Topic: sega's online service

Page 1 of 1
sonicteam10
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:25 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I am not really fimiliar with dreamcast online gaming because I got my dreamcast a year after all of the US servers were terminated, I would just like to know how segnet worked, how much was it, were the online games popular? and any other cool facts you would like to share.

Thanx!

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:49 am
quote : #2
Type: Pal
A good place to start might be the online games list at the top of the page. Look at all the terminated online games and then use the search function in the message boards to search for each game. That will give you a huge database of information to read up on dating way back when.

Laters
Posted:
Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:14 pm
quote : #3
Well what I do know is that Seganet was an ISP that sega sold for dreamcast and pc gamers.

doctorclu
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:41 am
quote : #4
How about a better approach to this... for those of you that experienced this, what was it like? And what were the things YOU liked to do?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:02 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was never able to play online using SegaNet but it really isn't all that different from what we are playing now. SegaNet wasn't really an online gaming service, as much as it was an ISP. Sega did make an effort to host tournaments for many games though, and the SegaNet ISP was designed to provide efficient dialup along with regionally specific servers to give users a faster online experience.
Posted:
Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:26 pm
quote : #6
Type: Pal
I realise this thread may have got a little off track previously. It may have come accross better to say that if you check my post history you will find specific threads I have written about this subject. They are quite long, hence my previous requests rather than typing them out again or simply copying and pasteing them in to multiple threads.

Laters
Posted:
Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:00 pm
quote : #7
Seganet was basically a very early XBL. You signed up with Sega and paid a monthly fee.

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:02 pm
quote : #8
SegaNet and XBL are completely different. SegaNet was an ISP like Bell or AOL. SegaNet was a way to access the internet in general. Another way to think of SegaNet is a PC / DC server that's at the other end of the phone line the Dreamcast dials out over. Once connected, then you can connect to servers, wherever they're hosted. They weren't centrally controlled like XBL's are.

Nintari
rank 3
Posted:
Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:22 am
quote : #9
XBL is a subscription based internet service that was invented by Microsoft and offered to Xbox owners to play games online. Seganet was a subscription based internet service that was invented by Sega and offered to Dreamcast owners to play games online.

That's what I meant by "Seganet was basically an early XBL".