Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:36 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: Pal
Let me first say that this problem is not just specific to Dreamcast it is a problem on all my modern consoles but for the rules of this website please only discuss Dreamcast and Saturn.

I am outputting from the console to the video/dvd recorder using a composite cable. in all instances I get a result that is very similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuG7Dd8KT54 (thats not a dc related video but its the same problem shown). Is it just impossible for the recording devices to record a 60htz signal? very annoying if it is I would rather not use a PC for this as the conventional recording method is so much easier to set up. The DVD recorder seems to fair slightly better than the video as the picture is just offset but perfectly viewable. The vidoe often phases in and out of snow, black and white, and total loss of picture. My DVD recorder for any tech heads is Sony RDR-GX7

As a last resort I supose the only option is to record some footage as show in the video above then transfer to PC and edit out that section of screen. Can see me getting a headache trying that though.

Any ideas?

Laters
Posted:
Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:19 am
quote : #2
Mine does the same thing. In fact it won't even let me record it (it only displays video similar to that link). I think it depends on the DVD recorder. Some handle 60hz, others don't. I suppose manufacturers only expect people to record TV with them.
Posted:
Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:46 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ok, just had a play with this and my DVD recorder (cheap Daewoo) was able to record a 60hz signla without any shakes wobbles or the like..all was fine..the only draw back was a little of the top and bottom of the picture was cut off.

I think one of the main things here is that you try using an RGB signal, so either use scart or S-Video as the source..not composite..if you are still having the problem after using that I guess it must be the player Sad

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
Christuserloeser
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:52 am
quote : #4
Yeah, try it with RGB-SCART, component or VGA instead of Composite.
Posted:
Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:38 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
im not using a DVD recorder. but when i do record i use a digital video camera. it has audio and video inputs. it was made to record tv shows. any way it has a feature to change between 50 or 60htz. but it has to be changed manually

your recorder was made to do the same thing so its possible it has the same feature. look through its menu for a 60htz feature.
Posted:
Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:39 am
quote : #6
Type: Pal
Roger that guys I will give the scart or s video a run out later. Just co-incidently I though to myself there was a whole different problem I had once before but the result was the same http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7998&highlight=tee I never got that sorted Sad getting the same kind of feeling from this.

Laters

Posted Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:41 pm:

gary_b wrote:
im not using a DVD recorder. but when i do record i use a digital video camera. it has audio and video inputs. it was made to record tv shows. any way it has a feature to change between 50 or 60htz. but it has to be changed manually

your recorder was made to do the same thing so its possible it has the same feature. look through its menu for a 60htz feature.

Thanks for the advice I must say I dont have a manual for the recorder so I will look at it some more.

Laters
Posted:
Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:08 pm
quote : #7
Using a different connector will not help. The problem is the number of lines per frame. SDTV@60hz uses less lines, so the rest of the picture is filled with garbage. RGB-SCART only helps if the picture is normal but black and white.