Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:29 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I know I'm just dreaming and ranting here, but wouldn't it be nice if a company like JVC (or Sega) were to build an all-in-one Sega console? You know, a box that had a GD-ROM optical drive plus four cartridge slots, and could play all the main Sega console games?

It would be sort of a "Sega Ages" but for hardware instead of games. The optical drive would read Dreamcast, Saturn, and Sega CD games, while the cartridge slots would be for:

(1) Master System games
(2) Genesis games
(3) 32X games
(4) Saturn expansion carts

And just to make the dream a little more "realistic," I should mention that there is a precedent for something like this happening. The Wondermega, which was called the X'Eye in North America, was made by JVC and was essentially a Sega Genesis and Sega CD put together in one console. It had both a top-loading CD drive for Sega CD games and a top-mounted cartridge slot for Genesis cartridges.

Of course, inside the box it would have all the hardware to run all of the systems' software in hardware (no emulation) and it would also include a built-in 4 meg RAM expansion for Saturn (for games like Vampire Savior). Oh, and it would use standard Dreamcast controllers, since they can do the job of the other systems' controllers. Of course, there is already (not a dream) an adapter available to use standard Saturn controllers as well as PS2 controllers on Dreamcast, just in case someone wanted to.

Anyone else think this is a nice dream?

OrochiSonic
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:08 pm
quote : #2
I would buy one! Very Happy
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:21 pm
quote : #3
You better believe I would too! I'm thinking it'd be worth about $200 to me, maybe a little more.

Oh, and did I mention that it would have a built in BBA and analog modem for Dreamcast online and Saturn NetLinking?

darkooga
rank 19
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:47 pm
quote : #4
ill pay 200 at least for it
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:55 pm
quote : #5
$300 would be a steal. Very Happy
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:57 pm
quote : #6
thats a cool idea, although i would probably just use my dreamcast to play all of them on emus.
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:36 pm
quote : #7
That would be cool if it was made, but im guessing they would trash the 32X if it was made, that system failed and only had like 30 or so games... but it did have DOOM!!! I have it and play it now and then

gamzor
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:40 pm
quote : #8
DreamcastMagic wrote:
That would be cool if it was made, but im guessing they would trash the 32X if it was made, that system failed and only had like 30 or so games... but it did have DOOM!!! I have it and play it now and then

ya 32x is pretty fun

for it i got

doom
fred couples golf
mortal kombat 2
star wars arcade
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:02 pm
quote : #9
star wars arcade... never heard of it ... is that any fun? Worth buying, not a fan of star wars but want to get some good games for 32

Chris5687
unknown
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:02 pm
quote : #10
That would own!! I wish someone would really make that.

Dreamcast Magic: Star Wars Arcade is an Average game. It's like an old kind of shooter. I never reaky enjoyed it a whole lot. I'm not a Star Wars fan though. I'd say it's wirth the $5 though.

gamzor
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:29 pm
quote : #11
ya its pretty fun game, and cool graphics for the time, its frickin hard though lol
Posted:
Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:00 am
quote : #12
Wow looked at some screenshots of it ... it was 3D! ill make sure to pick it up if I find it

MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:55 am
quote : #13
gamzor wrote:
star wars arcade

i looked at the box at a store a few days ago. it looks bad ass. starfox with a starwars backdrop. god, i better stop talking about it, its gonna make me wanna go out and get a 32x, genisis and a cd drive.
this tread is gonna get me in TROUBLE.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
martianviking
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:07 pm
quote : #14
And if you had our fantasy Sega console, you'd only need it, right? Wink

Those old Sega CD systems are just so hard to keep working...