Page 1 of 1
Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:02 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Ok i am now getting in preperation to create my own PC to DC server. But i need some questions answered before i make a big mess up of everything.

1. Is it possible to make one using a Laptop?
2. Because my Lappy is on a Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit (Soon to be 64-Bit) operating system, would it be ok running Windows 98 through the Virtual PC?
3. Is it any different using a PAL 33K modem?
4. My Laptop is on a wireless connectioon, would that cause any problems?
5. Last but not least, will i be able to use the internet on my Laptop whilst online on the Dreamcast?

Thank you
PSO: Saturn

Selling my Dreamcast Broadband Adapter, contact me via private message if you are interested
SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:39 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I will answer your questions as if everything in the world worked the way it should. In reality you could run into a whole set of problems related to your particular circumstances.

1. Yes it can work on a laptop assuming you have the right hardware.
2. Virtual PC can be used to run a PC-DC server, just make sure virtual PC is set up to recognize your modem. (If I remember right you have to map it to the comm1 port or maybe it's easier than I remember)
3. The 33K modem is just fine because the max speed that a DC-PC server connects at is 33K
4. Potentially but not likely if your connection is working fine in the first place.
5. You will be able to use the internet as long as you didn't forward all ports to the Dreamcast.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
llNoyall
rank 4
Posted:
Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:25 pm
quote : #3
I shall answer your questions with the same mindset as SEGA RPG FAN, with everything working out correctly just had you planed.

1: As long as your laptop has a serial port for your modem then you should be fine (usb modems will not work (see answer 2 as to why)).

2: There should be no problem in using a 64bit os over a 32bit. I have a semi-working PC-DC (internet browsing only) server currently working on the beta build (7000) of Windows 7 using Virtual PC. So your host os shouldn't cause you any trouble. Virtual PC doesn't have usb support, so if you modem is usb based there you maybe out of luck.

3: I've had problems with my 33k modem with the PC-DC server and had to buy a US 56k modem. After that it worked fine.

4:My desktop is on wireless, and I can connect to the internet fine with my DC, just can't play games atm (could be down to the wireless).

5: When installing Windows 98, you will need to select which network adapter you wish to use for the internet connection, be sure to use the wireless network adapter you currently use for your internet. For me, I forwarded all my ports to my Dreamcast when I was trying to connect to Q3 online. I was unable to use the internet on the host and guest os. I do not know if this was due to winroute, or the fact that I selected to use my wireless adapter. When I tired to use the NAT setting for the adapter, I was unable to connect to the internet with the guest os. You may run into confliction errors on the guest os with the host os mac address, I have yet not found a way around this but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I'm still working on trying to get a fully functional server working. I will be trying a wired connection next to see if that yeilds any better results. Good look, and if it works fine for you then please help me!

P.S i'm in the UK, just to let you know.
Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:22 am
quote : #4
Ok last few questions whilst i'm sorting out my virtual PC.

The Line Voltage simulator, Would i need one in my setup? also if so, what are they used for?

Adding onto the wireless network, my Laptop has a built in Wi-Fi to pick up my wirelness network and i don't think Windows 98 can do that?

Selling my Dreamcast Broadband Adapter, contact me via private message if you are interested
llNoyall
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:10 am
quote : #5
1: If your using the 33k modem, then yes you will. That's if you can get it to work at all.

2: Vitural PC installs an older NIC onto Windows 98 to use instead of the WIFI drivers needed for you real WIFI adapter. So in short, you'll be fine. Getting Windows 98 to run its internet over the LAN is tricky though.

Posted Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:46 pm:

Ok I now have a working PC-DC server running Windows 98 (guest) on Windows 7 beta (host0. I'm thinking about writing up a tut, so i'll post again when it's done.
Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:20 am
quote : #6
I've somehow managed to get an internet connection on Windows 98, so hopefully i might be able to get something working.

llNoyall
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 am
quote : #7
Is Windows 98 complaining about IP conflicts by any chance?
peens
rank 9
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:46 am
quote : #8
Type: NTSC-U
The guide for this says it isn't compatible with winXP, which my laptop is running on right now. Would a virtual PC runnin on win98 solve this, or is it just not compatible with winXP?

Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:33 am
quote : #9
llNoyall wrote:
Is Windows 98 complaining about IP conflicts by any chance?

I don't think so no, i haven't had chance to play around with it yet before i sort the Dreamcast out.

Adding on to my list of problems, my Dreamcast is all set, but i think i have messed up with the modem or have done something wrong with my laptop. Because i'm still confused what i was mean't to do with the modem part.

alienfrontoffline
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:09 am
quote : #10
http://www.virtualbox.org

Sun VirtualBox allows virtual Windows 98 installation with USB support. I have a dynex usb 56k voice modem, and I'm trying to avoid having to reformat my xp install.

I will report back on if I get a PC-DC server running with this virtual box, 98 is installing right now.