Page Location: Home > Classic Sega > Topic
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:45 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I just got a SCART RGB cable for my genesis and all I can say is WOW! It's like I'm coming out of the dark ages, everything is so crystal clear and bright.

I got a transcoder to turn the RGB into Component (because the US is slow in the head and thinks nobody needs or wants RGB). I'm jealous of those of you in Europe with TV's that will accept an RGB signal since a lot of you have probably been playing this way for years. Crying or Very sad

I just thought I would share that with you all.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:10 pm
quote : #2
So you can use an SCART cable, with a transcoder to component, on a US system?
Posted:
Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:19 am
quote : #3
Yes sir, As long as the transcoder supports NTSC it will work on a US system.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:29 pm
quote : #4
What parts did you buy for this, and where did you get them? I read there is a difference between the Japanese RGB cables and a PAL SCART cable. Which one are you using? Also what transcoder? My spare TV accepts component, and I'd like to connect my genesis to it just to see what the clarity is like.
Posted:
Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:25 pm
quote : #5
I'm using this transcoder: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220347405861
The description says "scaler" but it's not. The input resolution matches the output.

I'm using the PAL SCART cable. I also got that off of ebay. Just search "megadrive scart"

The transcoder is the most expensive component (though much less expensive than similar items I found) and I was able to justify the cost because I'm using it with my genesis as well as my dreamcast.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:51 pm
quote : #6
I have been on a long journey to get my Genesis hooked into my console setup which is based on S-Video output. My TV only has 1 video channel. Which means if I have S-Video plugged in, it will default to that every time. If I plugin a composite (yellow) cable, it will do nothing. I have to unplug the s-video cable from the back of the TV in order for the composite cable to register.

Also, the only way I can get composite is to use my Sega CDX, which means I can't use my 32X since using it on the CDX is risky. You can fry your CDX.

The Genesis is right up there with the Dreamcast as my favorite game system of all time. It was a crime for me to not play my Sega Genesis as much as I should simply because it was a pain to connect. I spent months trying to solve this. While improved video clarity is a plus, all I really cared about was getting the Genesis hooked into my game setup so I could access it with the press of a button.

The biggest problems I ran into are:

1.) Rainbow crawls, highly noticable on pixel transparencies or white text.
2.) Vertical lines, that band from the top to the bottom of the screen.

Most Genesis models, as well as a percentage of NeoGeo consoles tried to improve the quality of Composite & RF Switch video feeds. They added these wierd vertical banding lines to try to crispen the image. Unfortunatly, this comes at a cost of S-Video and RGB clarity and these lines become immediatly noticable. On an S-Video modded sega genesis the lines were very noticable. Sonic the Hedgehog is the best game to test this, as you can see them clearly in the first stage against the blue sky.

The other nasty side effect is "rainbow" crawls. For the modded genesis it wasn't crawling and was stationary, however depending on the mod job or using another device it could crawl (more on that later). What this looks like is the fringes of say white text appear to have a multi colored edge to them. This is unbelievably distracting in Vectorman which uses white pixel grids to do transparencies. The bar level in Streets of Rage 2 has lights in it that will also display the rainbowing very prominantly.

So, I went in search of a device called the "XMD-3". You can read all about this here:

http://www.segagagadomain.com/hardware-mega/xmd-3.htm

I luckily stumbled upon one on Yahoo Japan and won it for about $115.00. These things are stupid insanely rare. Very hard to come by. I keep searching Yahoo Japan since I bought this and no more have cropped up.

When the item arrived, I immediatly tested it out on my Sega CDX. I was so dissappointed. It was worse than the modded genesis!!! Instead of the rainbow effect being still, now it was crawling across the screen and ruined the experience. Sprites seemed to shimmer, and you could also detect the vertical banding yet again ever so slightly. It wasn't as extreme as the modded genesis, but it was definatly still there.

So I box the thing up and throw in the towel. I didn't know what else to do.

A few days pass, and I have an epiphany. I remember reading an article over at sega-16.com that went over this device vaguely. It mentioned something about using the XMD-3 in conjunction with a Genesis to get s-video out of not only just the genesis but the entire setup of a Genesis/SegaCD/32X. I for some reason thought you needed a Genesis Model 2 in order to do that. Then I went back and read it, and it says "any model" genesis. So I break out all of these consoles again, and start testing.

I was really surprised to see the results! I am able to have all 3 systems interconnected and running on my TV via S-Video. The rainbow effects and vertical banding were somehow diminished or eliminated when connecting through the 32X. Somehow, this setup is the most ideal for the XMD-3.

I am yet unsure whether the vertical banding is more prominant in certain model 1/2 systems. All I own is a CDX and an early model 1 system. I have no other model 1's, or even a model 2 to run comparisons.
Posted:
Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:24 pm
quote : #7
WOW....that sound incredibly similar to my own journey and problems encountered along the way. I know what you're talking about with the vertical banding, at least I think we're talking about the same thing. In sonic 1 you can see the fairly wide bands in the sky as you move through the level? I've noticed this on all model 1's I've seen except for very late models, but never on my CDX or the genesis 2. The genesis 2 has a different problem - a weird pixel shift on sprites or something like that. You can notice it when comparing a model 1 to a model 2.

I initially decided I would scrap my hope of playing on a model 1 genesis/Sega CD combo and just use my CDX. However, because of the cram job they did to get all the components in there it introduced too much interference into the composite video signal.

I then decided to mod my model 1 for S-Video. The result was horrendous. Solid colors looked like they were broken up into "pixels."

I read somewhere that using the 32x got rid of banding because it pulled straight RGB from the Genesis and had its own video encoder for composite. I bought a 32x and it solved the banding issue but I wasn't completely happy because I was still using composite video and had to deal with all the downfalls of that. Plus, the 32x on top of a genesis/cd combo is not very aesthetically pleasing.

An XMD-3 came up on ebay and I got outbid in the last minute and it went for only $60 or something like that.

I let the situation go for about a year, then while working on getting component video out of my Dreamcast I realized "Hey, this could work for my genesis too!" I got it to work with the equipment mentioned above and sold my CDX for a nice $250.