Page Location: Home > Past Online Games > Topic
MasquedWarrior
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:19 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I've been looking at the online games list, and something confused me. Some of the games released after the broadband adapter feature online multiplayer, in fact Q3A supports it even though it was released before the BBA. However, many online games made by Sega released later on, such as Ooga Booga only supported the dialup modem. Does anyone know why Sega didn't enable these games to use the BBA, even though they were released so long after the broadband adapter was, and more users likely had broadband connections by then?
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:48 pm
quote : #2
possible they wanted to keep people all on the same speed instead of giving a group of players an edge over the rest of the population, just like how pc games are now, the faster your connection the easier to kill your opponent
...look around and ask yourself if there's anyone better qualified...at that point in time. If...'yes,' ask them to accept command, and do everything you can... If...'no,' ...then take your best shot. That's all any of us can do.
JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:08 pm
quote : #3
Type: PAL
that was 2001. Many, many people were still using dialup.

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:46 am
quote : #4
Type: Pal
I kind of see the point in the question though. Lets make something then not support it very much, its not the first time sega did that.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:32 pm
quote : #5
Yeah would certainly have made life easier now...imagine no modem/BBA swapping...the bliss Smile

Can see the point of keeping things fair but I don't see that as any real reason for it as all the games would have had that issue...including Quake 3....so nah...think it was just an oversight...probably wasn't viewed as being worthwhile Sad

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:26 pm
quote : #6
segadreamcaster wrote:
Yeah would certainly have made life easier now...imagine no modem/BBA swapping...the bliss Smile

This can be solved by having 2 Dreamcasts hooked up. One for Broadband, and the other for Dialup. (this is what my setup is like)

segadreamcaster wrote:
Can see the point of keeping things fair but I don't see that as any real reason for it as all the games would have had that issue...including Quake 3....so nah...think it was just an oversight...probably wasn't viewed as being worthwhile Sad

Actually, the main reason some later games did not have BBA support probobly came down to the development cycle. If the game was started when Development Kits with Broadband support were not available, then the functionality was not likely to be added to the game later on, even if they had the capability to do so.

A lot of times, if a developer has made previous online games (in the case of Ooga Booga) they simply port over some code from previous games to get the networking side of the process rolling.

Given the Dreamcast's eminent departure from retail, I can see how developers may not be motivated to go the extra mile to add broadband support.
Posted:
Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:57 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
...A lot of times, if a developer has made previous online games (in the case of Ooga Booga) they simply port over some code from previous games to get the networking side of the process rolling...

I see. That makes sense. Thank you for clearing that up. Presumably Visual Concepts took networking code from a previous game that was easy to work with, so they could get out the game before the end of the Dreamcast's life in North America, and the networking code of said original game only supported dialup.
unknown
Posted:
Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:34 am
quote : #8
You also have to look at the availability of the BBA and just at the general time of everything. For one, the BBA was released in limited supply, and released later in the Dreamcast's life cycle, instead of at the start. Things were starting to look a little down for Sega, and dial-up was still the champ. Broadband wasn't as widely available and affordable as it is today. I believe that's the main things why more games didn't support the BBA.