Page Location: Home > StarLancer > Topic
mjgaming
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:20 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
Hello, I know that this game is official online but is gamespy just hosting the master list and when people create a game they are the server????

Also why is this game still online anyways? Because gamespy stopped support for other GameSpy games!

I'm not crying about it still being online because it is great. I love to be able to pick up the controller and just start to play without going through some alternative way.
Posted:
Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:37 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
For Starlancer, GameSpy hosts the Master List, which is a meeting point where user hosted servers are listed. You create a server from Starlancer running on the Dreamcast. When you create an online match, it is listed in the Master List for other players to access and join.

Starlancer is still officially online because neither the developer nor the publisher has made an attempt to terminate the game.

The original Developer called Digital Anvil no longer exists, and the publisher "Crave" is not going to go out of their way to shutdown the game. Crave probobly forgot all about Starlancer. The only company that has the power to terminate Starlancer now is GameSpy themselves, but they don't normally shutdown specific titles on their own. Like so many titles in their system, GameSpy doesn't really know its in there. Its just a part of the vast sea of online games that they host Master Lists for.

The only way Starlancer is going offline, is if GameSpy does some sort of mass spring cleaning one day and decides to shutdown and consolidate all of their hosted online servers. It is difficult to predict when they might do this.
Posted:
Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:37 am
quote : #3
How much of their resources is hosting this master service list requiring? Hopefully it will stay up for a while.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:25 pm
quote : #4
Resource consumption doesn't factor into their decision to maintain the master list's functionality. It will stay up for as long as GameSpy retains the overall function of their service. In the event of a shutdown we have an alternative for playing Starlancer online, so there is nothing to worry about.
Posted:
Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:44 am
quote : #5
nice u guys have an alternative server for everything! i luv onllineconsoles! Smile