Page 1 of 1
lisalover1
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:35 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
I like playing both Unreal Tournament and Quake III Arena, but I like Unreal Torunament's control scheme significantly more than Q3A's, particularly moving with the analog stick, and aiming with the face buttons. Is it possible to set up Q3A with UT's controls? I tried messing around in the options menu, but I just screwed things up more.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:08 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Quake 3 Arena allows you to completly configure the controls to however you want. So you can map any function to any button on the Dreamcast controller, keyboard, or mouse.
Posted:
Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:59 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U
i say just get a mouse and keyboard, or try and make a dual joystick dreamcast controller, that i will someday attempt to make. not one of those crappy ones that is just a piece of rubber over the face buttons. i want to disassemble 2 dreamcast controllers, take an analog stick completely off of one and the face buttons off the other, fashion the joystick onto where the face buttons go, polish it up, make it look pretty and call it a day. all for FPS dreamcast games. woot.

jjc5150
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:07 pm
quote : #4
As LordNikon Mentioned - you can pretty much set up the controller anyway you want to get it to work. There is a preset setting in the options, to set the controller up pretty similar to what your mentioning - Running with the Analog Stick, and aiming with the A and Y buttons. It works pretty well once u get used to it - I play with this setup myself when we play Quake each Friday. Although I gotta say that NO MATTER how you set it up - the Mouse and Keyboard Players will always have the "upper hand" and will usually dominate the match anyway. Crying or Very sad
Jabber ID: JJC5150@jabber.org
QuakeJunkie49
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:41 pm
quote : #5
yes, there is an UT control scheme in Q3. Pause, go to setup,controls and change to control scheme 3 it has same controls as UT

Macabre-Art
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:54 pm
quote : #6
peens wrote:
i say just get a mouse and keyboard, or try and make a dual joystick dreamcast controller, that i will someday attempt to make. not one of those crappy ones that is just a piece of rubber over the face buttons. i want to disassemble 2 dreamcast controllers, take an analog stick completely off of one and the face buttons off the other, fashion the joystick onto where the face buttons go, polish it up, make it look pretty and call it a day. all for FPS dreamcast games. woot.

I looked in to doing this a while ago, it isn't possible with stock dreamcast parts. Analog functions are sensitive digital signals based on an x/y axis, so you won't be able to put in the mere 4 commands from the a b x y buttons as another analog stick.

It would be easier to take the total control plus adapter and modify a ps2 controller, which has two analog sticks native to it. You will have to tinker with how the adapter picks up what signals from the ps2 controller, and i'm not really sure how a game would react to this.

Or, although pricier, you could try the twin sticks from a viruta on game (saturn & dreamcast released iirc, with the saturn the total control 3 adapter should have an option to use the twin sticks). These sticks are analog based (giant analog sticks), and you could use the controllers circuit board to fashion some sort of...bulky...controller.