1, 2, 3  Next
JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:06 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
You just go to http://www.dreamcast.com/ click on the image and then you will register an account with your Dreamcast serial number.

i wonder what Sega will do..

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:35 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I wonder what will happen when every rabbid Dreamcast community, every "blog" on the internet, and every message board, realizes that someone has setup the above domain name in an effort to scam the Dreamcast fanbase for google ad hits and affiliate points at play-asia.

input type="hidden" name="affiliate_id" value=380345

This is a scam.

Remember the shenmue.com/Shenmue Passport debocle?
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:15 am
quote : #3
This was posted by Christer-swe at Assemblergames.com:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=265736&postcount=11

Quote:
Domain Name: DREAMCAST.COM

Registrant:
SEGA CORPORATION
Shoji Takamitsu (Shoji_Takamitsu _AT_ sega.co.jp)
Haneda 1-2-12, Ohta-ku, Tokyo
Tokyo
null,1448531
JP
Tel. +81.0357367080

Creation Date: 12-Jun-2005
Expiration Date: 12-Jun-2008
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:58 am
quote : #4
Mail send from: Shenmue @ Dizinc.com.

I wouldn't register yet people.

Christuserloeser
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:02 am
quote : #5
Segafreak_NL wrote:
Mail send from: Shenmue @ Dizinc.com.

??? - So, you're saying it's a scam. - WTF !? Shocked
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:07 am
quote : #6
Well it does seem fishy, yes.

Maybe the intentions are actually good but I doubt this comes from SEGA Japan.

Christuserloeser
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:13 am
quote : #7
I hope something can be proven, I would hate to stop a running train. It will be impossible to get it back running...

On the other hand, if this is a scam, it needs to be stopped right now.

Mad
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:17 am
quote : #8
I'd say; register away. Just don't use your primary email and password.

Christuserloeser
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:21 am
quote : #9
Check your PMs, I don't feel very comfortable right now.

Please help me to understand your posts above: So you are saying that this Shemue guy emailed you ? or that this Shenmue guy is actually the guy behind this ? (potentially fake website, etc.)

Posted Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:48 pm:

-UPDATE-

Once again, it seems you were right, lordnikon. (I just wish you weren't Surprised )

Here's what Yakumo posted at AssemblerGames.com:

Yakumo wrote:
It's bull, Sega Japan has nothing to do with this and here's the plain and obvious reasons why.

1. The site is all in English ! (biggest and so obvious that you shouldn't need another reason).

2. Adds. Sega Japan NEVER use adds for anything apart from in house teams or Japanese affiliates. Never in their life would a big company like Sega want Play Asia or Google adds.

3. The mail addresses are very odd. Sega don't use these. I know because I get many official mails from Sega Japan.

4. Sega Direct links are pointless because it closes this month.

I think this is just a way to get peoples mail addressees for spam

Yakumo
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:12 pm
quote : #10
lordnikon wrote:
I wonder what will happen when every rabbid Dreamcast community, every "blog" on the internet, and every message board, realizes that someone has setup the above domain name in an effort to scam the Dreamcast fanbase for google ad hits and affiliate points at play-asia.

input type="hidden" name="affiliate_id" value=380345

This is a scam.

Remember the shenmue.com/Shenmue Passport debocle?

I think it's the same guy behind this. He was stupid enough to register shenmue.com using the name of his own fake company. I remember Sega DID let expire the dreamcast.com domain too. I'm also pretty sure I did a whois on dreamcast.com some time ago and I saw the name of the fake company again. He just changed the whois data to something that at least makes more sense. But still, it's a complete scam.

Gryzor
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:49 pm
quote : #11
It's fake. I registered with a fake serial, and it got accepted.

Check out my CSDC impressions post.
Christuserloeser
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:06 pm
quote : #12
Gryzor wrote:
It's fake. I registered with a fake serial, and it got accepted.

That itself would not necessarily mean anything / much. The way I understood it would be that you would get two emails: The first is a confirmation for your application, the second the actual approval with a link to your account (which only few seem to have gotten so far).

Segata Sanshiro wrote:
I think it's the same guy behind this. He was stupid enough to register shenmue.com using the name of his own fake company. I remember Sega DID let expire the dreamcast.com domain too. I'm also pretty sure I did a whois on dreamcast.com some time ago and I saw the name of the fake company again. He just changed the whois data to something that at least makes more sense. But still, it's a complete scam.

I agree. Personally I thought it's likely more a hack of Dreamcast.com though, but of course I could be wrong.

- What did happen with the Shenmue thing ? I heard about it today for the first time.
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:18 pm
quote : #13
i think this is a fake beacause sega stoped supporting the dreamcast consoles in last september , maybe this is not a fake Question

wait & see
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:35 pm
quote : #14
No need to wait, there is a 99,9% chance of it being fake.
Posted:
Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:44 pm
quote : #15
Christuserloeser wrote:
Segata Sanshiro wrote:

I agree. Personally I thought it's likely more a hack of Dreamcast.com though, but of course I could be wrong.

- What did happen with the Shenmue thing ? I heard about it today for the first time.

Sega couldn't care less about Shenmue or Dreamcast right now, so they let most Dreamcast-related domains expire. More than a year ago (can't remember the exact date) the shenmue.com domain expired. Someone registered the domain and uploaded a mirror of the then defunct Shenmue site. Since Shenmue Passport also connects to a shenmue.com subdomain, he managed to get Shenmue Passport partially working (all the download functions which had been previously mirrored by the community worked). He posted a message on Shenmue Dojo saying something like "hey guys, like at this, Sega is bringing Shenmue Passport back online". The user would then check he could indeed log in succesfully to Shenmue Passport, and be greeted with a "We're bringing back Shenmue Passport, stay tuned" message.

Now, if he had been a serious person, he would have told people "I just registered the shenmue.com domain and I think I can bring Shenmue Passport online, even though it's totally unofficial, but this is as good as it gets". Instead, he pretended to be Sega.

He registered the shenmue.com domain using his very own name (in case anyone is curious, he's from Colombia). He later changed it to make it look more legit. And I'm almost sure I saw him doing the very same thing with the dreamcast.com domain (first using his name, then changing it to someone from Sega).

Kotaku still has the news in their frontpage and haven't removed the links to the scam/phising site (almost every other site I've read has). It shows the damage that can be done when people get over excited and post news without carefully checking them. Decades ago, newspapers checked their news before printing them, now on the Internet people first post, and then check if it's true.

It's the second time something like this happens to the Dreamcast community and it sucks.