Topic: dreamcast get SD adapter

Page 2 of 2
Sea-Monkey
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:51 am
quote : #16
profile : pm
"The Dreamcast was the last console by Sega that had innovations that today's consoles have taken on board, i.e. broadband online gaming and innovative gaming controllers (such as the fishing controller). The console still lives on today, thanks to the support of the homebrew community that still churns out games and emulators and also the odd commercial release for the console by independent developers. Today the spark has been ignited by the fascinating release of an SD adapter for the Dreamcast that allows homebrew games to be played without the need to burn to disc. It's time to dust off those Dreamcast consoles and get back into free gaming. The same company have also released a Dreamcast modified with VGA support and a front-loading SD slot and its own BIOS. Awesome to relive some of those Dreamcast classics."
Also:

VGA Modified Dreamcast with Front SD Card Slot Released

The last item of news was fascinating for the Dreamcast Homebrew community, but this is equally as awesome, the same Chinese site has for sale a Dreamcast Modded with VGA Video Output and an SD Card Slot in the front and runs a Custom Bios, this is also totally region free and Homebrew friendly, bloody hell i want one so badly.

Heres the translation from the site:

Perfect version of the DC bare metal headphone jack with a VGA S AV AV interface before the plug is easy on the cat the cat is now upgraded to a full pull out of the back also comes in the DCFront SD card interface DC can be put into the SD card to play games head to read the disk saves to send a particular SD card boot disk to play FC MD SFC N64 NEOCD MAME GBA emulator and some dials are perfect to save the machine is also runningIntegrated development of machine BIOS chip DC Genuine no guide to the region can be directly read this so do not ask what version of the host has no other color version is limited to the host, please contact the owner DIY

Source:Slashdot,Gametab

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:31 am
quote : #17
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Dreamcast Community users have already successfully developed a Dreamcast SD Adapter mod that was announced way back in March of 2009 (see root topic). This situation is no different. It makes no sense to make such a brazen announcement that the SD adapter has been "released" (refering to the Slashdot poster). It is someone modding their own. There is no manufacturing process going on here. You can even see from the pictures that some of the parts are used and dirty:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7818521031

This is a slapstick operation where the seller is canibalizing parts to build these adapters. You might be asking yourself, what's wrong with that? Well, seeing as how this website focuses on network gaming...

The primary port that the Dreamcast SD Adapter interfaces with is the Dreamcast serial port. This is the port that the rare Dreamcast VS Serial Link cable connects to. Other rare devices also connect to this port, including the Dreamcast MIDI cable (which is even more rare). However the VS Cable is going to be the first target for anyone looking to make a fast buck. Why? VS Cables sell on average for $70 or more and they have 2 identical connectors on each end of the cable. Therefore, someone can strip this cable, and make 2 SD card adapters, and probobly make back double their money.

It is hard enough already to find a Dreamcast VS Cable (The official one). Sure you can come across a Dragoncast cable, but those are often defective. If people want to take the Dragoncast cables and repurpose them for SD Adapters, that is fine. However I see no reason to destroy rare official Sega Dreamcast VS Cables to make these adapters.

Side Note: It drives me nuts when people say "It's time to dust off those Dreamcast consoles". My Dreamcast doesn't have dust on it, because I actually play it. Unlike everyone else who dumps their consoles in the closet or sells them off, only to reference it during nostalgic flashbacks of Pizza and Powerstone with their drunken buddies at college. Going on to say "relive some of those Dreamcast classics" doesn't help either. This gives the impression of "Oh I would never actually play any of these Dreamcast games today. Let alone pay money for them and make space on my shelf. However now that this SD Adapter is around, maybe I'll pirate a few DC games and boot them up for just 5 minutes before forgetting about all of this and moving on to something else." Pfffff.

As soon as play-asia or a site similar to that is stocking Dreamcast SD Card Adapters, manufactured in bulk, I will start getting excited. Until then I feel these should be relegated to a do-it-yourself modding project. Modchip shops hacking up functional DC network cables to make these and sell them is nothing but bad news.