Topic: Dreamcast on HDTV

Page 1 of 1
HUmar_Dean
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:49 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
i have looked through 13 pages and couldnt find aything on this specifically.I have a 32inch Matsui HDTV, of which doesnt have a VGA input.I really wanna play my DC on it with out the blur and i was wondering of a solution for this. I do already own a VGA box if this is of any use.

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:54 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
I think some sort of converter maybe all you need. Try this link, maybe this could be useful to you. Smile
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:12 pm
quote : #3
Hey that top one seems the one.Just realised it has no audio cables and its quite alot of cash.
in a shop they told me id need a big box or some rubbish,as its a different frequency.

phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:38 am
quote : #4
Those cables will not work.

Quote:
Connect TV's, Video Scalers, SAT and Cable Receivers and more. (Note: made to work for any application that uses RGB type connection, would not work with RGBHV, RGBS and RGsB. 3 x 24k Gold plated RCA female to BNC male adaptors included.)

The Dreamcast uses RGBHV. Although with those formats counted out, I don't know what's left!

The VGA and component signals uses two different color systems. VGA uses RGB, while component uses YPrPb (one luminance signal with two color difference signals, adding a color difference signal to the luminance signal gives red or blue, and substracting them gives you green). Sync also works differently between the two. VGA has two sync cables for H and V sync, while component has Sync on the green cable (the luminance signal). It's not possible to use a simple cable to convert between the two, you need some extra circuitry.

Also VGA is technically 640x480 at 60hz which is supported by component cables. However since the VGA connector is analog it can carry any resolution the monitor supports. A conversion from anything other than 640x480 at 60hz to component is much more complex. However, because the Dreamcast outputs 640x480 at 60hz you only needs a simpler conversion box.

I believe this one should do the trick: http://www.smarthome.com/777060.html

You don't need to convert the audio, just pass it on.
Posted:
Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:16 pm
quote : #5
jeezzzzz thats a fair bit of cash.Wouldve been cheaper to get a tv with a vga input.would i use a vgabox with that box,all thesethings confuse me im not too technical.

elph
rank 3
Posted:
Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:57 am
quote : #6
JROK makes converters from RGB to component. You could pick up one of those and use it with an RGB cable set, but after all is said and done, it might cost just as much as buying one of the other suggested solutions.

phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:19 am
quote : #7
But RGB is interlaced, VGA is progressive. (well, technically VGA is RGB, but in terms of the Dreamcast, RGB usually refers to RGB Scart, which is interlaced only...)