Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Nitro7777
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:19 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi,
I'm not new to Dreamcast but I am new to playing backup Dreamcast games. Currently I own three DC systems however only one of them plays backup games. I've never modified any of my systems or anything like that. To my knowledge, only some of the systems can play backup games. I'm just wondering which models of the DC can play backup DC games and how can I identify these systems when I go to purchase one???

Much thanks in advance!!!

Nitro

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:29 pm
quote : #2
Systems made after Christmas 2000 were changed so it could not read CD-R disks, this was to stop people from playing "backups". Look at the date on the bottom of your DC and you can tell when it was made. If it was made after the date then there is nothing you can do to make it play backups

Nitro7777
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:52 pm
quote : #3
Ok thanks!! That would explain the last two DC's I own but I'm still wondering what the deal is with my first Dreamcast.

DC 1 - Only plays some backups - 1999
DC 2 - Plays all backups - July 2000
DC 3 - Plays no backups - December 2000

I bought DC 1 on launch day and that only plays a select few backup games. Would anybody know why that is?? Maybe the first wave of DC's released were poorly made. Thanks again! At least now I know what to look for.

Nitro

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:11 pm
quote : #4
Poorly made, you could say that but its really a over statement. There was like so many other releases a reported problem with the first gen of Dreamcasts made for the US, the problem came when the Dreamcast wouldn't read official Dreamcast games not all but some had this issue. Mine did and returned it a little before the month return date ran out and got a new one. Looks like you ran into a string of bad luck. But it would have problems reading real games too, im not sure why it isn't reading them. Really off topic but just played the new Need for Speed game for PS2 and it kick ass!

Holiday
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:23 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
You might wanna check this out for more info about the 3 version of the DC

http://www.magickcupboard.com/Skankhair/partsswap.html