1, 2  Next
Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:30 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Everytime i read about the Dreamcast's history its always about what happened in Japan and in America, so what happened to the Cast in Europe? did it do well or did it flop like it did everywhere else?

Mazonemayu
rank 27
Posted:
Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:06 pm
quote : #2
As far as I can remember, the new DC stuff started disappearing over here (belgium) in the shops, from the moment they announced it was going to be discontinued. Within 2 or 3 months after that the DC was gone here.

They tried liquidating it at a high price too, within a few months after that, they didn't even sell second hand DC games anymore; why I wonder, coz they were still selling second hand psx & even N64 stuff in the local (mainstream Wink ) gamesshop at that time.

Lucky for me, I have a friend who runs a second hand games store & who loves the DC too Mr. Green

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:59 am
quote : #3
Lucky, i can't really remember much of the Dreamcast being advertised in the UK, god knows how i got one.

Gforce
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:24 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Mazonemayu wrote:
As far as I can remember, the new DC stuff started disappearing over here (belgium) in the shops, from the moment they announced it was going to be discontinued. Within 2 or 3 months after that the DC was gone here.

They tried liquidating it at a high price too, within a few months after that, they didn't even sell second hand DC games anymore; why I wonder, coz they were still selling second hand psx & even N64 stuff in the local (mainstream Wink ) gamesshop at that time.

Lucky for me, I have a friend who runs a second hand games store & who loves the DC too Mr. Green
Yea! I always noticed that here. I would always ask myself, "Why are they still selling N64 games but no Dreamcast games???"

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:39 pm
quote : #5
Type: Pal
Saturn wrote:
Lucky, i can't really remember much of the Dreamcast being advertised in the UK, god knows how i got one.

Thats because the adverts were a big pile of crap that hardly even showed a dreamcast, isnt that a bit odd? It was weird stuff about haircuts and other such nonsense. I just looked on youtube for some didnt find any with a quick search but this is about as much dreamcast as you saw if any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHMFfKOc1So

Laters
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:15 pm
quote : #6
Odd commercial Blast. The whole 'abstract' concept really backfired. The Dreamcast reference felt like it was phoned in towards the end. Neutral

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:17 pm
quote : #7
Wow, I wasn't really sure I was watching a Dreamcast commercial till the last few seconds of the video.

shrap
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:42 pm
quote : #8
ummm interesting i hope the guy who came up with that add got fired then beaten with a dreamcast controller and all this was videotaped b/c that would still make more sense then that commercial did. Laughing
Posted:
Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:00 am
quote : #9
Blast wrote:
Saturn wrote:

Thats because the adverts were a big pile of crap that hardly even showed a dreamcast, isnt that a bit odd? It was weird stuff about haircuts and other such nonsense. I just looked on youtube for some didnt find any with a quick search but this is about as much dreamcast as you saw if any.

Laters

What the hell was that?

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:13 pm
quote : #10
Saturn wrote:
Blast wrote:
Saturn wrote:

Laters

What the hell was that?

It was an advert for dreamarena. I remember liking those add's, guess it was just me...
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:49 am
quote : #11
mcmonkey wrote:
Saturn wrote:
Blast wrote:
Saturn wrote:

Laters

What the hell was that?

It was an advert for dreamarena. I remember liking those add's, guess it was just me...

Lol, and how are people suppose to know its for Dreamarena?

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:36 am
quote : #12
it was about playing the DC online...

Yeh, sega were great at advertising Wink
rank 10
Posted:
Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:22 am
quote : #13
According to VGchartz:

DC- Sega Mar-2007 JAPAN-0.00 / 2.32 NA- 0.00 / 4.60 PAL- 0.00 / 2.21 Total- 0.00 / 9.13

Of course this only goes up to March-2007 and as we all know millions more have been sold since then on ebay. LOL

Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:33 am
quote : #14
Most of those Dreamcast are preowned, so its a cycle really so it doesn't add on to the total Dreamcast sales.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:48 am
quote : #15
vgcharts information on anything dreamcast and prior is innaccurate. It wasn't until recent years that game sales were released to the public on a regular basis. So I wouldn't take anything from vgcharts on the DC as gospel.

Here are some actual statistics that I can confirm are accurate (because they come from my own research): Of all of the games released in North America, which total 248 titles, 55 of these were developed by studios in PAL regions. 51 in Europe, and 4 in Australia. I still have to crunch the numbers on how many PAL games were developed by PAL studios. It can be assumed that there are definatly more than 55.

So I think from a development standpoint, Europe definatly made its mark when it comes to making Dreamcast games.