Page Location: Home > General Online > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:26 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Does anyone have Metropolis Street Racer? I am looking to test swapping timetrials, the game saves them as unique filenames to what you named your timetrial circuit. So swapping them over this site or through email would be no different than swapping them over the now defunct MSR website.

if anyone has it and wants to test this, let me know.
Posted:
Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:40 am
quote : #2
i have it.would like to test it

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:01 pm
quote : #3
Sc4rfac3 wrote:
i have it.would like to test it

Awsome! I will create a file, and upload it to the net and link the file in this thread as soon as I can. Should be able to browse to this thread on your dreamcast and download the file to your VMU.

I bet this will work for sure Very Happy (lordnikon is optimisitic)
Posted:
Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:20 am
quote : #4
I'll give it a try. Is it up and running yet???

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:30 am
quote : #5
Oh old thread hehe yea we already tested this. Smile
Posted:
Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:39 pm
quote : #6
So how do i go about swapping ghost replays with folk? I wanna give it a go.

Just while i remember Niky, thanks for registering me. I've tried to change my preferences so i get mailed when a post shows up in a thread i've posted it. But it never works, though it works for PM's. Can you change it? Thanks, bye.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:41 pm
quote : #7
jools wrote:
So how do i go about swapping ghost replays with folk? I wanna give it a go.

Just while i remember Niky, thanks for registering me. I've tried to change my preferences so i get mailed when a post shows up in a thread i've posted it. But it never works, though it works for PM's. Can you change it? Thanks, bye.

AHHH well I'll cover a couple of things here. Ok first off regarding why you cannot change your preferences. I learned a few weeks ago that Dreamkey/Dreampassport browsers cannot register or change their preferences. I'm not quite sure how to fix this yet. You can have someone else register you, but updating your profile during registration or after jsut doesn't seem to work :[ But DreamKey/Dreampassport users can do every thing else just fine.

However it works with PlanetWeb Browser 100% fine. Registration and also updating your profile and browsing the site works completly with the Planet Web browser. Were working on still informing people and adding some information on this still. Developing the FAQ's takes some time hehe.

Ok now onto the topic at hand. Swapping MSR time trial ghost racers. We figured it out a few months ago. That the files can still be swapped. We tested this originally by using http://tools.planetweb.com to send the file to a remote ftp server, in VMI format then the users were able to download the file to their VMU to test the file and it worked.

However what we discovered in the past few weeks, is that sending fiales via email actually works. However you have to send emails using Dreamkey/Dreampassport. It will not work with planetweb because it jumbles the file code somehow. So you need a POP3 email account on your dreamcast that can send and recieve email. And the other users must have POP3 as well, and then you attach the ghost race file to the email and send it.

We are working on setting up a tutorial on this and also the MAIN thing is the mailing list. It will be a mailing list where users can send out the file and everyone subscribed to the mailing list will recieve a copy of the file Very Happy pretty neat huh Very Happy The really neat thing I think about MSR is that you can add your information to the file. Like the date, the user name and all this stuff. So its not just some bland ghost file. It has some real personality to it.

Also I love how the time of day the race was taken is reflected in the ghost file as well.

Anyways we are working on the MSR & Sega GT ghost racer mailing list now and also gathering some functional POP3 email accounts as well. There will be a news blurb about it when these features do go live Smile Until then your more than welcome to test out some of this with some of the references I have already explained.
Posted:
Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:14 pm
quote : #8
I'll try to get hold of a Planetweb browser disc then.

I'm really looking forward to swapping ghost replays with other racers. MSR has been gathering dust for ages, since i got F355. But this GREAT idea of yours will breathe new life into MSR for me. Can't wait.

Porto
rank 2
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2004 8:26 pm
quote : #9
I have made a site to change MSR records/ghost/rankings and trials....

http://msr.home.sapo.pt

it's in portuguese but if anyone is interested......

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2004 8:59 pm
quote : #10
Porto wrote:
I have made a site to change MSR records/ghost/rankings and trials....

http://msr.home.sapo.pt

it's in portuguese but if anyone is interested......

Nice Very Happy I look forward to seeing how it progresses :]
Posted:
Sun May 02, 2010 11:00 pm
quote : #11
Type: PAL
If anyone is interested, I have discovered a German MSR site that has numerous ghost downloads.

http://dcarena.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=51&Itemid=124

Also I uploaded some MSR replays on Youtube and have kept the relevant saves, so if anyone would like to chase my ghosts I can email them to you.
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2010 8:08 am
quote : #12
The unfortunate thing is, dcarena have not released the scripts for their rankings to the public for all to use, which goes against OC's code of ethics. So they are hoarding software. I had already spoken to them in the past about this but they simply refuse to release the scripts so anyone and everyone can use this functionality independent from central control.
Posted:
Mon May 03, 2010 1:57 pm
quote : #13
lordnikon wrote:
The unfortunate thing is, dcarena have not released the scripts for their rankings to the public for all to use, which goes against OC's code of ethics. So they are hoarding software. I had already spoken to them in the past about this but they simply refuse to release the scripts so anyone and everyone can use this functionality independent from central control.

Sorry to hear that. Sad It's a shame as they have quite a selection of ghosts, even though the majority of their times are unspectacular. Oh well, I guess I'll stick with Cyberscore for comparisions.
Posted:
Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:03 pm
quote : #14
Hello again, I've been rummaging around archive.org and have found the remains of MSR's webpage that was accessed via the game's browser. Here is the most interesting page.........

http://web.archive.org/web/20011030222845/www.metropolis.dream-key.com/usa/msr_011.php

The last link talks about New Time Trials on an 'exclusive course'. Did anybody here download these trials and if so were they really exclusive courses (ie not part of the existing 262 on offer)?

**EDIT 10 JULY 2010**

OK, so I found this old post with a link to the aforementioned trials.............

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1208

They DO NOT take place on unique tracks but on the existing 'Challenge' course in each district (ie Shinjuku Challenge, Westminster Challenge etc). The 'Fisherman's Challenge' file was missing so not sure what car/weather was selected...probably the Toyota Celecia GT4. Mystery solved (almost). Wink

Last edited by rjay63 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:45 am
quote : #15
I've decided to make my own Time Trial download page for Metropolis Street Racer.....

http://msr.netii.net (visit and download with your DC browser)

The first two Trials may be a little OTT so you may find the Lawnmower & London Bus ghosts more appealing. Have fun! Wink

Please note: these Trials were made using the PAL version of MSR so I'm not sure about compatibility with the NTSC version. Also, please also let me know if the ghosts become corrupt (ie driving into walls and accelerating against them) .