Page Location: Home > VS Link Games > Topic
Fev
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:01 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Is it possible to do link play over cat5? I want to play on two different tv's in different rooms and the normal link cable doesn't seem like a good solution.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:51 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
i know just about nothing about voot. but i am going to go out on a limb and say not possible. if VOOT had any type of LAN other than VS cable im pretty sure we would all know about it Wink

as for a solution to your problem? i would either bring both TVs in the same room. or buy a VGA box to connect one Dreamcast to a PC monitor and use the other on a TV. other than that idk, the only thing i can think of is to extend a normal VS cable and run it into the other room.
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:27 am
quote : #3
I may have just got a crazy idea. Is there a pinout schematic anywhere of the Dreamcast link cable? I wonder if it would be possible to cut up a link cable and make a cat5 adapter... If it uses the same/less wires and same/less power.. That might work right? I have cat5 ports through out the house going through the walls, so if I could make an adapter like that... Wow.. Sweet times =).

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:43 am
quote : #4
Type: PAL
Nikon isn't gonna like this scheming, crazy ideas with no knowledge behind them are trouble Cool
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
Fev
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:49 am
quote : #5
If someone can find a pinout of this adapter I'll so order one and put some man hours into it.

Posted Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:08 pm:

My over all goal is to link two systems in different rooms. Is possible at all though cat5... Modded link cable, broadband adapter, whatever.. I'd be a happy panda.

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:44 pm
quote : #6
You wouldn't even need a pinout really. Just make sure that the two cables you make are consistent with each other. I don't really see any reason why it wouldn't work, unless distance is an issue.

This isn't "crazy scheming without any knowledge," it's innovative problem solving. If he was talking about running the cable into a router and going wireless or even wired, then yes I would say that is scheming with no knowledge, but since his house is wired for cat5 it should be as simple as sending a signal over a couple of wires to another point in the house.

If there are any network hubs or routers involved in your home's wiring then that would be an issue. You would also probably want to unplug any other devices besides the dreamcasts that are using cat5 connections.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
Fev
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:43 pm
quote : #7
All connections in the house goto a closet that holds a router/switch combo. Both the two ports with Dreamcasts can be bridged in that room instead of going through the router/switch.

I guess mainly what I need to know is, what cables are voltage and ground (if there is one), how much voltage is it, and how many cables are there? And are ALL the cables used? I've modded some controllers for others systems in the past and they has 1-2 extra wires that were unused.

I don't have a seond Dreamcast to test with, or a Link cable. No where local seems to sell DC link cables.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:00 pm
quote : #8
i am a little confused as to what your attempting. are you wanting to play voot via Dreamcast broad band adapters? or are you wanting to splice a cat5 with a standard VS cable? if your planning to use 2 Dreamcast BBAs, not only is that expensive i don't think it would work at all.

if you are going to try to connect one end of the VS cable to a cat5 then run it through your network and on the other end connect another cat5 to the second half of a VS cable.... idk, might work Question

Last edited by gary_b on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:05 pm
quote : #9
gary_b wrote:
i am a little confused as to what your attempting. are you wanting to play voot via Dreamcast brand band adapters? or are you wanting to splice a cat5 with a standard VS cable? if your planning to use 2 Dreamcast BBAs not only is that expensive i don't think it would work at all.

if you are going to try to connect one end of the VS cable to a cat5 then run it through your network and on the other end connect another cat5 to the second half of a VS cable.... idk, might work Question

Yeah... After looking at prices of Broadband adapters and reading the VOOT may not even support that as a link option... Forget that.

I want to splce a cat5 cable with a standard VS Cable, yes =D.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:08 pm
quote : #10
Link cables are pretty hard to come by. For your project I would try and pickup a Dragoncast VS Link Cable. Their reliability is spotty. Some work and some do not. The official cables are much rarer, almost non-existant, and are valuable. So I wouldn't strip apart an official cable. The Dragoncast cables are a perfect for stripping down and experimentation.

Since people would take DC VS cables and strip them down to create what is called a "coders cable", it is theoretically possible to create an extended DC VS cable. Whether or not you can route this through a cat5 interface, I am not sure. I know you can definatly make a longer extended cable if you have the knowledge, but I think trying to get it to go through a cat5 socket could be tricky.

Also, do note that VOOT does not support the BBA. It only supports the dialup modem for online play that has long been terminated, and then it supports the VS LINK cable.

NOTE: To what lozz stated above, the only threads that get taken down are ones that are pretty extreme in terms of theory. Its when people go off the deepend and start talking about trying to setup a mirror between the monitor and the TV, that would refract light off of jupiter and fire the data into the DC's modem fast enough to simulate broadband. This usually happened when people would talk about resurrecting online games. However since we have a spot about that in the forum rules, this rarely happens any more, and most technical threads posted on the boards/support areas are pretty logical in nature. Let's not discuss this further though, and continue discussing the topic at hand which is splicing and rewiring VS Cables.
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:34 am
quote : #11
A few years ago I tried to extend a VS cable aswell. From what I remember you need a cable with about 9 'cables' inside. I never finished the project and just putted two TV's next to eachother.
Posted:
Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:59 am
quote : #12
Type: NTSC-U
it would be easier to just try to make a really long cable, i dont know if the cat5 and the router bit would really work. it would be very interesting if you could really do it. i say go for it

Nico0020
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:51 am
quote : #13
Type: NTSC-U
I've been planning on picking up a set of the dragoncast vs cable after I buy a 2nd set of twin sticks. You say they are spotty? What is really wrong with them?