Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
peens
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:57 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
i have 3 dialup modems and i am wondering if there is a way to tell what speed they all are, i havent pulled them out of the dreamcasts yet, so try not to make me feel too stupid if there is like a sticker right on it. thanks

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:54 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
i go by region, this works for most modems. if you live in the US or Canada its 56k. if you live in Pal land its 33k. if you have a Jpn DC it could be 33 or 56k.
Posted:
Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:24 pm
quote : #3
so i could assume they are all 56k which is good. alough it is possible that a 33k slipped into the mix? they are not region protected, correct?

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:30 pm
quote : #4
what region is your Dreamcast? if it is NTSC/U then yes your modem is 56k. the chances that someone popped a 33k on it is very very slim. no they are not region protected, at least i never heard of them being so.
Posted:
Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:42 pm
quote : #5
yeah they are both NTSC/U. i was just wondering because one of my modems doesnt work so i bought one offline just by itself and i an just trying to see what speed it is. although i did buy it from the states, i just wanted to know if it could have been 33k. thanks

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:52 pm
quote : #6
i see. well Dreamcast ™ has done some work with Dreamcast modems recently. if you take the modem off and look at the model numbers you can tell if they are from the US. models 670-14140B or 670-14140A are both US 56k modems. how ever i can't say for sure that PAL modems are different models. it seems likely that they are though.

here is the thread about Dreamcast ™'s work with the modems.
Posted:
Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:41 am
quote : #7
thanks, that is very hepful