Previous  1, 2, 3
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:58 pm
quote : #31
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
no info as of late, I always post info as soon as I have it, so until i have made progress on anything of course I won't be posting any updates on progress
Posted:
Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:36 am
quote : #32
Anything new we need to know?
Posted:
Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:49 pm
quote : #33
And this thread still lives on... Laughing

Actually I do have a bit of an update: Even though I have yet to start this project, I recently got ahead on a lot of work relating to research and site stuff. I am cought up on many things and am pooling resources into actually playing games, but also projects for existing online games like... making maps for 4x4 Evolution. So sometime in the near future I should start to finally tinker with this. I have no set timeline though as I just barely started playing games with the community again in the last few weeks and am trying to keep that going for a long while before I thrust myself into anymore projects.

Will keep you all updated as to when I start in on this map project.
Posted:
Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:51 am
quote : #34
lordnikon wrote:
Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Yea I do plan on making this so it would seem like a full professional expansion for the game. Also it will be made available on the website as VMI files and DCI nexus files. So people will actually be able get them through the site, rather than having to mess with getting them through 4x4 Evo.

ultrapro wrote:
one idea or crazy hair brained thought i had would be that seeing as 200 blocks is a tad small would it be possible to release like more than one set? say for instance 4x4 expansion vol 1, vol 2, vol 3 etc etc....(200 blocks per expansion) it could grow into something huge you know loads of different tracks, maybe one expansion pack every few months! or is that taking it a bit far?!!? Mr. Green

200 blocks is a limited space to work in, however this is the most practical medium to release this as. If I did a 400 block release, then it would require 2 whole VMU's. What if someone only has 1 dreamcast controller? Or doesn't want to plug the other one in. Or even having to constantly plug and unplug the 2 vmu's to swap between them. Releasing it as a 400 block expansion pack at once would be too much.

I will plan on doing multiple expansion packs. However for each release I feel 200 blocks is the best size. It allows people to just need 1 free empty VMU available in order to take advantage of the new tracks. If I did any larger of a release it would start to cut out people 1 by 1.

Dude, he never said anything about releasing a 400 block file. He suggested releasing multiple 200 block files with different tracks on each - hence the Vol 1, Vol 2, etc. It would then be up to users which volume they used when searching for games online.

Anyway, it is a great idea. I just need to get my hands on the game now!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:00 pm
quote : #35
Yea I never said anything about a 400 block file either. I clearly said (as can be read in the quote above) that if I released a map pack for 4x4 Evolution which took up 400 blocks then it would then it would have to be split up over multiple VMU's.

Since that post was from a few years ago, my outlook today is that I can't even comment on how I would go about releasing a map exapansion yet. I have not spent enough time working on this to say how I would go about releasing the expansion.
Posted:
Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:04 am
quote : #36
You mean the expansion is finished and just waiting for a release method? Wink

DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:46 pm
quote : #37
lordnikon wrote:
And this thread still lives on... Laughing

Actually I do have a bit of an update: Even though I have yet to start this project .

It was just a theoretical example if the tracks (when finished) if they took up that much space and what would be done then.
Chances are while a download would be nice we would more than likely have the tracks hosted somewhere like the bulk of 4x4's user created material.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:11 pm
quote : #38
Gareth.de wrote:
You mean the expansion is finished and just waiting for a release method? Wink

No nothing has even been started yet. All I did was test out the map maker on PC a few years ago. Since then I have not looked at it. This 4x4 Evo map project is just one thing in a long list of tasks I create for myself. I tend to have so many things on the brain that I am constantly busy working on stuff and certain things such as this get shuffled to the back of the list. In a sort of pergatory if you will.

I have no date/time set when I will start working on this. I wish I did, but like I said my own ambitions are my own worst enemy.
Posted:
Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:28 am
quote : #39
i totally understand you lord. when i start something i throw my wholeself into it and will go without eating or sleeping trying to see it to the end. b u t if something distracts me from my goal sometimes my ambition goes out the window and whatever it was i was doing will go a long time before it gets finished. just ask my wife. Laughing