1, 2, 3  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:23 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was doing some tinkering and such to figure out exactly how all of 4x4 EVO's internet functions work online. Many people kept asking how the whole direct-ip feature worked. It first just signs you online. So at this point your just signed into the internet not onto any specific server. Then it lets you go from there, letting you make the next decision in your online process. You can join a dedicated chat server to organize games, or sign on to gamespy and retrieve your buddy list, or join a direct-ip game, or host a game.

Originally when you join the main 4x4 evo server and host a game there it doesn't display a message showing the IP and port your running off of. I guess this is what never prompted people to try actually hosting a game before ever entering the primary 4x4 communications server. However I did just that, and just signed on with the game and then went directly to host game.

It was interesting because I went and hosted a game without joining any chat room, then it shows your IP and port number that you are hosting on! It actually shows the IP you have and what port. So basically you don't even have to sign on to anything at all!!!!!! All you have to do is have your dreamcast, 4x4 evo and an internet account and the dreamcast itself can act as a server allowing you DIRECT IP ADDRESS based user to user gameplay.

So that means 4x4 EVO and Quake 3 are now online forever and can never be taken away from us. :) Confirmed :D It's like a warm blanket.

*EDIT*(This is actually a reply from later in this thread, but added it as an edit to this, since it was important for people to read this all in one spot.) Another thing I just found out, it seems that the DNS on the master server was having issues again and I couldn't connect to tonights sunday game.

Well at first I am like...well...great this means that if we can't connec to the master server then we can't ever play this online because it needs to hit the master server to get to the direct-ip option.

BUT I was letting it idle and go through the motions, it took forever but eventually it would just say 'we could not reach the master server, would you like to connect anyway? or try again?' I hit connect anyway and it will then connect to th net allowing me to sign into gamespy or use the direct-ip option.

The only crummy thing about this is....if the master server really does ever go down...then in order to play this online we have to wait quit sometime for it to timeout and allow us to play. It takes about 2-3 minutes I would say for it to timeout. No that huge of a deal. I'm not really complaining cause hey altleast we'll always be able to play it online.

Close call there, at first I thought I would have to take down this post and put up some bad news :[ Thank god the game still connected to the internet allowing us to access the direct-ip option.

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:33 am; edited 12 times in total
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:37 pm
quote : #2
yayyy!

Great news Smile
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:45 pm
quote : #3
cool another game that will stay up 4 ever Exclamation

Tank
rank 6
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:49 pm
quote : #4
Well that's cool. I think I must have over 100 hours playing 4x4 online. Can you still download tracks? And what is the URL for the tracks you download. It used to be

vales.com/evo1/tracks/area51.lte

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:02 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yea there are still map sites around. I think I am gonna just get a gillion free hosts's take all the maps and upload them to the free hosts and have a gillion different mirrors. This should solve the problem of some people not being able to download specific maps.

Also the fact that once your online and your hosting a game, and there is no central chat area, having a gamespy account and people on your buddy list is essential. Then once you have hosted a game you can PM them your IP:PORT for connect. So the gamespy buddy list definatly comes in handy in this respect.

But there will always be people with broadband and dialup so someone with such a setup can always host a game and then post the IP and port in an event listing for hosting a game.

Even still I don't think the main chat server that is up right now is going anywhere anytime soon. However it is very interesting that we can control 4x4 evo without any external support.
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:35 pm
quote : #6
this made me so happy, i just ordered 4x4 evo, shall be here in about 5 days, then we will play online!
Posted:
Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:01 am
quote : #7
cool, that means am going to be king of the hill for a long time.
Posted:
Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:25 am
quote : #8
i'll have to get this game now. Very Happy
Posted:
Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:49 am
quote : #9
this is so cool ive got this game sitting here but never played it before :/ think im gonna have to start!

evilnine
unknown
Posted:
Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:00 am
quote : #10
nikon dont i get a little bit of credit Sad
Posted:
Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:41 am
quote : #11
evilnine did you help find this cool bit of inferomarion? If so, hats off to you man. The oc needs more good people like you.
Posted:
Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:11 pm
quote : #12
can european 4x4 evo play against yanks and the rest of the world? also starlancer is that world wide or just europe plays europe?

gamzor
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:47 pm
quote : #13
ssjamie wrote:
can european 4x4 evo play against yanks and the rest of the world? also starlancer is that world wide or just europe plays europe?

um 4x4 was only made in the us.
Posted:
Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:05 pm
quote : #14
was it?oh well. can i play the us version online from the uk then?

frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:04 pm
quote : #15
im pretty sure, but ull need a bootdisk