Page Location: Home > Support > Get Your Dreamcast Online > Topic
Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:13 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I know this is laziness on my part, because I could just set it up and try it, but just humor me if you have some experience with this.

Last week I upgraded my satellite tv equipment, and the installer said I would save $5 per month by hooking up our receivers to phone lines. I already knew this, but the nearest phone jacks to the receivers, just don't make it realistic. Anyway, he sold us this device that wirelessly connects the satellite receiver to the phone line. There is a device attached to the wall where the phone jack is, and another device on the back of the receiver.

Actually, here is a link to what it is, the Easy Jack 2:
http://www.phonex.com/prd_px211.htm

Think this might work for dreamcast online? If so, it would make my set-up a lot easier for me to manage. My DC is currently packed away, or else I'd just do this myself, but I don't really want to make a mess right before the holidays.
rank 20
Posted:
Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:33 am
quote : #2
I tried doing this with something that looked just like that made by AT&T. I was only going from one room to another but I could never get it to connect. Since Dial-up is more or less based on audio that represents digital information I think the signal degrades too much. However the device you linked to specifically mentions dial-up so maybe it's a little better quality.

My best guess is that you could probably get it to connect but it would introduce too many errors to make playing online games (where the connection needs to be as solid as possible) feasible or enjoyable.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:24 pm
quote : #3
yeah, thats what I thought would be the case. Wishful thinking, but it would eliminate the need for a 50 foot phone cord.