Page 1 of 1
Jaesonx5
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:23 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I'd like to know what anybody thinks about the possibility of there being a website set up for DC compatible videos to be uploaded to it for others to view and possibly incorporate profile pages for D.C. fans into this website or possibly even that website becoming part of OC or not?
What would it take for something like that to happen? Is the expertise to set that up available? Putting together the software to do so and then working it into a system for the purpose of DC enthusiasts to use and enjoy? What kind of server would have to be used and is it available? I really think this is a good idea and am sure many others do so also!!
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:34 pm
quote : #2
The software exists to encode dreamcast compatible videos. The question is: Is it worth it? Hosting videos would require more bandwidth which equals more expense. The videos can only be about 20 seconds long (basing this on the length of videos at dreamcast.planetweb.com) because they have to be downloaded and stored in the Dreamcast's RAM.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
Jaesonx5
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:21 am
quote : #3
I've seen where somebody had recorded 5 vids in a row for a minute-long series to complete the topic he had. I wonder how much the bandwidth would cost compared to what OC costs and how would it be paid? How would this be started? How many Dreameye owners are there out there? Would a petition have to be signed?
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:21 am
quote : #4
Aside from all of the technology hurdles I think the biggest issue really is the content that people would be including in them. When you think about it, the process of encoding the videos, then accessing them is all Dreamcast related. However I think that is where it ends. People are going to be showing their cat, or talking about all of the same randomness you see on youtube and other services.

I actually think what would be more interesting are Dreameye recordings. Which can be easily downloaded and viewed off the VMU. Not only are they super ghetto and oldschool, but it would be nice to have up a simply page on the site with just some simply "Hello" messages from people talking on the Dreameye. I think this would keep the interest focused on the Dreamcast and its technology without getting into anything and everything offtopic related that could be presented through a "tube-esque" type video site.
Posted:
Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:42 am
quote : #5
Would that SD-card hooked up with that cable in the serial port were to have it's software loaded onto a disc with the Dreameye software come in handy in recording longer vids?
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:39 am
quote : #6
Jaesonx5 wrote:
Would that SD-card hooked up with that cable in the serial port were to have it's software loaded onto a disc with the Dreameye software come in handy in recording longer vids?

It may or may not, I don't know the technical details, but your target audience would then be smaller than the already small dreamcast community.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
mjgaming
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:16 am
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U
Well I know for a fact that videos are very expensive to stream. I have had a couple on my website before and have taken them off because they require too much bandwidth. Also I know that games are bandwidth hogs but guess what I chose to make my website AN ARCADE!!!
Posted:
Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:42 pm
quote : #8
I think what would be real helpful with any of this is new software or software that has been translated from Japanese to English!
YO-Q
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:21 am
quote : #9
nice concept but realistically it is unfortunately not worth it. Bandwith would kill you as people mentioned. Best thing is to Create your own Channel on youtube and you can upload it in HD now and all free and easy to network and get views