Page Location: Home > Support > Get Your Dreamcast Online > Topic
fattony
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:58 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
My ISP is VTISP and I`m using gmail I enter 995 for pop3 and 465 for SMTP when I try to send a challenge on sega swirl it says it couldn`t send it to the server and I did try 2 different email addresses I read that info http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com /phpBB2/guides_getonline.php#7 It didn`t really help does VTISP have a special SMTP like that info said?

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:06 pm
quote : #2
gmail accounts require an encrypted SMTP connection. Planetweb does not support this. Also, for future reference, when you enter pop3 and SMTP information it's asking for the server (such as pop.gmail.com) not the port.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
fattony
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:51 pm
quote : #3
Thanks do you know of any good email services??

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:37 am
quote : #4
Sega Swirl is an area of OC that needs a ton of work and documentation. In OC's entire existance I have yet to play Sega Swirl online with someone. So this is something myself and others need to work on to sort of get the ball rolling on Sega Swirl Wink

The one point I want everyone to be clear on is that typically getting POP3 email working on the Dreamcast or any other client requires that you use your ISP's SMTP server if the email you are using requires port 25. Which most do. That is why I posted the link in the other thread to the guide. It isn't so much about finding a working POP3 email service, but getting that service working on the Dreamcast itself.

The other point that SEGA RPG FAN brings up is SMTP "authentication", which the Dreamcast console itself does not support.

One POP3 address I signed up for maybe 1-2 years ago is LavaBit. The reason why I chose it was because the Dreamcast has a short char limit. I forget the exact number but email names have to generally be pretty small in PlanetWeb.

Here is the URL:

http://lavabit.com/

Let me know if you guys find any success with this.
Posted:
Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:14 am
quote : #5
Dang lavabit isn`t accepting new accoumts anyboby got a better idea??

Chris3025
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:02 am
quote : #6
Try this out: http://www.hotpop.com I found it while searching for pop3 providers

Favrenation
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:11 am
quote : #7
If you need someone to play sega swirl with I can play with you. Just PM me or email me at Favrenation@gmail.com
I have the computer version of the game and it can use any pop 3 email that is set up with outlook.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:22 pm
quote : #8
i tried to get Sega Swirl working a few months back. i spent a few days working for hours to get it working on the Dreamcast. i had success using my PC, but the Dreamcast never could send out a move to my dummy email accounts. the area that seemed to hold it back is the SMTP, as already stated. gmail worked when using a PC, but it failed on the DC though.

if planet web cant handle SMTP how can you play Sega Swirl online using the Dreamcast? could the version that is included in smash pack use a different web browser? i really doubt it, but who knows. even if it did use something like Dreamkey, does Dreamkey support SMTP? Sega Swirl is just a huge pain in the ass. Mad
Posted:
Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:33 pm
quote : #9
I remember when I looked the game up on ebay the webbrowser that came with it is something just called web borwser 2.0. I have know Idea what it is but. Here is the link to the picture of the web browser:[http://cgi.ebay.com/Web-Browser-2-0-with-Sega-Swirl-Game-Dreamcast_W0QQitemZ200403913974QQc mdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item2ea9010cf6][/url]

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:54 pm
quote : #10
hey Favrenation, i have no idea what this is "http://cgi.ebay.com/Web-Browser-2-0-with-Sega-Swirl-Game-Dreamcast_W0QQitemZ200403913974QQcmdZViewI temQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item2ea9010cf6][/url]"

it sounds like you have described planet web 2.0 to me. if you look at the back of the case it says planetweb on the bottom right. the GD-Rom disc also says planetweb on it on the left.
Posted:
Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:04 pm
quote : #11
Sorry I guess I typed the url wrong. My bad. After further investigation I found out that that is planet web. I just thought it would have a planet web written on the cd. Would using a homebrew browser work?

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:24 am
quote : #12
Favrenation wrote:
Would using a homebrew browser work?
i really don't see how a home brew browser would help? the game is on the planetweb disc and the sega smash pack disc. you cant just choose a web browser to try with it. its not like a PC where all you need to do is pick the right browser. your stuck with what ever the developer used.