Page 1 of 1
The Downer
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:07 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I've have VOOT for quite awhile and never experienced the true control scheme. I was wondering if there was a reliable place to import the sticks for a good price?

I suppose in a related topic.. is there also a good place for the system link cable?
Posted:
Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:53 am
quote : #2
ye olde ebay, expect to pay up for the stick

Blue Rogues...Attack!!!
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:08 pm
quote : #3
Good places to scour for Twin Sticks are:
  • ebay
  • play-asia.com
  • neo-geo.com (marketplace > everything else forum)
  • digitpress.com (buy/sell forum, 10 days registration required to view)
The key thing is to keep your eyes peeled for a Dreamcast OR a Saturn Twin Stick. You can buy a Total Control 3 Saturn to Dreamcast convertor (must use this convertor) to use a Saturn Twin Stick on the Dreamcast.

Best places for a DC VS Cable are ebay, or rarely at play-asia when they get some in stock. Worth doing a search there for it every once and a while, or bookmarking the product to see if it comes in stock again.
Posted:
Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:23 pm
quote : #4
Nice, thanks. I was actually at play-asia just a little while ago too. I didn't know how secure it was but i'm thinking is pretty good now.
Posted:
Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:36 pm
quote : #5
Toysnjoys.com

They usually have hard to find DC stuff; however, be prepared to pay through the nose for stuff.

Here's a linky to help: http://www.toysnjoys.com/access_dc_2.html

Have fun! Very Happy

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:49 pm
quote : #6
shoutout33 wrote:
Toysnjoys.com

They usually have hard to find DC stuff; however, be prepared to pay through the nose for stuff.

Have fun! Very Happy

NO DO NOT BUY FROM THAT COMPANY

Toysnjoys are bad business. They will sell you an item, that they don't have in stock and will either not get back to you about your purchase at all, or simply mail you stuff you never ordered in the first place. Most of the items for sale on their site are out of stock. Do not buy from them. It will be nothing but problems.
Posted:
Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:00 pm
quote : #7
To me it doesnt seem worth it to pay that much for a controller for 1 game

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:55 pm
quote : #8
maxkill42 wrote:
To me it doesnt seem worth it to pay that much for a controller for 1 game
i agree. it would take one hell of a VOOT fan to pay out the nose for twin sticks. or someone who has a lot of extra money laying around.
Posted:
Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:38 pm
quote : #9
Well, Virtual On is a game that is greatly enhanced by using these sticks. A standard controller can work okay, but... its not the same.

Just don't buy from Toys N Joys. That place is like BuyRite (old time video game scammer company).
Posted:
Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:56 am
quote : #10
I bought my TwinStick on Ebay for 170€ (I'm French) at a time when the price in dollars was the same than in euro.

In fact, VOOT can be played with the standard controller, but it's nothing compared to the TwinStick. With it, you can move much more precisely, giving your VR a much bigger set of direction dependin on how your move your sticks, with the game controller you have only 8 directions.

When I played with it for the first time, I realised that it was like I had been playing The House of the Dead 2 with the game pad for many years until I got a lightgun. It's really not the same experience. It's really necessary for a higher level of gaming as there are moves you can hardly perform without the TwinStick, or not with the same precision. For exemple "Quick Step -Close Quarter Combat" are nearly impossible to perform with a game pad, but really natural to perform with the TwinStick, same thing for piloting Cyper, Specineff or Dordray while performing their "forward dash attack".

By the way, the Twinstick can be used in many games but it works great with vertical Shoot'em Ups giving a great impression of piloting the spaceship as you can see in this video I made (the other games than VOOT do not recognize the right stick as a way to move)
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=R72DiQZcvEo
please note that I didn't knew Ikaruga for long when I made this video, I would play much better now. In fact ,as I have an Arcade Stick now, I do not really use the TwinStick for vertical Shmups, except for Under Defeat or when I play with a friend and we want to alternate the gamplays. It's better than the game pad, but not as good as an Arcade Stick.
Posted:
Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:27 am
quote : #11
Frédo you bring up a good point. just because twin sticks were made for VOOT doesn't mean we cant use them on other games. its some what like us using the fishing rod for soul calibur and tennis.

has anyone tried using the sticks with flight sims. such as Aero Wings/Dancing 1&2? even Irons Aces might be good?
Posted:
Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:31 am
quote : #12
I could not tell you for these games as I do not have them but you must forget every game that requires the Analog Stick or more than 4 buttons, as the TwinStick does not feature these, it is not possible to use it.

Basicly, most of the games that support the Arcade Stick can be played with the TwinStick as they do not always require the 6 buttons, but the TwinStick rarely gives a better feeling than the Arcade Stick does. Most of them are uncomfortable with the TwinStick because you need to hang a stick that you do not move (the right one), it can be really confusing and you'll often make mistakes about the buttons.

In fact, it's only suitable for games that do only manipulate one stick with the two buttons on it, the only ones I found were Shooters with only "Shoot" and "Bomb" actions required. Finally, it's more realistic with vertical Shooters because of the direcetions, pushing the stick forward makes the ship go forward instead of making it move to the left in horizontal Shooters.

considering all these factors, the only game I have that is really great with the TwinStick is Under Defeat, only 2 buttons required, vertical, simulates the piloting stick of a helicopter. Even Ikaruga is not so great with the TwinStick because you must manipulate the other stick if you want to have a button for the "release power" action, or you have to use "Shoot + Color change" to trigger it, which is really uncomfortable. Another problem, as you can see in my video of Ikaruga, you only play with one hand on the left stick, if (like me) you are right-handed, it's really not comfortable if you are used to play with the TwinStick on your knees, that requires you to play with the TwinStick on a desk like in the video. Basicly, left-handed people won't have this problem at all.
Posted:
Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:20 am
quote : #13
http://cgi.ebay.de/Total-Control-3-Adapter-Saturn-Twinstick-Mode-NEU_W0QQitemZ180316250176QQcmdZView ItemQQptZPC_Viedeospielzubehör?hash=item180316250176&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1229%7C66% 3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
+

http://cgi.ebay.de/Sega-Saturn-Twin-Stick-Virtual-On_W0QQitemZ180316248461QQcmdZViewItemQQptZde_ente rtainment_games?hash=item180316248461&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1229%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
Posted:
Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:59 pm
quote : #14
lordnikon wrote:
shoutout33 wrote:
Toysnjoys.com

Have fun! Very Happy

NO DO NOT BUY FROM THAT COMPANY

Toysnjoys are bad business. They will sell you an item, that they don't have in stock and will either not get back to you about your purchase at all, or simply mail you stuff you never ordered in the first place. Most of the items for sale on their site are out of stock. Do not buy from them. It will be nothing but problems.

Sort of like my own personal experience with the GOAT store!