Page 1 of 1
lisalover1
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:53 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
I've always wondered why people would go through the trouble of linking consoles [Not through network]. Why not just play 2-player mode? Sure, the screen is normal size in link, but I really don't see why anyone would want to do it. So, what's your opinion on this? Maybe someone who has linked before can explain some advantages.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:22 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
When linking a console such as the Dreamcast in a local environment, you get a few advantages. Each player gets to see the full screen viewing area, and cannot see the other players screen (if you have your 2 displays setup that way). It can be better for competition purposes. Also, its an interesting hobby project. Tracking down the necessary hardware and games, and putting it all together can be quite fun. However lately for many it is proving to be rather difficult due to issues with third party VS cable reliability.

Going the extra mile to setup a VS LINK environiment can be very rewarding, especially if you have some friends who would want to come over and use it on a regular basis. You sort of have to be a pretty serious player to jump into linked gaming as it involves setting up 2 Dreamcast Console setups, with duplicates of the game to get it all working. If you plan on going with F355 or Virtual On, then things such as steering wheels or twin sticks come into question. Buying duplicates of these obviously aren't cheap.

In most cases I think splitscreen gaming works just fine, but if you want to dive into a much more unique multiplayer experience, locally linked gaming is always a great option.
Posted:
Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:36 pm
quote : #3
I always wonder why there's not an option to plug 2 , 3 or 4 tvs to the same console?
Posted:
Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:46 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U
For spltiscreen we would set up a table as a divider so that you couldnt see each others screens. It is much more intense with System Link.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:03 pm
quote : #5
pannta wrote:
I always wonder why there's not an option to plug 2 , 3 or 4 tvs to the same console?

To do that the Dreamcast would have to render entirely different images across multiple displays. You would essentially need a console that is 2-4 times as powerfull to accomplish this.
Posted:
Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:25 pm
quote : #6
If you play VOOT in 2-player mode, you will see that the graphics' quality is very low compared to single-player mode.

Playing VOOT in Link-versus mode will give each player the render of a single-player mode.
Posted:
Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:28 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
To do that the Dreamcast would have to render entirely different images across multiple displays. You would essentially need a console that is 2-4 times as powerfull to accomplish this.

Wowza. That thing would have to have 4 av outs, probably 4 video encoders, massive ram, processing power etc. Too bad you can't just network 4 Dreamcasts together instead of a 1 to 1 link cable. Maybe if the BBA had taken off...
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven