Page Location: Home > VS Link Games > Topic
wombat
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:52 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Segafreak was kind enough to share me the "DREAMCASTMAGAZINE GD VOL7" demo disc, which contains a Outtrigger demo. However the cool thing about the demo, it shows a cable play/link-up option opted out.

Unfortuatly I have no idea how to look for hidden options, codes or hack anything. But maybe one of you can? Maybe there is some workable code left to make cable play working on the demo and/or the full version!

So if you have experience hacking Dreamcast games, then please send me a PM and we can sort some things out.

btw:
I made a RAW dump of the disc, and extracted the following files.

[ROOT]

1ST_READ.BIN
OUTT.BIN

[FOLDER: OUTT]

ROOT.AFS
SPRITE.AFS
ST_BG1.AFS
ST_BG3.AFS
ST_BG4.AFS
ST_BOT2.AFS
ST_BOT4.AFS
ST_DK0.AFS
ST_DK2.AFS
ST_DK3.AFS
ST_DM0.AFS
ST_DM1.AFS
ST_DM3.AFS
ST_DM4.AFS
ST_DM6.AFS
Z_ADX.AFS

http://www.segaonline.nl/img/dump/OT_001.jpg

http://www.segaonline.nl/img/dump/OT_002.jpg

http://www.segaonline.nl/img/dump/OT_003.jpg
(not directfeed; becouse the devkit crashes at this point when trying to make a screendump)
Posted:
Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:22 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yea I have this disc. There is nothing to indicate that VS Cable play made it into the final version. This is most likely a feature that was planned but scrapped at the last minute to get the game out. I used a variety of debugging apps to look for evidence of VS cable play and did not find anything in the full version.

It is certainly worth looking into, but one should not be looking at Outtrigger just yet, but instead be looking at games that actually do use the VS cable. You would have to break those down and figure out what data would need to be sent to the Dreamcast, and back to the software again, to innitiate the VS Link mode. Then, you would have to experiment with Outtrigger to try and innitiate this same scenario.

The problem is that Outtrigger will more than likely lack a graphical interface or options screen for VS mode. That means nothing for player setup or game options.

If VS Cable mode worked, the developers obviously would have left it in the game. If there is code on the disc pertaining to VS Cable support, it is most likely unfinished.

The existance of this grayed out VS Cable option on the demo is merely a nostalgic relic of "what could have been".
Posted:
Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:21 pm
quote : #3
Your best bet would be to see if the full version of Outtrigger (JP) has VS mode somewhere in the bin file. I just searched my US demo and found no reference to the VS cable. Not sure what to make of that. It could either mean they built the US demo from an already localized version of the game or that the VS option was removed alltogether and the US demo was from a later build.

I found this string in the bin file:
Quote:
S.51 S.52 ver,NAOMI,G2,build_time=%s %s,ver_str=%s,vbr=0x%x,reg=0x%x May 30 2000 16:30:26

Open up outt.bin in the demo (I used notepad) and search for "NAOMI" and see if you can find that and let us know what the build date is. Also, search for "cable." You should find it in there. Do the same for the full version and see if the option is still there.

Regarding the development kit freezing up, once you took the screenshot, did you hit the resume / play button? Sometimes that helps.

Did your disc not contain a SFD movie? My Outtrigger folder contains a file called MOVIE00.SFD and it's around 115 MB.

wombat
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:37 am
quote : #4
mmm the build date looks the same!
S.51    S.52    ver,NAOMI,G2,build_time=%s %s,ver_str=%s,vbr=0x%x,reg=0x%x  May 30 2000 16:30:26

and this is the cable text inside the .BIN
NETWORK VS MODE - CABLE

Dreamcast ™ wrote:
Regarding the development kit freezing up, once you took the screenshot, did you hit the resume / play button? Sometimes that helps.

Yes I know, but it just won't work I get all kinds of error's. This is the first game that gave me this kind of error.

Dreamcast ™ wrote:
Did your disc not contain a SFD movie? My Outtrigger folder contains a file called MOVIE00.SFD and it's around 115 MB.

I just looked it over again, but I don't see any movie file in the OUTT folder

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:13 pm:

I just made a RAW dump of the full version OUTTRIGGER (J) and I found the following interesting text inside the 1ST_READ.BIN:
CABLE_1P

ver,NAOMI,G2,build_time=%s %s,ver_str=%s,hw=0x%x,vbr=0x%x,reg=0x%x  Feb 20 2001 11:39:01

So maybe there is some hope?
Posted:
Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:22 am
quote : #5
If VS Play did work, then would it be 1 on 1 or 4 on 4?

Check out my CSDC impressions post.
DCbrotha
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:26 pm
quote : #6
Type: NTC-U
Is there any possible way to contact anyone who actually helped create work and develop Outtrigger ?

We can start by Checking the games credits and jot down the names of those that worked with it.

From here, we can search out these contacts and see what corespondense we can get back. (emails, letters, what company they are employed, and even contact sega for a official list of what games are fully VS LINK COMPATIBLE with VS LINK options are built into the game? There has to be someone that knows with SEGA -AM2, the task is......finding a credible answer that they provide.

Having an official list from SEGA CORP for the Dreamcast games with full VS LINK support will eliminate all skeptical wishes.

MANNNNNNN..... I WOULD LOVE VS LINK OPTION WITH THIS!

Also, is there anyone out there, here that has 2 copies of OUTTRIGGER that has tried messing around to find success with it, try typing in button code configurations.....

That would be very helpful to know too....

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:14 am
quote : #7
Use a vga splitter and 2x screens - thats the easy way.
Posted:
Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:18 pm
quote : #8
i tried to link 2 outrigger (JAP) using Vscable

but no VSlink option appeared in the menu

if i can help in anything i will set things up again ...

here setup for aerodancing F

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pryonic/photos/aeroF0015.JPG

regards
Posted:
Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:05 am
quote : #9
Do you have a link to download DREAMCASTMAGAZINE GD VOL7?

SystemLinkRebel
rank 1
Posted:
Tue May 24, 2016 7:36 pm
quote : #10
Did anyone ever get Outtrigger to work with the VS link cable?