Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:32 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
My DSL internet is down, and may continue to be for the next day or two. So, I have been using the Dreamcast on dialup to catch up on OC posts and check email.

Its been a while since I have used the DC on the net outside of testing stuff. Actually being able to use the custom dreamcast browser template here in a real world scenario is pretty cool.

I am shocked how fast the dc browser optimized template runs on dialup. Its no different than surfing on broadband.

I did however run into some nasty Session issues o PlanetWeb's browser. Not sure what is up with tha but it was happening on both 2.606 and 3.0 on dialu.

I switched over to Dreampassport and it is smooth sailing. I guess DP is better at maintaining login ssions and cookies than Pweb.

This isnt the first time I have used the DC as a failsafe for getting online. I'd say i use it about 3-4 times a year as an alternative when the DSL is acting up. Pretty Cool Smile
Posted:
Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:21 am
quote : #2
Type: Pal
lordnikon wrote:
My DSL internet is down, and may continue to be for the next day or two. So, I have been using the Dreamcast on dialup to catch up on OC posts and check email.

Its been a while since I have used the DC on the net outside of testing stuff. Actually being able to use the custom dreamcast browser template here in a real world scenario is pretty cool.

I am shocked how fast the dc browser optimized template runs on dialup. Its no different than surfing on broadband.

I did however run into some nasty Session issues o PlanetWeb's browser. Not sure what is up with tha but it was happening on both 2.606 and 3.0 on dialu.

I switched over to Dreampassport and it is smooth sailing. I guess DP is better at maintaining login ssions and cookies than Pweb.

This isnt the first time I have used the DC as a failsafe for getting online. I'd say i use it about 3-4 times a year as an alternative when the DSL is acting up. Pretty Cool Smile

Yeh comes in handy for me sometimes to have Dreamkey 3.0 as a back up. I cant test any of the earlier versions as the discs no longer work Sad Cant say that I ever really noticed any problems with the site when I was surfing on Dreamcast and I did that for some cosiderable time before I had a PC. There is only one noticeable problem I find with posting on the site with a Dreamcast but its not only here it seems to be in most games too. I dont know if anyone else gets this but to me its like the Dreamcast cant keep up with my typing speeds and miss's letter at the ends of lines also miss's a lot of spaces. Now I know the problems is not me as I dont get this at all when using the PC at home or at work I can pretty much type with very few mistakes where as with DC i continually have to be going back over the text and adding in letters and spaces. In fairness to DC though I will say I have noticed this too on another console of the same generation.

Laters
Posted:
Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:15 am
quote : #3
That's awesome that you can use the DC Dial-up that well, I have planet web 2.0 and whenever I use it it's SLOW. Maybe I should give Dreampassport a try.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:35 pm
quote : #4
Blast wrote:
I dont know if anyone else gets this but to me its like the Dreamcast cant keep up with my typing speeds and miss's letter at the ends of lines also miss's a lot of spaces. Now I know the problems is not me as I dont get this at all when using the PC at home or at work I can pretty much type with very few mistakes where as with DC i continually have to be going back over the text and adding in letters and spaces.

I ran into this as well, but only after re-editing one of my posts. The trick is to type really slow Wink

Jimyerk2k wrote:
That's awesome that you can use the DC Dial-up that well, I have planet web 2.0 and whenever I use it it's SLOW. Maybe I should give Dreampassport a try.

Well, most websites these days will cripple the Dreamcast browser making it very slow. I was referring to the special Dreamcast Optimized template here at OC. It should only be used on the Dreamcast though, and can be toggled via the board style option in your profile or via the bottom of the main forum index. If you login from your Dreamcast first while still using the PC template, you need to use the option at the base of the message boards in order to switch the site template.

Like I said, the Dreamcast optimized template is specifically designed to be as bandwidth efficient and clean as possible. Its just as fast as broadband if you use that template. Cool
Posted:
Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:51 pm
quote : #5
Type: PAL
Smile That has happen to me before too a few times, but more because of PC problems, so I used the DC to go online. Shame the DC browsers are getting very old and many pages don't work good though.
rank 28
Posted:
Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:09 pm
quote : #6
Been down that road quite a few times with PS2 OC and non-working cable modem and having to tell what was going on using the DC browser. Shocked `