Page 1 of 1
mjgaming
rank 4
Posted:
Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:14 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
Ok I just thought I would ask. Is this game officially online anymore? I know games like starlancer and 4x4 evolution are. Just thought I would ask!
Posted:
Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:45 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yes, but in a different sense than some online games for the Dreamcast. The only thing that is hosted from ID software is the master server, which is essentially a collection of all current 3rd party hosted servers for Quake 3. Most of the servers that you play on in Quake 3 are hosted privately and unaffiliated with ID software. However, most servers send a heartbeat to the existing master servers of Quake 3, letting it know that a server is alive, active and responding to connection attempts. When you boot into Quake 3 on the Dreamcast it attempts to query for available servers, that is the master server sending it's latest information regarding the servers that it currently knows to exist, and compatible for Dreamcast players.

Quake 3 is essentially still official online, since the master server is still up and running to this day.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:41 am
quote : #3
Many PC FPS's and other games in the past had a Primary and Secondary master list entry in the configuration files. The Seganet master list was the primary. Though luckily, Raster Software (who ported Q3 to the DC) and id Software decided to include the main Quake 3 PC master list as the secondary fallback option. So Quake 3 Arena, is technically still online using official technology.

We do have a an alternative Q3 master list waiting though just in case id software ever drops support for Q3 on the PC... but that won't happen for decades.
Posted:
Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:33 pm
quote : #4
man i hope it lasts that long i love this game on both pc and dc wich i recently got online Very Happy

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:17 pm
quote : #5
Also, even if the master server were to go down for Quake 3, we can always drop the console in-game, and connect to a server manually by entering it's ip address.

bobbertime
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:21 pm
quote : #6
Would anybody be able to tell me why no games ever appear on my master server list?(I can however connect to servers by typing in the IP address)
Posted:
Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:51 am
quote : #7
how are u connecting bobber? dialup? BBA or PC/DC?
Jabber ID: JJC5150@jabber.org
bobbertime
rank 3
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2010 9:13 pm
quote : #8
i am connecting using dial up from AT&T
Posted:
Tue May 04, 2010 12:08 am
quote : #9
i play!

bobbertime
rank 3
Posted:
Tue May 04, 2010 2:02 am
quote : #10
nvm i got the master list when i was playin Q3 tonight. 12 games on the list but no players only bots Sad