Previous  1, 2
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:46 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
(if possible make a new thread for Cosmic Carnage please so this discussion stays focused on shooters)

Kolibri is a really great game. It is different from other shooters because you can fly in either direction. It is free roaming horizontal. So dodging enemy fire involves your quick movements as a humming bird to fly around.
Posted:
Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:23 am
quote : #17
i had a chance to play it a little bit more. it is definitely different. i wasn't expecting this much of a challenge from it. it isn't like most games where you are a ship of some kind. being a hummingbird changes the game play quite a bit. after i clear out some bugs more hummingbirds take over the area. then i will inch over to kill some more bugs, then the new birds confuse me. ill get hit by the enemy thinking i am a different bird. I'm sure more practice will eliminate this though.
Posted:
Sat May 30, 2009 10:48 am
quote : #18
What would you say are some of the more affordable shmups for the Genesis? I recently acquired an actual Genesis console (before, I only had a Nomad) and want to put a shooter collection together.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat May 30, 2009 2:37 pm
quote : #19
Below is a complete list of North American shooter releases. I own most of these and for almost all of them I paid less than 20.00 for them complete. The 2 most expensive shooters are MUSHA and KEIO Flying Squadron. MUSHA complete goes for quite a bit of money, though you can get it as cart only for about 30 bucks. Try and find complete versions of many of these games for under 20.00, and do go for complete. Many of these games have very different cover art than the traditional Genesis branding, especially the titles published by Renovation (amazing company logo as well). Renovation was probobly the biggest single import publisher on the genesis. They published Air Buster, Arrow Flash, Elemental Master, Gaiares, Whip Rush, and Vapor Trail.

*note that I omitted Zaxxon Motherbase 2000 from this list, basically because the game is so laughably unplayable. If you want an isometric shooter, get Viewpoint for the Genesis as it is a fantastic conversion of the NeoGeo original. Avoid Zaxxon on 32X, it is bad news.

Horizontal

• Air Buster
  • Arrow Flash
  • Atomic Robo-Kid
  • Bio-Hazard Battle
  • Forgotten Worlds
  • The Gadget Twins
  • Gaiares
  • Hellfire
  • Insector X
  • Sagaia
  • Sol-Deace
  • The Steel Empire
  • Thunder Force II
  • Thunder Force III
  • Thunder Force IV
  • Trouble Shooter
  • Whip Rush
  • Wings of Wor
  • (SegaCD) Android Assault
  • (SegaCD) KEIO Flying Squadron
  • (SegaCD) Lords of Thunder
  • (SegaCD) Sol-Feace
  • (32X) Kolibri

Vertical

• M.U.S.H.A.
  • Battle Squadron
  • Crossfire
  • Elemental Master
  • Fire Shark
  • Grind Stormer
  • Phelios
  • Raiden Trad
  • Task Force Harrier EX
  • Truxton
  • Twin Cobra
  • Vapor Trail
  • (SegaCD) Silpheed
  • (SegaCD) Robo Aleste

Isometric

• Viewpoint
Posted:
Sun May 31, 2009 3:33 pm
quote : #20
I have played Zaxxon Motherbase 2000 before. Atrocious game. Don't blame you for excluding it.

I was actually looking at a complete copy of MUSHA a few days ago, but never bid on it. Ended up selling for over $100! Shocked

Also, just in case anyone is curious, I happened to stumble upon the infamous Air Buster/Kaneko glove while browsing eBay. You can view it here and here. So awesome! Mr. Green

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun May 31, 2009 3:50 pm
quote : #21
Shocked i think i need some cool Kaneko gloves. i'm sure my game would be elevated to the next level Laughing nice find Mytho, btw how much were they selling the gloves for?
Posted:
Sun May 31, 2009 9:40 pm
quote : #22
The auction was for the glove and a complete copy of Air Buster. Buy it Now was at $75, though the seller was taking offers.

Doubt you'll ever find the glove separately, but you never know.