Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
Na'Ryan[UK]
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:23 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi Peoples Smile

A few friends of mine who have Dreamcasts have begged err I mean asked me if I would set up Quake 3 with the Dreamcast map pack, so they could occasionaly play Quake 3 online against each other.
They have used other UK servers, but they said they have either been unable to get 4 of them on or they have had other players who were cheating by hiding in the walls???
And since they know me and I have a 1mbit ADSL connection (120k down 30k up), If they had problems with a cheater I would soon be able to kick that peep off.

So I dug out my Quake 3 CD (for my pc, don't have Quake 3 for the Dreamcast as it's the Wife's console & divorce would soon follow if I touched it Wink ), downloaded the Dreamcast mappack (from fileplanet) and the v1.16n point release (as recomended in the readme file)

Installed Quake 3, patched it, installed mappack, ran game set it up.
But the problem is when I select the maps dc_map08, dc_map19 or dc_map22 the game instantly crashes. It does this if it is in either listen or dedicated server mode.
Also in the mappack there is no dc_map01, it starts at dc_map02. Is this correct?

It causes Quake 3 to crash on both my computers.
Specs of the PC's are.

PC1
AMD 3200+ (aero 7+ heatsink and fan)
Asus A7N8X Deluxe (ultra) Motherboard
Enermax 550w PSU
1gb (2x512mb) Corsair XMS memory
Leadtek 5900FX ViVo
Soudblaster Audigy
Pioneer 105 DVD-RW
Lite-ON 52-24-52
3x 120gb Western Digital Caviar (8mb cache) drives (2 on striped raid)
Using onboard 3com NIC for LAN/Internet
Windows XP SP1 (plus all other fixes from windows update)
DirectX 9.0b
Forceware 53.03 Video drivers
Nforce v2.64 Drivers
And the Audigy Drivers that were released last month

PC2 The system I was going to run the Quake 3 server on
AMD 2400+ (aero 7+ heatsink and fan)
Asus A7N8X Deluxe (ultra) Motherboard
450w Qtec PSU
1gb (2x512mb) of ellixir (spelling???) memory
Geforce 4 Ti4600
Soundstorm onboard sound
Lite-on DVD-ROM
Lite-on 32-12-40
Using onboard 3com NIC for LAN/Internet
Windows XP SP1 (plus all other fixes from windows update)
DirectX 9.0b
Forceware 52.70 Video drivers
Nforce v2.64 Drivers

All other programs were closed down, Apart from virus checker as it could only be disabled for a certain time (using Mcafee 7 pro).
Checked PC temp just after Quake 3 crashed and PC1 was at 37'c and PC2 was at 35'c, Used Motherboard monitor 5 to check temps.
[/u]

DreamcastMagic
banned!
Posted:
Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:57 am
quote : #2
As far as cheaters in Q3 their were no codes but maybe some clipping some where, UT had one spot like that. Try reinstalling the map pack and Q3 something isn't right. Your computers should have no problem running it

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:15 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
I still have yet to aquire a copy of Quake 3 for the PC. I have been to 5 stores. Can you believe they do not have Quake 3 for the PC in stock. One of the best selling PC games of all time. I still can't believe it. SO FRUSTRATING. Plus I even go to ebgames and other online stores. Not in stock. WHAT is happening?!!?!!?!

As soon as I aquire my PC copy, I will have a complete "Quake 3 Server Setup" guide up. As you can see in the sites extended navigation its listed as coming soon. It will be up as soon as possible. I just need to get my hands on a PC copy to troubleshoot this.

I think you might need a file called "segapak.pk3". However I can't say for sure, I really need to get my hands on a PC copy and actually go through the motions of setting this up. Give me a week or so tops and I should have a copy. So bookmark this thread, the answers will be up soon Smile
Posted:
Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:36 pm
quote : #4
Excellent; that would be quite useful. (I'm still trying to track down my disc; I have the case, box, code, and everything, but no disc. Hrmmm.)

Na'Ryan[UK]
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:00 pm
quote : #5
Welp tried re-installing (several times)
Re-formating and doing a clean install on the other pc.
but no luck Sad
Still crashes on the same 3 levels.

However when I installed the most resent patch V1.32 those 3 levels load and play fine Confused
But that ain't no good as no patch above 1.16n is good for Dreamcast games Sad
So should I try earlier patches? or none at all???

[UKR]DreamcastUK
unknown
Posted:
Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:38 pm
quote : #6
hello there

this is the problem I have.....

I have Quake 3 Arena on the PC and it is Q3A gold which is the DVD version which comes with Q3A and Q3TA.

Q3A in this pack is set to standard as 1.30 so when I download the 1.16 patch it wont work ...

I downloaded all the files needed and set it all up right but it gets as far as the ID video and crashes.

if I was to play this on 1.30 it would say at the bottom DEMO VERSION when all the map packs are in the folder.
Posted:
Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:41 pm
quote : #7
Guess I should read the readme's more

Quote:
You may experience crash problems if you attempt to run the following maps: dc_map08, dc_map19, or dc_map22 on a PC listen server with bot support enabled (“bot_enable 1”). On any version of Quake 3 prior to 1.17, these maps will crash the server. If you wish to run a listen server on these maps, we recommend that you set “bot_enable 0” in the command line, or in the server.cfg. Additionally, these maps can be played on a listen server with bots if you are running Quake 3 version 1.17 or later (this applies to PC players only – Dreamcast clients cannot connect to any Quake 3 version past 1.16N).

That's from the known issue's bit.
Guess I realy need to get some sleep before I start to play with games.
2 days too long!!!!
Mind you it was crashing in Dedicated mode too, but I guess I was missing something out in that too.

*Closes eyes, glenches teeth and waits to get hit back to sence with the nearest 3DO.[/quote]

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:04 am
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U/C
Just wanted to say, tonight I ran out and tracked down a copy of Quake 3 Gold. I will be messing with this tonight to get it up and working. Will have a tutorial up on the site soon Smile
Posted:
Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:21 am
quote : #9
Just discoved today when I woke up that server voting is enabled by default.
So peeps can vote to change maps, game type and kick peeps.

Not that much of a problem, but when you run a ctf server and peeps change the map to a normal DM map (but leave the game type as CTF) it kind of ruins the point.
Also if like me some of the maps crash the server then those peeps could take your server offline.

So it might be best to add set g_allowvote 0 into your server config file.

freaky
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:15 pm
quote : #10
hey Na'Ryan[UK] i used to have the same problem as you ,try removing the 1.16n patch and using the 1.16j beta patch instead,its much more stable Laughing

EDIT:
oh yeah i forgot the reason you dont have dc_map01 is becouse sega never released it.
it is however on the unofficial map pack along with all the other missing maps.
if you want them i have them on my site to download,its called the dc_ss mappack.
the maps are dc_map01 and dc_ss401 to dc_ss409. Laughing
www.geocities.com/gotclan1/links.html

Na'Ryan[UK]
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:04 pm
quote : #11
Tried that patch and no go, still crashes on those levels Sad
Anyhoo just wondered, can you use the dc_ss maps for online play?
As I take it dc_ss407 to dc_ss409 are CTF maps, and if they can be used for online play I will add them to my server map rotation

freaky
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:10 am
quote : #12
yeah they work fine online they only have one problem and that is that if a dc player trys to connect when your server is on a ssmap the fight button will be disabled,so the only way a dc player can play on them is to be on the server when the map changes or to type the ip address in. Laughing
Posted:
Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:32 pm
quote : #13
Ah ok, think I'll leave it as is.
Thanks for the links to the extra maps anyways Smile