way for legit players to get on a homebrew server would be to buy a broadband adapter which is very rare and expensive.

Why? you can still use a dialup modem or a PC-DC connection

mrandyk
rank 19
Posted:
Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 am
quote : #78
a pc-dc connection is such a hassle and a lot of us dont have one set up or dont know how to set one up.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:07 am
quote : #79
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ok this thread is starting to spin off into too many tangents. I will look into Starlancer and 4x4 Evo when I have time.

I am going to post a thread over in the 4x4 Evo forum right now about what to do when the main chatserver isn't responding.

As for this PSO thread, I feel it as run its course, and the only thing left to be posted would be some news from segadreamcaster if and when that ever happens.

I am going to lock this thread off. Segadreamcaster can contact me if he hears back from sega, and then I will re-open the thread.
Posted:
Tue May 08, 2007 7:56 am
quote : #80
Hi everyone,

I sadly have bad news, the campaign has failed and SEGA have decided not to help us. Although I have fallen fairly silent over the last three weeks, I have been contacting SEGA and NTT Europe on a regular basis to try to get things in motion, sadly all was in vain, as I picked up the official response from my door mat this morning and this is how it reads:

Quote:
"Dear Craig,

Thank you for your letter and your campaign pack which have been passed to me by Mike Hayes.

SEGA are proud to have such devoted customers and we are extremely grateful for your commitment to Phantasy Star Online. Unfortunately PSO has reached the point where the number of active players no longer justifies the manpower and resources required to operate and maintain the game servers. This situation is unlikely to change in future and regrettably we cannot re-open the servers, even in a limited capacity.

With regards to your second and third proposals: both of these would involve releasing our server-side code. This software remains the intellectual property of SEGA and it cannot be distributed to a third-party or released into the public domain for various reasons, including copyright and confidentiality. The game bears the SEGA brand and the Terms and Conditions make reference to SEGA. These would both need to be changed. Additionally, the authentication software and database would still need to be stored and maintained by SEGA because we cannot release these to a third-party.

We would encourage all fans of PSO to try Phantasy Star Universe and its forthcoming expansion, Ambition of the Illuminus. If you prefer something closer to the original, PSO Blue Burst for PC has an active and strong community.

Thank you once again for your loyalty to Phantasy Star Online.

Yours sincerely

Ryusuke Ito
IT & Network Director"

So, that is pretty much the end of the road folks...we tried our best but we all knew this was the likely outcome, feel free to send any messages or letters into Sega-Europe if you wish, I suggest you address or ask them to be sent on to "Ryusuke Ito" as this is obviously the person we would need to contact.

Thank you once again to everyone who supported this effort and I hope to see you all again sometime on a private server somewhere...at least we have that to be grateful for Smile

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
Segata Sanshiro
rank 9
Posted:
Tue May 08, 2007 8:26 am
quote : #81
Well, they finally bothered replying Laughing They did take their time, but it looks like it isn't just a random secretary replying, which is appreciated.

And thanks to you for starting the campaign and spending time and money in getting the letters sent.

I hope we can meet again in our usual Phantasy Star Online, and not in some... Blue Burst or anything else. Heh.

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Tue May 08, 2007 9:13 am
quote : #82
PSOBB has an active community? LOL LOL! I believe he tried the unofficial server, not the official one Laughing

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Tue May 08, 2007 9:14 am
quote : #83
Type: Pal
Yeh a nice reply at least the botherd to send one, maybe even someone put some time into looking into things Very Happy

Thanks Segadreamcaster for all the hard work you put in Mr. Green

Laters
Posted:
Tue May 08, 2007 10:50 am
quote : #84
great work ppl, altought we did not get what we wanted we sure tried and i am happy to see that ppl still care about pso.

about the leter....sega wants us to play psu.........as this is not the first time sega says ppl to ply psu at the end of a letter.
and pso bb, yes it has a growing comunity, but i prefer my char, my items and mostly pso on the dreamcast.
besides, on the official servers of pso bb and psu you pay tto play.......they want money end of story

Starwalker
rank 14
Posted:
Tue May 08, 2007 11:21 am
quote : #85
Blast wrote:
Yeh a nice reply at least the botherd to send one, maybe even someone put some time into looking into things Very Happy

Thanks Segadreamcaster for all the hard work you put in Mr. Green

Yes.

Well SEGA has done a good job keeping those servers available for 6 years, and this is not usual especially with a low number of players playing for a few years. All the enterprises needs money and SEGA lost many by trying innovating, while there are some other companies who recycle always the same formula. SEGA think it’s time to move on and we have to respect that. What would think the GC players and other games that close servers after 1 year or two?

It’s a shame we can’t play anymore on the officials but there’s an alternative, there’s so many online DC games that closed long time ago and we could never play anymore.

Thanks for all who participated and to Segadreamcaster for all the effort, money and time spent doing this campaign. Cool
rank 44
Posted:
Tue May 08, 2007 12:34 pm
quote : #86
Its nice to see a response, and one so high up looking as well.

At least all is not lost though eh? Wink
rank 37
Posted:
Tue May 08, 2007 2:46 pm
quote : #87
mcmonkey wrote:
Its nice to see a response, and one so high up looking as well.

At least all is not lost though eh? Wink

Yes indeed, can't get much higher than being passed onto him by Mike Hayes, who just happens to be the president of Sega-Europe Smile

Still a shame it didnt bring better news, but at least it's brought it to a close Smile kinda glad I don't have to chase them anymore Smile

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Mon May 14, 2007 3:29 pm
quote : #88
The next step is holding the SOE president hostage until they bring the servers back Mr. Green jk