Page 1 of 1
Sojiro
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:59 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
Hello all! I'm new to this site and am trying to get this PC-DC server going but i've hit a wall here. First let me give the info on what i'm using here:

1. Windows 98 with VMware, with XP as the host OS.

2. Dynex 56K V.92 USB External Modem (the one mentioned by mythos on these forums somewhere)

3. Dreamcast Modem 670-14140A

4. Followed the tutorial on these forums.

5. Using Web Browser 3.0

The problem i'm having is when attempting to connect with the dreamcast, I have the Dial-Up server up and ready but it never changes from monitoring. I have everything set correctly according to the guide and i'm still at an end as to whats wrong. My guess is that either there are extra steps which I need to do considering i'm using VMware, or that the DC modem I have needs to have a line voltage simulator in order for it to work. I appreciate any and all feedback I get.

Thanks,

Sojiro

UPDATE!

Ok so i've been messing with things and have made a connection!!! Ok so i'm going to elaborate on what I did to get going here (albeit user error for the most part). So as my post mentioned I never could get past the monitoring step from the dial up server, now the reason for this was that the modem wasn't properly installed ( Shocked doh!). I had installed it on COM2, going through the install (this time let windows autodetect the modem instead of manually installing it) it was put on COM3.

After readjusting the registry settings as the guide implies I fire up the dial up server hit connect on the DC and bam! it connects. All is not completely well though, I can load a page (think its the planet web browser webpage) but the connection shortly dies when I try to go to another site, (says the host name cannot be found), so now i'm off to track what DNS settings I need to adjust to keep the connection going. But this is a huge step in the right direction and I have renewed vigor in getting this going! I hope this may help anyone with similar problems (or provide a good chuckle to those who have it going Razz ) and I will post again if/when I get further along and everything set up right. Heres hoping I get to meet some of you onilne!!! Very Happy

Cheers,

Sojiro

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:58 am:

Second update!

I believe I have the DNS issue taken care of, I enabled DNS forwarding through winroute on the 98 virtual box, and changed one of the DNS IPs on my DC to my router, (the other IP is set to a private action/rpg server Wink ). But with the web browser I don't seem to be getting disconnected randomly anymore! It does seem a bit slow even for dial up but I could just be so used/spoiled with my DSL connection to truly remember dial up connection. The only issue I have now is that I get random DC's on a certain action/rpg I play. Going to try forwarding some ports on my router to see if that helps any, so close yet so far away Laughing.