1, 2  Next
NibelheimPromise
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:51 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Just curious to know how people play OT. Obviously, the keyboard is the most effective way to go, but when you want a little extra challenge, it's always good to pop in the old controller and attempt to frag some AI-fools. I tend to have a liking for the D1 scheme. it seems the most natural for me, although having to switch from the analog to the d-pad in order to strafe is a real pain in the ass at times, but I've almost become accustom to it. So much that I can strafe on the fly without actually having to really stop too much in the middle of a fire fight. Regardless, if you play Outtrigger, post your controller scheme preference; I'm curious to know what everyone else uses/likes.
Posted:
Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:44 pm
quote : #2
It's been a while since I've fired up the Dreamcast... I think I use the D1 control scheme, also. That's the one that mimicks mouse-control with the stick and "WASD" with the action buttons, right? I think that control scheme is best.
Posted:
Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:15 pm
quote : #3
It's the control scheme that allows you to run forward with the R-trigger, and backwards with the L-trigger. The face buttons are assigned to jumping, shooting, weapon swapping (which is horribly implemented seeing as you have to cycle through all of your weapons in order to get to your desired one), and view changes. The analog stick is used for looking around, and the d-pad is used for strafing. I feel like it's the only somewhat natural control type the game offers, other than the mouse and keyboard.
Posted:
Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:10 am
quote : #4
Type: PAL
In Outtrigger i use the default control setting, it's easy to use like in medal of honor on PS1
Posted:
Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:03 am
quote : #5
NibelheimPromise wrote:
weapon swapping (which is horribly implemented seeing as you have to cycle through all of your weapons in order to get to your desired one)

But you only have three weapons, so you have to press the button twice at most anyway. Mr. Green
Posted:
Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:35 am
quote : #6
Posted Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:35 pm:

phredreeke wrote:
But you only have three weapons, so you have to press the button twice at most anyway. Mr. Green

haha, true, but hitting that button twice leaves me open to taking a rocket in the face. Plus, considering the control schemes they give you, your fingers are already doing enough as it is. So having to press a button twice in the midst of all the chaos becomes a bit much on the old brain. ^^
Posted:
Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:57 pm
quote : #7
Type: PAL
NB-DanTE wrote:
In Outtrigger i use the default control setting, it's easy to use like in medal of honor on PS1

Same here, I don't change anything.

polandDC
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:47 pm
quote : #8
Im not sure whats my scheme's mark that I use in OT but its so alike regular controller scheme in quake which I had to play with for a long time before purchased kb+mouse. I still have skills that left of playing quake so today it makes me easy in OT.
Posted:
Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:07 am
quote : #9
i think i used the controller when playing.. though kb and mouse works pretty good. i played soldier of fortune and half life (offline) that way. i think my basic strategy for outrigger though was to get shot promptly by grube. Neutral haha i remember we ran a tournament for this game but i didnt practice for it apparently

Douggie
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:30 pm
quote : #10
Because my friends all suck at it, on the rare occasions that i play it I play with scheme F1 to give myself a bit of a challenge.

You know, the one where you have to hold the controller UPSIDE DOWN for NO APPARENT REASON.

I do love Outrigger =)

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:43 pm
quote : #11
Actually the upside down controller scheme isn't just there for no reason. It was designed specifically to let you play with the analog stick on the right side of the controller instead of the left Wink
Posted:
Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:21 pm
quote : #12
Secretly, I know that Razz

The hard part of playing it like that (and hence the reason I do it) is that you only have a single weapon change button, and i always get jump and fire mixed up cos as i remember it, they're very illogically placed.

However, massive credit to the developers for even thinking of it - unless you know of another example, im fairly sure its unique?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:37 pm
quote : #13
Outtrigger is the only game I know of on the Dreamcast or anywhere else, that has a controller scheme which was designed specifically for flipping your controller upside down. Pressing the triggers is obviously challenging in this scheme but its at least an interesting idea that they put into the game.
Posted:
Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:24 pm
quote : #14
None I cant figure out how to play Outrigger are you supposed to move and then shoot or shoot then move or getv a 3rd hand and due both?

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:43 am
quote : #15
Try the D controller configurations fattony. Those should allow you to move with the face buttons and aim with the analog stick.