Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Arubeto
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:53 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
As the subject says, I'm curious how many Dreamcast games were ever released. On the "videogamecritic" page I read there are about 250 games. But in the thread "How many Dreamcast games do you own?" lordnikon states he has 361 games for the Dreamcast. Is this just because you have so many games in different versions (JP/US/PAL) or because the actual number of released games is much higher than 250?

A little more detailed list excluding the different versions of one game, but including the numbers of homebrew, unreleased but finished like Propeller Arena and the one-region-only (mainly Japan?) games would be much appreciated. Very Happy

edit: Wikipedia says there are more than 730 official releases. Can anyone confirm or correct that number?

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:00 am
quote : #2
Type: PAL
Yes, there are more than 730 official Dreamcast games since the last time I updated the Wikipedia page (3 months ago)

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:27 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Do not trust Wikipedia. The information there is unsourced and usually incorrect.

My game collection is comprised of games from each region, which is why it is at 361+ games. Most of my collection is currently Japanese though.

I have 100% accurate lists of North American and Japanese Dreamcast games. For PAL I just have a rough list. In-fact the list I have for Japanese Dreamcast Games is probobly more accurate than any other list available. Last summer I worked non-stop for weeks on end transferring data from Sega.jp's online database into an excel file. This all had to be done manually! There are over 650 individual Japanese Dreamcast releases including all variants (LE, DreKore, etc).

The North American Dreamcast release list is a little over 250 games, not including variants (Midway HOT NEW covers, Sega Allstars, etc).

There are a bunch of discs released in each territory that are Dreamcast software but do not have standard catalog numbers such Web Browsers or the "What's Shenmue" promo disc.

Also, for a lot of Japanese "DreKore" releases they did not change the catalog number. The only distinction between these Drekore release and the original game, is a sticker on the outer plastic.

I think I am on track to identify the true accurate statistical number of Dreamcast releases including a grand total, unique individual releases, variants, demos, and prototypes. I still have a lot of work to do, and will not even consider releasing the data until I am certain the list is 100% finished.
Posted:
Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:37 am
quote : #4
Are you sure? There are less than 38 items on the Wikipedia page that are demos, browsers, games from different regions but with different posted two times (like Virtua Tennis-Power Smash: Sega Professional Tennis)

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:56 am
quote : #5
Once again, wikipedia is not a credible source for information.
Posted:
Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:13 am
quote : #6
lordnikon wrote:
Once again, wikipedia is not a credible source for information.

There are fake items posted? Because seeing the list, I know everyone

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:16 am
quote : #7
I think we need to clarrify some stuff here first. What part of my post were you asking "Are you sure?" and what are you saying is accurate at Wikipedia?
Posted:
Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:53 pm
quote : #8
Don't trust wikipedia, anyone with an accout can post false infomation and many do and alot of times theres no source to credit the infomation.

nick944
rank 13
Posted:
Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:45 pm
quote : #9
Wikipedia is usually right on most thing though. I haven't seen much information on there that isn't true.
Posted:
Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:55 pm
quote : #10
I will say no more than 400 games, as of 2007.

JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:21 pm
quote : #11
lordnikon wrote:
I think we need to clarrify some stuff here first. What part of my post were you asking "Are you sure?" and what are you saying is accurate at Wikipedia?

I asked if you are sure about the fake information on Wikipedia. Then tell me, what items from the Dreamcast games list are fake?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:26 pm
quote : #12
Since anyone can edit Wikipedia, the content found within it is open to vandalism, as well as people fighting over what they believe is correct info. I could go in and just make up games I "thought" were on the Dreamcast, but really were not. There is no central governing body for the information. It can be edited by anyone.

Now, just at a glance, what is this list supposed to cover? All unique releases? or all releases including variants and limited editions? This list is missing tons of limited edition japanese releases. So it either needs to add all of the Limited Editions and Variants, or remove titles like Sonic Adventure Limited Edition, and Sonic Adventure 2 Birthday Pack. Also, What's Shenmue is not an actual game release. It doesn't have a game catalog serial number. It has another type of catalog number that is comprised of single digits and no letters. What's Shenmue is actually considered a promo item; more along the lines of a Demo disc than an actual game release. It would go in a completly different listing. Also, notice that US Shenmue listed as a seperate entry than Shenmue, which in reality is the same exact game.

I could go on nitpicking all of the contradicting information in Wikipedia, but I think you get my point. The list on Wikipedia is not 100% correct. It is incomplete and has errors.