Topic: Starlancer Tournament!

Page 1 of 3
U-235
rank 18
Posted:
Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:55 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Alright, folks! It's high time for a Starlancer tournament, so post your name here if you want to participate. Registration cutoff will be August 30th, with the first bracket being announced September 8th.

how it will work:

We will be organizing people completely at random into blocks of 4. You will battle for 30 minutes, and the person with the lowest combined score of kills less deaths will be eliminated. Due to time zone differences you will have to set your meeting time up yourselves. Once the current block of 4 is announced, you will have a 2 week grace period to organize and play your match, and then post the results. Tournament play will be in the Asteroid Arena mode only, with turrets turned off. All ships are welcome in the tournament. A neutral party will be assigned to host and ref each match for latency issues. Let's have fun with this!

and I will be participating myself.... so....

U-235

Mr. Green

Last edited by U-235 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:25 am; edited 3 times in total
Posted:
Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:58 am
quote : #2
Type: PAL
I will have lovely dial-up by then! or my PC-DC server set-up finished so count me in. I haven't played this game online since 2002, so time for some practice!

Dalore

NB-DanTE
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:38 am
quote : #3
Okey , I'l be there chose the time and the place 'my ship is PHOENIX

NB-DanTE
Posted:
Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:14 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
I'm in for shroud of course.

I hope that turrets will be OFF. Also, I'm curious, by "blocks of four" what do you mean? Will it be 1 vs 1 standard elimination or more than 2 people in a game? If possible, I'd not recommend 6 people in a game for a tournament, it gets a bit laggy for everyone. I guess we can figure that out when we know how many people are in.

Also, I don't think we need to ban the wolverine, even though it is a bit overpowered. But, maybe it will make for more interesting matches.

There's one more thing we might want to talk about. This is just an idea that would probably take more work than is worth doing, but I'm gonna throw it out there anyway. I'm not sure if everyone knows this, but the game acts slightly differently for the host than the rest of the players. If someone not involved in the match could host the game, and act as a mediator/referee. They could just hide inside a small asteroid (theres 2 or 3 of those that dont move) and stay out of the way. Like I said, its kind of silly, but I think experienced players will know what I'm talking about.
rank 18
Posted:
Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:49 pm
quote : #5
Mertens, I like you're ideas and I'm going to amend the above post. I'll try to host and ref the matches myself except of course for the ones I'm competing in. Would you like to take the position as the secondary moderator in my place? As for the blocks of four: We decided on that to keep things as latent as possible, with simply the lowest scoring competitor being eliminated. Of course it will eventually get down to a 3 person match and the final being a 1 on 1 match. For StarLancer, I think that would be the best bet.
Posted:
Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:01 pm
quote : #6
I shall try this, but will prolly get obliterated in the first round, ah well...

nintendo_ds... Neutral
...look around and ask yourself if there's anyone better qualified...at that point in time. If...'yes,' ask them to accept command, and do everything you can... If...'no,' ...then take your best shot. That's all any of us can do.
mrandyk
rank 19
Posted:
Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:11 pm
quote : #7
Id love to join in this, and if needed by an official guy keeping score and hiding in the corner. Hope I dont get into Mertens group *crosses fingers*, maybe then my Phoenix and I will make it to the second round

I think someone will need to be at every match to ensure everyone stops at the 30 minute mark and to get the scores down as well so someone doesnt frag right after the time limit and take the lead or something.
Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:06 am
quote : #8
Alright, yeah, I can definitely help host some matches. I'm glad you've decided to run this tourny. I think it's going to be great for the community. I'll help in any way possible.

And back to the style of the matches, I'm still a bit confused. I confuse easily (as my old sig suggested if anyone remembers). So for example, lets say there are 4 competitors in a match at the beginning (excluding the moderator of course):

Player 1
Player 2
Player 3
Player 4

After 30 minutes of battling, player 4 has the least kills and is eliminated. Then, the next 30 minutes looks like:

Player 1
Player 2
Player 3

Then the player with the lowest score is eliminated and the match continues...

If I'm understanding that correctly, just a couple more questions/suggestions. At the end of each 30 minutes, are we resetting the score to zeros for all players? I would suggest doing that and having the host start a new game. I have noticed that sometimes starlancer games start to malfunction after 45min to an hour.
rank 18
Posted:
Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:35 am
quote : #9
After the 30 minute round is over, the match is over. We then announce the next round of tournament play. The game malfunction was why I decided to limit each round to a 30 minute time period. If we played it like that Mertens, meaning they play until the "last man standing" that would make for a bit of a long round. An hour and a half to two hours of gameplay could be a bit much for some to commit to, but I think most people could dedicate a 30 minute session. It may drag the tournament out a bit longer this way, but it may stiffen up the competition a bit too. Mr. Green
Posted:
Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:17 am
quote : #10
yeah, i was thinking the same thing. I was under the impression the matches could go for a couple hours....nice to hear otherwise

I told you, i get very confuzzled. Just like to be clear Very Happy
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:01 pm
quote : #11
Alright, I'm in for this tournament :]

Expect to challenge KoNeko hehehe. And maybe if I'm lucky, I'll come in something higher than last place xP

AIM: Joshy Doodles
Yahoo!: KoNek01192@yahoo.com
MSN: KoNeko1192@hotmail.com
Jabber: KoNeko1192@jabber.org
mrandyk
rank 19
Posted:
Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:07 pm
quote : #12
KoNeko wrote:
And maybe if I'm lucky, I'll come in something higher than last place xP

That is my goal, I am not good at this game.
KoNeko
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:28 pm
quote : #13
I doubt I'm much better than you, lmao. I just started playing a couple days ago, hahaha.

AIM: Joshy Doodles
Yahoo!: KoNek01192@yahoo.com
MSN: KoNeko1192@hotmail.com
Jabber: KoNeko1192@jabber.org
NB-DanTE
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:23 am
quote : #14
I have no experience in the multiplayer ,i tried it one time and it was catastrophic [0 kill]
i'll try to do better in this tournament for not to be the first which leaves

sorry for my bad english ^^
Posted:
Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:08 pm
quote : #15
Just a reminder that you have one week left to register for the tournament! Mr. Green