Page Location: Home > Quake III Arena > Topic
everynewday84
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:35 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I'd really like to know. Can Quake III be played online, over a 56k connection, with no lag?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:44 am
quote : #2
It can be played online with minimal lag. Spikes do happen, but with a really solid dialup connection (almost always paid), or a PCDC server, you can get almost broadband like performance with just minor shot delay.
Posted:
Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:29 am
quote : #3
There is lag, but it still is completely playable. The game was designed to be played over a dialup connection, and as a result, it is quite playable.

maddmaxx
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:55 pm
quote : #4
Depending on your connection to the ISP you can have slight to high lag in game. a long time ago there was a test ISP log in info floating around the net that i was using with my dreamcast and i got around a 90-95% full ping bar (maybe a little lower at times) when in game with a full room (and this is with dialup). PC players i played against said they seen me with a ping of 80-120ms and they swore that i was a PC user because of my ping times.

On my PC with this test ISP i was seeing speeds of around 12-14kbps down and around 5-6kbps up, i never seen these speeds before with dialup, normally with other well used dialup services you would see maybe on a good day speeds of 4-6kbps down and 2-3kbps up.

with using a normal dialup service i seen around 50-75% ping bar in the game (maybe lower), the PC players seen me having around a 180-200ms ping (and sometimes higher then that), at that level of ping it is very noticeable and hard to hit players with because you have to lead the shot by a lot, you ended up being killed more then you was doing the killing.

It is playable either way, you just have to learn by how much you have to lead the shot, if you nail that you can do well.