Page 1 of 1
schnappy
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:49 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hey guys,
I have an old box with Windows 98 on it, which I'm wanting to establish as a permanent PC-DC server. I've never got my Dreamcast online before...

First I need to get hardware setup. For a modem, will this suffice?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=120277038279&Category=14919&_trksid=p3907.m29
OR
http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=3&Sub2=7&PID=70
?

Now setting it all up is a pain from what I've read... I intend to play PSO. So I can 'blind-dial'... so I don't have to do all the swapping (Which I can't do because I highly doubt the parents will approve) stuff.

So I'm reading through this
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_pcdcwin98.php

To my understanding all I need is to have "Dreamcast <MODEM> PC <ETHERNET> WAN".

Before I go to a lot of hassle, I was just wanting to clarify that to play PSO over PC-DC, I can have a simple computer with win98 and a modem and everything will be fine? No swapping cables etc... Then I just need to use the setup guide for Dial Up server and WinRoute for ports and I'm all set?

Schnappy

-Also, the front page (news) mentions a support section... I can't find it Sad

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:53 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Schnappy, looks like you are on the right track. Both of the modems you linked support VOICE, which is essential. Get whichever modem you are most comfortable with.

Don't worry about swapping the phone line. The modem that I have connects without use of swapping. All I have to do it hit connect on the Dreamcast, wait about 5 seconds, then hit 'Allow Caller Access' on my PC. The only game you might potentially run into a pitfall with is 4x4 Evolution.

Follow the guide and you should be set. If you have any problems, feel free to post and ask questions. I'm always here to help.

P.S: Can we have this thread moved to the PC-DC Server forum?

schnappy
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:56 am
quote : #3
Ha i just found the support section... feel free to move this.

OK, you say 4x4 evo is problematic... how so? Because I might play Q3 or something, which doesn't have blind dial. Hence needing the swap thing... Yet you say you have no problems?

Just checking, thanks

Schnappy.

It's 2am here, in the morning (dawn whatnot) I'll find that computer and try and set it up. I'll find a modem somewhere xD

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:02 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
4x4 Evolution will not connect to the master server unless you have the correct ports forwarded on your router. No other game gives me trouble other than 4x4.

I should clarify what I said about the swapping. No other game but Q3 needs it, but if you can run a phone line into the PHONE port on your modem, you'll be fine. You don't need to swap with your Dreamcast. In fact, you can unplug the phone line from the PHONE port when you are done connecting.

schnappy
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:54 pm
quote : #5
I haven't forgotten about this Razz I've just been a bit distracted with other things. Also the computer I was going to use cacked it Razz

But a family friend gave me an old'ish computer, it's a celeron something. I haven't done anything with it yet...

I'm looking at modems. I should be able to get one of these:
http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=3&Sub2=7&PID=70

It has VOICE and all that, but I downloaded the manual since I'm wanting to see how everything hooks up. [LAN] -ethernet- [PC] -modem- [Dreamcast Model]. Is this how it all goes together? I got the manual for the above modem... does the DC connect to the modem at the LINE port? I'm just clarifying that that modem will work fine, as i don't have much money to spare/lose!

Thanks!