Page Location: Home > StarLancer > Topic
Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:04 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Has anyone ever gotten Star Lancer to connect through this type of configuration (having your Dreamcast dial into a PC to feed off of a broadband connection).

I connect, but as soon as the audible connection is made through the modem speaker, the Dreamcast without even seeming to even try to connect, drops the connection and says that it can't connect.

What's going on? Anyone else have this problem? I was thinking it may be a port problem, but I don't know. I'm going to give it a try, but I doubt it will help.

Dreamcast ™

Mr.INSANE
rank 5
Posted:
Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:42 pm
quote : #2
I really hope you found a fix for this dreamcast becuase i really wanted to play this with a pc dc connection

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:01 pm
quote : #3
Haha, I forgot about this thread.

Here you go. You registered 12 days after the fact. Very Happy

Basically, the short and sweet version of it is, go to the same area in the registry where you entered "ATA<cr>" in the monitor section. Well, in the same list that "Monitor" is located in, there should be one at the top called "Answer." Edit the command "ATA<cr>" in there to say "ATA."

That will take care of it.

- Dreamcast ™

Mr.INSANE
rank 5
Posted:
Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:36 pm
quote : #4
HAH!! i knew that it was wrong in the guide the pic showed the <c-r> but it didnt say anything about it so i figured to add it

has anyone emailed the guy to fix that yet?

and it would be nice to make a guide that dealed more with games and people with routers {like myself} on what ports to oepn and such

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:44 pm
quote : #5
No no no... This is under "Answer" You still have to add the "<cr>" to "ATA" in the monitor section.

So:

"Answer" = "ATA"
"Monitor" = "ATA<cr>"

Don't worry about the guide. Nikon and myself are working on it as you read this. Wink

Mr.INSANE
rank 5
Posted:
Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:02 am
quote : #6
same guide im thinking about right the one that is a sight made specfically for it and done all professional style :p

Also i want to compile a list of ports for certain games

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:19 am
quote : #7
You won't have to worry about that. We've compiled the list and will have a full outline on it all. We just have to do a bit more testing to ensure we don't leave anything to the imagination, and / or give incorrect information.

All in due time. Very Happy

ChadT
unknown
Posted:
Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:55 pm
quote : #8
I'm having the same issue described earlier in this post with Starlancer not connecting with a PC&lt;-&gt;DC server. I'm able to connect with the PlanetWeb Browser 2.1 but Starlancer never completes the modem handshake process. I've tried the AT commands listed, any other words of advice?

Posted Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:02 pm:

Nevermind, I had to disable V.90 with the following AT command and it finally connected at 33600.

-V90=0
Posted:
Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:34 am
quote : #9
so how many of you gotten it to work? that's pretty cool. Now just get it to work over wireless? That's what I've got.
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:11 am
quote : #10
There would be way too much latency running it over wireless. There is packet loss on a wireless connection. Which would further degrade the already low 33k transfer speed.
Posted:
Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:00 pm
quote : #11
lordnikon wrote:
There would be way too much latency running it over wireless. There is packet loss on a wireless connection. Which would further degrade the already low 33k transfer speed.

So you're saying it would be a fair fight Very Happy
j/k
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:17 am
quote : #12
Hi guys,

Still having trouble with this one, it connects to the PC ok but says that it can't connect to gamespy? Any clues?

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:05 pm:

Hi all,

Just an update on this for anyone who may be interested Smile

I managed to get this working, although I did not change any setting at all...I tried loads of different things (inlcuding various modems) but eventually gave up.

The the other day I was downloading a few torrents and decided to add Starlancer to the list as I tend to keep a backup of my online DC games, but hadn't gotten around to doing a Starlancer copy...anyway, I downloaded it and burned it and then thought to myself, "Hey, why not try the copy over PC-DC, it wont work but hey!" so I tried it and guess what? It worked..lol

The only thing I can conclude with this is that the copy I downloaded was a US NTSC version and that it is slightly different somehow to the PAL version (the original version I have)

It's almost as if the connection with a PC-DC server takes a few seconds to catch up after the initial connection, because whenever I connect with a game it takes a few seconds (about 10 seconds) to move forward, such as loading max pool servers..where as a real dial-up connection is instantly active. This is where the PAL and NTSC versions might vary, because my PAL version seems to request the gamespy server immediately upon connecting and gives up if it doesnt receive a response instantly...whilst the copied version (presumably a US NTSC version as most backups are) is slightly different and actually waits for the response from gamespy?

This is all just my theory and could well be wrong, but it could mean that PAL Starlancer is not compatible with a PC-DC server...can anybody confirm or debunk this?

Anyway, I though it was interesting and worth a mention Smile

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
Indiket
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:09 pm
quote : #13
Type: PAL
I'm going to debunk it with my theory ^^.

I had a lot of problems with max pool, because for a strange reason, the game connected once every 50 times...
And I could connect perfectly to Dreamkey (and PlanetWeb).

I'm using the PC-DC connection. That happened with Windows 98.
I have switched the PC server to Windows XP, and now all my problems have gone Very Happy

So, I agree with this part:
Quote:
It's almost as if the connection with a PC-DC server takes a few seconds to catch up after the initial connection, because whenever I connect with a game it takes a few seconds (about 10 seconds) to move forward, such as loading max pool servers..where as a real dial-up connection is instantly active.

But I disagree with the diference between PAL and NTSC.
Win98 and XP act different, and it seems that XP is more stable and manages better this connection than Win98!!!

Maybe, this was the reason that ChadT had this problem, and I had it too. With Win 98, games fail in the handshaking, and I suppose that it's a special case the use of web browsers.

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:51 pm
quote : #14
You may well be right, all I know is I have tried many many times to connect with my official PAL version of starlancer without success, but as soon as I used the backup (presumably NTSC version) it connects every single time without fail.

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:37 am
quote : #15
Type: Pal
I know nothing of what I am talking about here but could the same reason that say some ISP's wouldent connect to some DC online games be the same reason some cant connect over the PC-DC server. For example on the old Telewest ISP I could connect to Speed devils online hosted by Gameloft but not Monaco GP also hosted by gameloft. I could connect to WSB 2K2 but not NFL 2K2 also both hosted by Sega. I could not connect to Starlancer or Ooga booga either. All the games that didnt connect I could connect with another ISP. I was once told this was a timing out error, maybe its somehow related to what happens here.

Just a thought

Laters