Page Location: Home > Support > Get Your Dreamcast Online > Topic
Unerd_01
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:14 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Bit of a long shot this i know, but, is there anyway of running two (or more) Dreamcasts online through dial up ( i only have one phone line)?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Posted:
Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:35 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
Having two dial up connections on the same line is not possible. You can send two signals at the same time, that's how ADSL works, but they have to be sent through different channels or they will interfere in each other and result in disconnection. The only way would be getting a broadband connection and setting two DC-PC servers, or maybe using two BBA's (or one BBA and one dial up account), but again, you need a broadband connection for that.

mrandyk
rank 19
Posted:
Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:50 pm
quote : #3
2 dreamcasts online through dial up on the same line is like trying to make 2 phone calls to different people when the phones are on the same line.
fanoid
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:50 am
quote : #4
Hey

I've got no idea if this will help u but i remember comming across this one day when searching. It says its i dial up router which can connect 2 external anolog modems.

http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/Families/RouteFinder_102/

again ive no idea if this will do what u are wanting i just thought id add it

cheers

fanoid

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:00 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
Even if you were able to get it working..

It more then likely wouldn't have enough bandwidth to support two connections.

mrandyk
rank 19
Posted:
Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:34 pm
quote : #6
well i may be way off when i say this, but if you have a 56k connection with 2 56k modems then maybe you would get like 28k connection speed for both which is like the pal modems. i could be horribly off though and it would definitly be slower.
gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:42 am
quote : #7
Actually 56k modems have a peak connection of 53.3 I believe.

But some people, ( including me ) don't connect even close to 53k.

Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:57 pm
quote : #8
If you have broadband and extensive knowledge of routing, then I imagine one could rig up a computer with multiple voice modems to a single ethernet card.

nintendo_DS
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:27 am
quote : #9
YES, you can, it is called ICS... internet connection sharing

like a few people in this thread have already stated, you would be really slow on both systems, only prolly grabbing about fax speed 14.4 kbps...

so there is almost no reason in the world you would ever want to use ics... ever
...look around and ask yourself if there's anyone better qualified...at that point in time. If...'yes,' ask them to accept command, and do everything you can... If...'no,' ...then take your best shot. That's all any of us can do.
peens
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:25 pm
quote : #10
Type: NTSC-U
mrandyk wrote:
2 dreamcasts online through dial up on the same line is like trying to make 2 phone calls to different people when the phones are on the same line.

remember when 3 way calling was really cool? and you would just call 2 friends just to be cool and say "we are all taking at the same time"

anyway you could always just get a second phone line. I did that once. it was great back in the dialup days... which are still very much alive for the dreamcast i suppose